Saving Space in Living Room

It is really easy for your living room to become too crowded with excess furniture. Finding dual purpose pieces or simply eliminating the clutter may help create a lovely more spacious living room.

I wanted to create a dual purpose small space saver for many uses. I started with 1 item that could be used in many different ways, took up very little space, and was easy to put away when not in use. The result was using a folding TV table, as a study area, ironing board, reading nook, eating table, crafting table, and the list goes on! Here's how!

Total Time: 30 min.

Yield: 1

• wooden folding TV table
  • cotton batting
  • fabric
  • glue gun
  • scissors

1. Place your table top upside down on batting. Using your folding table as a template, cut batting and fabric, 2 inches from the edge.
  2. Use a glue gun and fold the batting under, gluing as you go. Cut off excess.
  3. Lay fabric face down, and repeat the process with your fabric. Trim excess.
  4. Ready to use.
  5. Stores neatly behind a door or other out of the way space.

In my front room I have a coffee table in front of my couch like a lot of people do, however, I want to get rid of it and make more space, but my husband says it looks empty. Do all of you have a coffee table? Does it usually look better with or without a coffee table?

Sunflower71 from Detroit, MI

Answers

I did have one in my living room, and didn't like it. I don't have one now. If you are unsure, maybe you can put it in another room for now, and give it a week or so to make up your mind.

I think mine looks fine without one in it...but it is really up to you. I know a lot of people who don't have one.

We don't have one because we have little kids and don''t want them bumping their heads or anything else on it. =) I think it looks just fine and there is a lot more room so us!

I have a coffee table, but I don't have it in front of my sofa. I put it against a wall so I csn show off some of my collectibles.

By jojo (Guest Post)

I, personally, don't have a coffee table and don't want one. I find that any available surface around our home is a dumping ground for clutter. So with that thought in mind, I'll never have a coffee table. As a kind of substitute though, I have a small nest of 3 tables which sit against a wall.

The largest table has a large plant on top and I simply pull out one of the smaller tables when I want somewhere to rest my cup when I'm watching t.v. or reading etc., then I simply tuck it away again when I'm finished! I'd rather have the free space, it looks much less cluttered.

By Connie A. (Guest Post)

I have had a coffee table in every house we have ever lived in because, like you I thought I was suppose to. However, the house that we live in now has a smaller livingroom and when I put the coffee table in there it was really crowded I removed it and WOW! I have space to walk around in, you can get to the couch easier and flop down. It's obviously a matter of opinion but my vote is get rid of it , you'll love the new look and the space is worth it!

By Barb T. (Guest Post)

No way!! Had one for years and like others have said, it was good for putting your feet on and a BIG collector of JUNK!!

Get rid of it and you'll never miss it!!""

By Michele (Guest Post)

I have a coffee table in front of my sofa. I have had one in every house I have lived in but I don't think you HAVE to have one. Most of the times when my niece is here we push the table aside so she can have the floor to play. I only use it mainly to put glasses on or the paper while I'm looking at it.

I think if you need more room then don't put one in there. Like one of the people said, put it in another room and see if you like it not in the living room.

By Betty (Guest Post)

I have not had a coffee table in front of my couch for some time now. It looks fine and after you get use to not having one, you will never want another-at least I don't. I do have end tables which are used for lamps, books, drinks,etc. I love having the extra space and not having to walk around a coffee table. Give it a try for a week or so.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceOctober 3, 2019
🍂
🎃