Window Coverings for French Doors

Category Curtains
Finding just the right window coverings for you french doors will help to create the look you are trying to achieve on these rather formal doors. This is a guide about window coverings for french doors.

I am looking for a window treatment for French Doors. Currently, I am using sheers and I am tired of them, in addition, they look bulky. Can anyone help?

Kelly from Toledo OH

Best Answer

At Home Depot, they have static-cling plastic stained glass that you cut to size for your windows (or french door panels) They have a few different patterns- from flowers to geometric to frosted. I use a flower pattern for complete privacy in our bathroom. The nice thing is that they're removable whenever you get tired of them. If you go to www.homedepot.com and enter "artscape" or "light effects" as your keyword, you'll get several examples.

Best Answer

Your choices depend upon whether you need privacy, sun protection, or merely want to "dress up" the French doors.

If you don't have privacy needs and just want something to finish them off, you could try a swag draped over a decorative rod that is hung above the doors. (The image I've attached is from my own house). It's hard to tell from the photo, but the swags are asymmetrical with the outer swag on each window extending much lower than the inside swag.

Of course, this treatment doesn't help if you need privacy or sun protection. If this is the case, you might try a blind like the Hunter Douglas "Trio" (which closes to look like a honeycomb blind but opens to look like a mini blind) or a designer screen shade. (In this case it would be mounted directly on the door, rather than above, of course.)

I was fascinated to see something called Wallpaper For Windows at my local paint store. It seems to be like the static cling plastic mentioned by Beth MA. It is frosted in area and has white lines to make a pattern while some is clear depending on the design. I loved the one that was like a conservatory with wicker chairs and palm trees!

I've seen rolls of darkened plastic that you can see through only one way, at Menard's, if you have one in your area. You cut it to your window size and I believe it's removable too.

I need help in figuring out window treatments for my formal living area windows. I need privacy and want to dress it up at the same time. There are two French doors and two windows.

Laks

Best Answer

I suggest using plain waxed paper in a 50ft roll that you find with the tin foil, plastic wrap etc. in the grocery store . It can not be seen through but the light still comes in through it.

I have used/done that very thing on our front door and kitchen windows. Waxed paper is very easy to cut to size and then tape in place PLUS a person can not see through it from either direction (the inside or the outside).

Very cheap and cost effective - keeps the direct sun light out so the room stays cooler saving on the electric bill and stops the fading of carpets or furniture from the sun shining in on it every day.

I would probably make either Roman shades or a not too fussy balloon shade. They are pretty easy to make and are great for privacy and they can be pulled up to allow light in. You can go on the internet for instructions or have them made. I have them in almost every room.

Go to HGTV.com and look up window treatments. They should have a lot of ideas for you. Good luck.

http://www.atti  curtains.html-or search for "Heritage lace curtains", lot of pretty curtains there, good luck.

How can I make my French doors more private?

By Jandi from Nashville, TN

Best Answer

You could use tension rods and bed sheets to make something quick-measure the windows in the doors top to bottom.

Add eight inches to that number then cut that amount from the bed sheet.

Run a 1/2" seam line 1/2" at top and bottom of the cut panel, then use an iron to press a fold using that 1/2" as a guideline, then fold over again and press. Take the panel back to the sewing machine, and run another guideline seam this time three inches at top and bottom, fold and press on this line.

Take the panel back to the sewing machine and carefully (slowly:) run two seams on the folded down parts. The first line of stitching should be along the fold, using the edge of the foot as your guide, then run the second line of stitching at the bottom of the folded down bit to finish creating your casing for the tension rods to fit through.

The line of stitching closest to the actual fold will give some stiffness to the casing, it looks very nice and causes the casing to look professional, giving a sort of header look to the end result.

Have a look at this site for more ideas:

http://sewing.a  basiccurtain.htm

I made Roman Shades for our daughter's french doors. They were very easy, very inexpensive and looked great. I got step-by-step instructions off. DYI. I used a heavy material that would keep out the sun and, of course, made them a couple inches wider on each side of the glass. Hope this helps.