Browsing: Removing Musty Smell from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Musty Smell from Clothing

Allowing clothes to be damp for too long can result in a funky smell. This guide is about removing musty smell from clothing.

Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 21, 2011 Flag

All of our clothes have been stored for a year. Last night I washed them in All detergent and baking soda. The musty, oily odor is still there. What else can I use?

By Diane from Iowa Park, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try washing them again, but add 1-2 cups of white vinegar along with the detergent.

Best Answer

I find All detergent to have a musty smell of its own. Try a non-scented detergent.

Read More Answers...

September 6, 2011 Flag

I have some cotton shirts that were stored in the basement for 18 years. How do I get that smell out of them? I did soak them in borax and then in a lemon/water mix, but they still smell.

Lylias

Best Answer

Hanging them out on the line for a day or so might help. The sun will kill the mildew and the fresh air would do them good.

Do a wash load with a cup or even two of baking soda. If that doesn't work, try vinegar, a cup or two, in the rinse. If that isn't working, mix up a more concentrated solution of one or the other (don't mix them - if you do, you have salt water!) and try soaking them. Neither of these will affect the color.

If these items are white you can try bleach or ammonia. Again, not together. Both bleach and ammonia can fade out the color, so you want to use this as a last resort.

I also agree that hanging them out in the sun is a very good idea. Doesn't hurt them to get rained on either - sometimes freshens them up.

Read More Answers...

October 11, 2010 Flag

I've been hanging my clothes inside to dry. Lately they've been having a musky smell. How can I get rid of the odor?

By Kathy

Best Answer

I would stop hanging your clothes indoors. That is likely what is causing the musty smell. You are not getting enough air circulation to dry properly.

What I would do first, if possible, is rewash these clothes with vinegar in the wash, and then hang them out in the sun and wind. If that doesn't work, check out the archives here as there are tons of suggestions, and one in the tips section of today's newsletter.

I have tried everything with regards to washing musty smelling clothes and finally discovered what works every time. Put the article of clothing in the freezer! All gone. The freezing expands the water molecules within the mold cells and breaks the cell wall and they die.

Read More Answers...

February 5, 2014 Flag

There is a dusty smell in a recycled sweater-like robe I bought at the thrift store. I have washed it, but let it air dry. It is like a crocheted sweater type material that probably would not do well in the dryer.

It is white so it could be bleached. It just smells so dusty you cannot wear it. I do have allergies. Thank you so much.

By Dianne D.

Best Answer

Try soaking the robe in enough warm water to cover it with 2 cups of white vinegar mixed into it. Soak at least overnight, 2 days is even better. Then wash and air dry. I have had this work on smelly thrift store items. Hope it helps with yours.

October 12, 2010 Flag

Here's the "Solution"

I had a brand new bedspread, that picked up a musty smell from an RV we had used. I tried everything, to get the odor out. Of course I could not use bleach on this fabric. A musty odor is almost impossible to get rid of, once an item has been exposed, no matter how clean you get it! Ahhh, at last, I remembered that I still had some "Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover" on hand. You can buy it at most pet stores. It's the best thing I have ever found, for removing the smell left in the carpet from our aging, incontinent kitty. It has never damaged my carpets, so I thought, why not?! So I put two cups of "Simple Solution" into a washing machine full of water with the bedspread. I let it soak for four hours and then ran it through the normal cycle. The musty odor is now gone! And the bedspread has a very light pleasant scent. I am so happy that a brand new, very expensive item was saved! I would have no hesitation to use this product on any type of furniture that may have picked up a musty smell. Musty Odor? This nasty problem will not be a problem for me ever again!

By Diane =^..^= from New Braunfels, TX

September 30, 2013 Flag

I have an expensive leather motorcycle jacket that has been stored for years and it smells very musty. Is there something I can do to get the smell out?

By MaryJane

I have two methods

If the jacket is clean (except for the smell) put the jacket in a good box and unwrap a load if Irish Spring soap bars (dozen). Lay the soap around the jacket. Box size needs some air space. Use a box the size you would use to give the jacket away as a gift). Place unwrapped bars around jacket. Add some inside the lining. Replace lid.

Put the jacket away for a month and when you remove it from the box the smell will be gone. If not completely, replace lid and wait a little longer.

You can still use the Irish Spring in the shower.

I had a vintage car that had been leaking water into the trunk. Strong smell. My brother claimed (the sports car restorer) my method would never work in the trunk of this car.. Needless to say I had to get the car into a dry garage, out of the rain (Seattle). Boy was he surprised when the Irish Spring worked beautifully.

If your jacket is soiled as well as musty I'd suggest you might try washing a dirty leather jacket from the thrift store first, using this method.

Measure the length of sleeves and perhaps length of back.

Use cold water, soap and wash jacket in washing machine. If jacket is soiled on cuffs, neck, etc, I always use Zout(laundry spot remover on soiled areas first). (I have washed dirty leathers by the dozen). I have not had to deal with mildew but by adding vinear at the end of the wash, and letting it soak over night, it will be the secret to killing the musty smell. Add vinegar if you can still smell the jacket when jacket is washed and you are ready to add the softener to the rinse..

Hold off on the softener and add vinegar first.

Have water in washing machine (pour a couple of gallons into wash with 2 cups of vinegar) if water is gone.. Swish jacket around by hand if necessary and let the jacket soak all night.

Let the vinegar water drain for the rinse cycle.

Add one to two cups of softener to rinse cycle.

I always add a load of fabric softener to the rinse. At least 1 cup, maybe two. Once the spin cycle is over following the rinse, have a strong hanger waiting. You may need a place for the jacket to drip dry. (Tub or concrete floor) Put jacket on hanger and let drip (some garments will almost run water and others not so much).

Once the jacket is finished dripping I make sure it it hanging well on the hanger. Check out the length of arms and legs with tape measure.

Drying time will take about three days. If your jacket dries stiff, do not panic.

When is it completely dry, crumple it in your hands and roll it around in towel. Wear it around the house and you will be amazed how it will restore itself.

If you do the trial run thrift garment first, select a dirty item from the thrift store and pre spot it with Zout or other pre spot removers.

I also pour on the liquid detergent onto the worst areas of garment.. You do risk a chance the item will shrink a bit. That is why you want to stretch it slightly before it dries.

Try taking measurements of the thrift store item before you place in wash. Measure length of sleeves or the leg of pants. That will giive you an ideas of how long the sleeves or legs should be before you leave it alone on the hanger to dry. Stretch it a little everywhere like you were shaping a sweater before letting it dry.

I decided to give this method a try when they came out with washable leathers. I thought, did they reinvent the cow? Not likely.

April 21, 2011 Flag

I am looking for way to remove the musty smell from clothing that has been in storage.

Michael from Oakland, CA

Answers:

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

If they are washable I would wash them with Oxiclean. The stuff is wonderful. Also, you could lay each item out in the full sunlight for a good while. The sun kills mold and that is what you are smelling. Good luck. (08/09/2006)

By caraing

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Fresh air and sunlight can help a lot, free too. (08/09/2006)

By aardvark

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Toss in the dryer on air only and then hang outside in the fresh air. You might also use Febreze on a towel in the dryer with the clothes. Good luck. (08/09/2006)

By 2oma

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Wash the clothes again with detergent and a cup of baking soda. Baking soda will remove most odors the first time around. (08/09/2006)

By linex_4

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

I would wash with a cup of baking soda and a cup of white vinegar. It does work.
(08/09/2006)

By meoowmom

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Wash them with your normal detergent, then hang them outside on the line for a couple of hours on a sunny, breezy day before drying them with a dryer sheet. That should work.

PS--Make sure to put used dryer sheets in between the layers of clothing in the bin the next time you store your summer or winter clothing. It helps keep them fresh-smelling, especially if they are sweaters. (08/09/2006)

By PMZ

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

I wash musty clothing in woolwash using fabric softener and air dry on the clothes line. My daughter has a musty smell in her cupboard and I have just filled a clean, small children's sized empty yoghurt container 1/2 full with bi-carbonate of soda or baking soda. Seal the top of container with aluminum foil, poking foil gently with a fork or skewer to let musty smell to be absorbed by soda. I put it in a couple of hours ago and cannot smell the musty odour! (08/10/2006)

By debt free

October 13, 2010 Flag

I have gym clothes that I am ready to replace due to a musty smell. They are not too old and they appear to be in good condition otherwise. I only notice the smell once I am at the gym sweating and no it's not my sweat or b.o.! It really is the clothes.

I have a Whirlpool HE machine. Should I soak in borax? Or should I add vinegar to the fabric softener compartment and wash without soap on hot? Where do you put the borax in an HE machine as a laundry booster? Thanks!

By Gina from Philadelphia

Answers:

Removing Musty Odor From Clothes

You should be able to buy Borax in the larger chain grocery stores. You'll find it in the detergent section. Add 1 cup of white vinegar along with your detergent in every wash load. Vinegar is excellent for getting rid of odors and musty smells. (09/10/2010)

By MCW

Removing Musty Odor From Clothes

One cup of white vinegar added to washer filled with water and let it soak for at least an hour before running the load. Works great on towels, too. (09/13/2010)

By dlginlove

Removing Musty Odor From Clothes

One big problem is that too much detergent is used. One full tablespoon of HE detergent is more than enough. For towels, I add some vinegar also. Now for the machine: Leave the door open, wipe down the rubber gasket, and leave an old sock or whatever in gasket to allow it to totally dry out. We have the same appliances at our stores and never have an odor on the clothes we clean. (09/15/2010)

By Barbara Lev

October 11, 2010 Flag

I have had a problem with my water heater leaking in my basement and leaving a ton of water on the floor. I didn't notice until it was too late, that some dark clothing got wet and sat in the water for some time.

August 8, 2010 Flag

How do you get the smell out of clothes and towels that have a moldy, unfresh odor?

March 2, 2010 Flag

Last spring I put my winter clothing in my garage. Now that I am getting them out, they smell very musty. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 29, 2012
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Stinky Laundry In Washing Machine with Man Holding Nose
Removing Odors from Clothing
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
An old wooden wardrobe.
Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 5:04:12 AM on 10.0.0.77 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.