Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather

Cigarette smoke permeates everything in a smokers household. Removing the odor of cigarettes can be difficult, especially from anything leather. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odor from leather.

June 24, 2015 Flag

Here is what I did: I heated up the leather article in the oven! My idea is that the tobacco smell arrived by heat and through the air, so maybe it can depart again the same way.

To do this, I put the leather item into the oven at the lowest setting (150 degrees F) for about an hour and a half. I opened the oven (and the outside door of the kitchen) several times along the way to let the newly-evaporated tobacco tars and oils escape.

And it worked. It worked really well. About 95% of the tobacco smell was gone. There was no detectable "drying out" effect on the natural oils in the leather at all. If there had been, I would have applied replacement oils from a bottle of leather conditioner that I already owned.

Hurrah!

I'm posting in the hope that this will help someone else with the same problem.

Belinda Raycraft!

I found this artical! Might be worth a try, but could smell up your house!

You are an angel, haven't tried it yet but will today. I have tried sprays, essential oil tee tree, curry sage, nada. I make bags from leather and fabric I find at thrift stores. Hope this works.

November 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing cigarette smell from leather jacket. You will want to use the appropriate cleaning methods for leather when trying to remove cigarette odor from a jacket.

A man smoking a cigarette and wearing a black leather jacket.

December 24, 2014 Flag

I just purchased a Michael Kors handbag from another individual. As soon as the woman handed it to me, I could smell the reek of the cigarettes. They seemed like a heavy smoker from the way the bag smells. I don't really want to be rude and not get it, because I had been looking for a handbag like this for awhile. It's a leather handbag. I have tried fabric sheets, fabric softener and water mixture, coffee grounds (read that online), and vinegar and water mixture. Any other ideas?

By L K W

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a tough one but an online search offers many suggestions. I chose this answer as it suggests several possibilities:

THE DAMP CLOTH

Try wiping down both the inside and outside of your bag with a very rung out damp cloth, then give it a dry wipe straight after to remove any moisture. Never soak yourleather bag unless you're hell bent on ruining it.

WHITE VINEGAR

Wipe it down with diluted white vinegar. Use your judgement on the strength of the dilution given the nature of your bag, but 50/50 should work in most cases. White vinegar will help kill any mold, bacteria and odours without staining.

BICARBONATE OF SODA

While there's a million ways in which you can do this, we suggest pouring the bicarb into a small pot or even a baby sock, then leaving it inside the bag for a day or two to neutralise bad smells.

DRY GROUND COFFEE

Just like the baking soda tip, try pouring dry ground coffeeinto an open pot, small bag or sock, and leaving in your bag for a day or two. Once the coffee smell fades it should take any cigarette smoke with it.

ACTIVATED CHARCOAL/CARBON

Yep, it sounds a bit scifi, but this is actually used in water filters as a neutraliser and some medicines to fight flatulence. Hmm. Wrap up the ground version in a handkerchief, cloth or leave in an open pot to diffuse.

LAVENDER BAGS

Get 'em out of your knicker drawer and into that smelly vintage bag if the odour you're fighting is fairly light. Citrus fruit peels could work in the same way too if you're not a fan of florals.

SOLID AIR FRESHENER

Place it on a cloth or piece of paper to prevent it rubbing onto the lining of your bag, then leave for a few days to kill any odours.

FREEZE IT

Yep, we mean put it in a sealed plastic bag to stop it getting wet, and pop it in the freeze for a few hours. The temperature should kill any mold, mildew or bacteria.

TUMBLE IT WITH SCENTED SHEETS

If you have a shoe rack for your dryer, pop your bag into a pillow case, place it on the rack and throw in a few scented sheets. Set it for a gentle cycle and repeat a few times for very stubborn smells.

STUFF IT AND SCENT IT

Spritz some perfume or Febreze onto tissue paper and stuff your handbag until it's bulging. Leave for a day or two, then give it a good airing outside, preferably in the sun. Avoid using newspaper for this as the ink could rub off onto your bag leaving stains.

With all these tips make sure to use a little common sense and consider the material of your bag - if in doubt, head to a professional cleaner for some indepth and more specific advice.

For leather clean the outside with saddle soap, condition with mink oil (cow and pig leather; a leather conditioner if lambskin or calfskin). That usually works on The outside. Then fill with cedar sachets inside and place in a plastic bag, letting it sit for a day or two. For suede, put the item in a container full of cedar chips, planks or satchets and let sit for a couple days. You can find cedar sachets at Home Depot or Lowes. I have hundreds of purses, coats, gloves and leather items....and I smoke. (Outdoors, but still...) My bags always smell fresh.

June 21, 2012 Flag

I just bought a 210 dollar handbag off of eBay. It is new with tags, but it sure doesn't smell new. It smells of cigarette smoke doused with perfumes. The seller won't respond on giving it back. I don't know what to do. Any ideas how to make this thing smell new again. It is a Michael Kors leather handbag and smells overwhelmingly bad. It gives me a headache to be in same room with it. Sheesh!

By Cathie

File a resolution with eBay unless it has gone over its length of time - I "won" smokey purse on 6/19/12 and must file with Resolution Center by 8/2/12.

Best of Luck

If you paid through PayPal they'll also help you get your money back if it isn't to late

May 13, 2012 Flag

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of a leather purse? I have tried Febreze and saddle soap, but neither made much difference.

By SLM

Vacuum the inside out really well. Wadded up newspaper in and around it, all in a sealed plastic garbage bag can help. Change out the newspaper every day or two, it will take a while.

If you decide to wash the leather make sure it is safe, saddle soap or a gentle leather specific cleaner and water then let it completely air dry, then treat with a good leather treatment (check with a reputable shoe repair place).

Coffee grounds in an open container inside the purse. Close purse or leave open and put it in a bucket with lid on. Check on it every day. Should take just a few days.

March 24, 2011 Flag

I just purchased a $188 leather Fossil purse on eBay and it reeks of cigarette smoke. It is horrible! Any ideas how to get rid of the smell?

By Deb from SC

Get some odor eaters shoe inserts and stuff pieces in every section and pocket. Hang outside in the sun. Sunshine is a powerful deodorizer. This may take several months but it will work. I used it with a leather wallet I bought on ebay.

You can take it to your local dry cleaners and they should be able to get the smell out. Good luck.

October 23, 2013 Flag

I just purchased a second hand leather suite. It smells of smoke. Any tips to remove the odor?

By Tracy from Gloucestershire

1.spray Lysol- the "crisp linen" onto your the leather and let it soak.

June 6, 2012 Flag

We received three pairs of leather shoes from a friend. They have never been worn, but she is a heavy smoker and we cannot get the smell out of the shoes. Does anyone have a cure? There are two pairs are heels and the other is patent leather.
They smell inside and out.

By L Peters

Sprinkle fine salt or bi carbonate of soda and leave them in the sun.

August 16, 2011 Flag

My daughter purchased a small leather satchel at a flea market. Unfortunately the prior user must have smoked as it reeks. Any suggestions for removing the smell? A shoe repair person suggested diluting Lestoil with water and rubbing. Will this work? Damage the leather?

By Cynthia

The best odor remover of all is sunlight. I once bought a great tote bag that was perfect except that it smelled strongly of smoke. I put in on my lawn in the sun, turned it occasionally, then turned it inside out and flipped it. Within two days, the smoke odor was completely gone never to return.

March 24, 2011 Flag

I just bought a purse from eBay and it smells of cigarette smoke. How do I get that horrible smell out of this nice leather purse? It is a good brand.

By Shirley from Shepherdsville, KY

Answers:

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I always clean my leather with Murphy's Oil Soap. Take a container of water and a sponge, get sponge good and wet pour some oil soap on sponge work it into a lather. Work lather into leather and let dry. Using a clean sponge rinse all lather off leather. Let dry, you can then condition with Neat's Foot oil or another leather conditioner. All this can be found at a tack shop, saddlery. (12/31/2010)

By looneylulu

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

A good way to get rid of odor's is to put the item in a container with a couple sections of hay. Never used it for a smoke smell, but works good with a mildewy smell. (12/31/2010)

By looneylulu

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I have used coffee or baking soda to remove all most all odors. I would suggest putting in a plastic baggie, but don't seal it. Let it sit for a couple days. Good luck. (12/31/2010)

By gogalyboo

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I second the motion about using coffee. I would put the purse in a plastic bin with a lid; and in the purse I would put some dry coffee grounds in a sock, or tied in a cloth, and put some outside as well. You could use (non-match lighting) a couple of charcoal briquets as well, again, wrapped in cloth to prevent getting the purse dirty. Leave it closed in the bin for a couple of days.

I would also re-check the eBay listing. If the seller said "non-smoking", I would be sure to let them know that the item reeks of smoke and would also check with eBay regarding the rules about misleading listings. (12/31/2010)

By Jilson

Thanks for the Murphys Oil Soap and vinegar ideas - I mixed these together and rubbed rub down a pair of leather sandals bought on EBay that stunk of cigarette smoke, then put them outside in the sun to get thoroughly dry. This diminished the odor to tolerable. Repeated, and it's hardly noticeable at all. Thanks again!

Will this work on my UGG boots I just purchased them from someone and that person smoked and they smell awful but I got them for 90, and they are in pretty decent shape!! Any help on cleaning and deodorizing UGG boots is greatly appreciated!!!

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 15, 2011
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From a Painting
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
cigarette smoke odors
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors
🎉
🎄