Keeping Cut Fruit Fresh

How to keep cut up fruit fresh?

Traci from Lodi, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Fresh as in no brown fresh? A squirt of lemon juice or a soak in salt water (then rinsed, not the lemon juice) would do that. If you use a little more lemon juice on apples that are just blah, let them sit for a day or two, they get a really great flavor, kind of like a pinapple guava (yah, gotta have one, there is no way to describe the taste, but it's good).

As for any other fresh ideas, I am stumped.

I learned this as a supermarket demonstrator.

Soak the cut-up fruit in pineapple juice. It works

beautifully!

Lemon or pineapple juice work great. There is also a product called Fruit Fresh. It is powdered citric acid, which is what is in lemon and pineapple juice that keeps the fruit from turning. I use it when I am canning or freezing to keep my fruit looking fresh all the time. It is available in your grocery in the spice aisle or near canning supplies, not very expensive.

Cheryl

http://www.2ewenique.com

hi you just squeeze some lemon juice on it! this will stop it from turning brown and keep it fresh in the fridge for up to one week!

Lime juice also works. My kids like it because it gives a little different flavor. But anything acidic will discourage oxidization.

I have found that for sliced strawberries if I sprinkle a little Splenda on them, they do not get mushy as quickly as they do with regular sugar.

put fresh berries in canning jars, they stay fresh in the frig longer...

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJanuary 28, 2007
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
strawberries and blueberries
Tips for Buying Fresh Fruit
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Shipping Fruit
Shipping Fruit
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 4:45:32 PM on 10.0.0.83 in 722 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.