Advice For Pruning Trumpet Vines

I need advice on pruning Trumpet Vines (Humming Bird Vines). I have already cut the vine back to about an inch or two above ground, after it's first year of growth, last fall and mulched it. We had excessive snow this past winter. Will it come back, or have I killed it? I thought it was like my clematis, which I cut down each year.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

L Mac from Milwaukee, WI

You can't kill a trumpet vine even when you try to. I live farther south than you and mine hasn't starting budding yet. If just a piece of the root survives, the plant will flourish.

It's not necessary to prune them to the ground. New growth comes off old stalks.

If it gets too big trim what you don't want. Tough plant to kill if you want too!

You said, "I thought it was like my clematis, which I cut down each year." Some clematis you do, others you don't cut back.

When I was a child we had a trumpet vine growing up the corner of our house. We never pruned it or cut it down. They grow about roof high so dont plant one in too small a space and you'll be all right.

Trumpet vines take over everything, even come up in our lawn. We are digging it out root by root. It is impossible to get rid of with weed killer etc.

Home and Garden Gardening Pruning AdviceApril 21, 2008
supporting cucumbers
Supporting Cucumber Vines
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves