Organizing a Crowded Apartment

Anyone have an idea how to keep a small apartment organized? I have crafts everywhere, in containers, on the floor in Walmart bags, and I can't seem to keep it clean and up off the floor. Any suggestions please? I need this done by November (Thanksgiving).

By Kelly from Medina, OH

Best Answer

I bought bed risers (those plastic things that make your bed stand taller) and I store boxes of craft stuff under my bed. I use copy paper boxes from work, they are the perfect size and they are the same size. You do need to have a master list of what is in which box (label boxes "1", "2" or "A" "B" = Box 1: jewelry crafts, Box 2: knitting stuff, or Box A: Scrapbooking, etc.). It's not the best solution, in that it's not at your fingertips, but it's otherwise wasted space and you can have upwards of a dozen boxes under a bed. I have a bed skirt also, which hides the boxes.

Best Answer

Shelving is a solution I have used many years, along with making furniture and other objects do "double-duty", since I also have a small living space. For example, use a decorative basket for storing craft supplies. There are ottomans that have a storage compartment, as well as furniture that has that same option, so blankets could be stored, perhaps leaving needed shelf space free for other things. Think "outside the box" for storage needs. In my kitchen, I have a large metal display rack for my pots and pans, since I have very little cupboard or counter space.

A spice rack can be mounted on the wall and used to store small craft supplies. A wire bicycle basket can be mounted on the wall to store larger items. A three tiered wire basket hanger can be used for things like yarn or fabrics, as well as other bulky items like pine cones, silk flowers, etc. I hope this helps a bit. I am re-configuring space in our home at the moment, and I have some space challenges too!

Best Answer

Art is a messy business if you don't actually have a space devoted just to it! I would suggest Rubbermaid tubs and shelving. If you can't afford a bunch of tubs, you could get boxes that paper comes in from an office. If you can't afford the shelving, just stack the tubs/boxes in an out of the way corner. Label the boxes so you know what you have stowed in each.

I have the same problem and when I have to put everything away for the holidays, whatever I am working on gets shoved in my bedroom and the door shut and locked. However, my bedroom is also the store room. I also have to move some stuff out of my kitchen at those times, too. Some of that stuff also gets put in my bedroom and some, depending on what it is, gets put in the shower with the curtain completely shut.

Oh yes! I start putting whatever project (a lot of the time it is genealogy, which involves a lot of papers) I am working on away about two weeks before Thanksgiving and it stays put away until after Easter. Then I heave a big sigh and start making my mess in the living room again.

Have the same problem; we totally re-organized this summer & I am putting things in baskets & tins, etc. & putting them on shelves. The containers are attractive & they can hold a lot of little craft stuff. (P.S. I am getting my baskets at thrift shops!)

I use those totes that are rectangle shaped, and about 6" tall under my bed. If I used those bed risers I wouldn't be able to get into my bed.

Beautifully Organized Apartment
Organizing an Apartment
Organizing AdviceOctober 4, 2010
Composting in an Apartment
Inexpensive Couch
Inexpensive Furnishings for a Temporary Apartment
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Photo of a lady yelling at a driver.
Avoiding Road Rage