Organizing a Small Apartment

I would like some tips for orgarizing for very small apartment.

By Joyce K. from Fall River, MA

Best Answer

I have lived in small units before and I found that hanging several wire shelving units really gave me places to store things in places where there was no room for regular shelving.
I bought coated wire units (like Closet Maid) at Walmart and Lowe's. These can be expensive but they can be moved and will last for many years.

There are units that hang over a door or units that that can be attached to walls and come in many sizes and shapes. I like the ones with 4 or 5 shelves that are about 26x20x5". These can hold anything from medicines, cosmetics, socks, underwear, gloves, etc. I also now use one in my kitchen for all sorts of things and you can hang hooks over the wire for holding another large assortment of items.

Take a look around your apartment and record measurements of any space (or door) that might accommodate a unit.

Check out the sizes available within your measurements and don't forget that if a door opens against a wall you will have to leave space for the door to open fully (that means you cannot put the shelf too close to the hinges of the door or the 5" shelf will keep the door from opening fully).

You may be able to hang shelves yourself or you may need a "helper". I am sure others will give you lots of useful suggestions.

Best Answer

Under-the-bed storage totes give a lot of storage space. They can also be used to store belongings out of the way under the couch

I would purchase small apt. size furniture such as a love seat versus sofa to prevent overcrowding of room/floor space. An end/side table with drawer and/or shelf cabinet provides more storage space; is concealed and also serves as a coffee table. A bookcase is also an option and a tv cabinet for storing DVDs and music CDs besides holding the tv.

A two drawer file cabinet can also hold valuables as it has a lock/key and the drawers are deep, so you can store larger items in and use the top of the filing cabinet to put your printer, a lamp or use as a phone stand or a side table next to a chair. It really is a multifunctional item besides using as its intended purpose. Utilize open wall space with a corner shelf or straight shelf.

my suggestion would be to watch some episodes of tiny living on HGTV and there is a couple more channels that have that kind of show.. they make grat use of space.. and multiple use items.... also to donate or sell any multiple items you have or items you no longer use.... pare down :) good luck

Double use is the answer - have everything perform two functions. Use hidden spaces: underneath a drop-leaf table, beneath the bed, even in the fridge or under your mattress.

Kitchen equipment and clothing minimal. I have very little summer/winter clothing, I just add or subtract a layer according to season. Keep some bare wall space to prevent claustrophobia!

Bed risers give extra storage under the bed. Use the backs of closet doors and cabinets to place organizers and hooks. You can hang things under cupboards too. It's kind of a blessing to live in a small place because you have to prioritize which items are worth keeping.

Organizing AdviceDecember 7, 2013
🎄
🍂