Growing Camellias from Cuttings

Is it possible to start a camellia from a cutting? And if so, how do I proceed? Do I use new growth? Please share your advice. It will be most appreciated.

By Barbara

Camelias are rooted from tip cuttings in June (just past the real new growth and below a nub). Take your cuttings and put them in a container with soil that drains good (vermiculite or styrofoam pebbles work to let it drain good.)

Keep the soil moist but not wet and take more cuttings than you need because it is your first try. If they don't root then next spring before the buds open cut some with old growth and place in bark and sand mixture keep moist but let dry out a little in between and that works for me.

google: rooting camelia cuttings and you'll have ample ideas.

I did it a little differently than the other person posted. I took end cuttings, put them in little pots with a good loose potting soil. I used Rootone as well to encourage root growth. I then placed all of the little pots in a tray inside a large clear plastic bag which I tied at the top after watering the cuttings. This was to maintain 100% humidity. That was in February here in California. I then placed them on a table near a window and never had to water them again. I now have rooted camellia plants that I am transplanting into bigger pots in the middle of May.

The first sign of root growth was the new leaves that the cuttings were putting out.

I don't remember where online that I read about doing this sort of thing but I just adapted the instructions to what I had at the time and it worked wonderfully well. Hopes this helps.

Growing Camellias
Growing Camellias
Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsMay 9, 2011
Beautiful pink oleander flowers.
Starting Oleander from Cuttings
Christmas Cactus
Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings