Window Treatment Ideas For French Doors?

I am looking for a window treatment for French Doors. Currently, I am using sheers and I am tired of them, in addition, they look bulky. Can anyone help?


Kelly from Toledo OH

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 27, 20070 found this helpful
Best Answer

At Home Depot, they have static-cling plastic stained glass that you cut to size for your windows (or french door panels) They have a few different patterns- from flowers to geometric to frosted. I use a flower pattern for complete privacy in our bathroom. The nice thing is that they're removable whenever you get tired of them. If you go to and enter "artscape" or "light effects" as your keyword, you'll get several examples.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 14, 20190 found this helpful

I have French doors on the side entry to my rural home. No nearby neighbors but wanted some privacy. I first applied contact paper to the glass, and then made curtains from an old shower curtain I had. I cut it in half and then sewed the raw edges. I folded down the top where the rings would go, and sewed that to hide it.


Then I hand sewed peel and stick Velcro across the back, and stuck the other part on the door. To wash I just hold the corner of Velcro on door (the hook side of Velcro), and pull on the curtain, which has the loop side of the Velcro. It cost me about $6-$8 to buy the Velcro, I had everything else on hand.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 15, 20190 found this helpful

Thanks for sharing, that sounds great. If you want to show us a picture, you can upload one in the feedback. The button is right below the text box in blue.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 27, 20070 found this helpful
Best Answer

Your choices depend upon whether you need privacy, sun protection, or merely want to "dress up" the French doors.


If you don't have privacy needs and just want something to finish them off, you could try a swag draped over a decorative rod that is hung above the doors. (The image I've attached is from my own house). It's hard to tell from the photo, but the swags are asymmetrical with the outer swag on each window extending much lower than the inside swag.

Of course, this treatment doesn't help if you need privacy or sun protection. If this is the case, you might try a blind like the Hunter Douglas "Trio" (which closes to look like a honeycomb blind but opens to look like a mini blind) or a designer screen shade. (In this case it would be mounted directly on the door, rather than above, of course.)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 30, 20070 found this helpful

I was fascinated to see something called Wallpaper For Windows at my local paint store. It seems to be like the static cling plastic mentioned by Beth MA.


It is frosted in area and has white lines to make a pattern while some is clear depending on the design. I loved the one that was like a conservatory with wicker chairs and palm trees!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 31, 20070 found this helpful

I've seen rolls of darkened plastic that you can see through only one way, at Menard's, if you have one in your area. You cut it to your window size and I believe it's removable too.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
< Previous
Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsJuly 26, 2007
Father's Day Ideas!
Mother's Day Ideas!
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-05-01 08:11:55 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.