How Do I Thin Nail Polish?

contest winner icon

I had some nail polish that was getting too thick to use, so instead of throwing it away, I poured nail polish remover in it. I just poured a little at a time. Shake it good and if it's still too thick, add a little more. Do this until you can put on your nails smoothly. Nail polish is getting expensive now, so I have to be thrifty. Some bottles are $5.00 or $6.00. Can't throw them away, just fix them - thin them down!

Also, if you have a color that you think is too light, just mix in a darker color. Too dark, pour in a lighter color. I have made some pretty colors doing this and saved money. Give it a try, it really works!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

I used to thin nail polish like this too til a friend did it and while she was shaking it to mix it, it blew up in her hand! I think she put too much or was shaking too hard or something. Be careful!

Actually a very cost effective and less dangerous way is to buy Nail polish thinner. A small bottle that will last forever is a few bucks at the most at Sally's or beauty supply stores. Remover weakens the polish, as it's supposed to remove the polish. Thinner will thin it down and not destroy it.

As for shaking, you can do if you've let it sit for a long while (add stainless steel BB's if the bottle doesn't have any), but the best way to mix is to roll, less air bubbles in the polish.

A serious nail polish addict!

Hi ladies, I have been doing this for many, many years (over 40). I have never had any problems with this. I probably should have said, shake gently, I thought most people knew to do this. Thanks for the input.

April 26, 2011 Flag

I had bought some nail polish and I was wondering what I could use to thin it out for me to use? It is like very thick and not good to use right now. There are not even any beads, that I can tell, in the bottom of the nail polish.

By Kathleen from Tyler, TX

How Do I Thin Nail Polish?

Buy nail polish thinner from drugstores or Sally Beauty Supply. Add a few drops of the thinner in at a time. I use an old dropper that came with children's medicine. (08/23/2010)

By OliveOyl

How Do I Thin Nail Polish?

My grandma used to thin her old polish out with polish remover, just add a few drops and mix. (08/25/2010)

By yoder178

How Do I Thin Nail Polish?

Any brand of clear nail polish works. The cheaper the better. Just add some to your thick polish and it will thin it. (08/26/2010)

By julie_julie

How Do I Thin Nail Polish?

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will let you know if they will work. (09/04/2010)

By lqurgrl41

Woman Giving Herself a Manicure
Home Manicure Tips
Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 26, 2011
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish
Stretching Nail Polish
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet