Browsing: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather

Cigarette smoke permeates everything in a smokers household. Removing the odor of cigarettes can be difficult, especially from anything leather. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odor from leather.

Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 24, 2015 Flag

Here is what I did: I heated up the leather article in the oven! My idea is that the tobacco smell arrived by heat and through the air, so maybe it can depart again the same way.

To do this, I put the leather item into the oven at the lowest setting (150 degrees F) for about an hour and a half. I opened the oven (and the outside door of the kitchen) several times along the way to let the newly-evaporated tobacco tars and oils escape.

And it worked. It worked really well. About 95% of the tobacco smell was gone. There was no detectable "drying out" effect on the natural oils in the leather at all. If there had been, I would have applied replacement oils from a bottle of leather conditioner that I already owned.

Hurrah!

I'm posting in the hope that this will help someone else with the same problem.

December 24, 2014 Flag

I just purchased a Michael Kors handbag from another individual. As soon as the woman handed it to me, I could smell the reek of the cigarettes. They seemed like a heavy smoker from the way the bag smells. I don't really want to be rude and not get it, because I had been looking for a handbag like this for awhile. It's a leather handbag. I have tried fabric sheets, fabric softener and water mixture, coffee grounds (read that online), and vinegar and water mixture. Any other ideas?

By L K W

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For leather clean the outside with saddle soap, condition with mink oil (cow and pig leather; a leather conditioner if lambskin or calfskin). That usually works on The outside. Then fill with cedar sachets inside and place in a plastic bag, letting it sit for a day or two. For suede, put the item in a container full of cedar chips, planks or satchets and let sit for a couple days. You can find cedar sachets at Home Depot or Lowes. I have hundreds of purses, coats, gloves and leather items....and I smoke. (Outdoors, but still...) My bags always smell fresh.

I purchased a $150 Wilson Leather computer case at a local thrift store for $3.50! Same nasty smell .... I gave it a lite Lysol spray and hung it in the New Mexico sun all day long ..... the smell was 99% gone. You have to put your nose against the leather and only get a faint smell..... Hope it works for you.

Read More Answers...

June 21, 2012 Flag

I just bought a 210 dollar handbag off of eBay. It is new with tags, but it sure doesn't smell new. It smells of cigarette smoke doused with perfumes. The seller won't respond on giving it back. I don't know what to do. Any ideas how to make this thing smell new again. It is a Michael Kors leather handbag and smells overwhelmingly bad. It gives me a headache to be in same room with it. Sheesh!

By Cathie

If you paid through PayPal they'll also help you get your money back if it isn't to late

If the seller did not say it was from a smoke free home and it smells of smoke. you can open a case with EBay and get your money back.

Read More Answers...

May 13, 2012 Flag

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of a leather purse? I have tried Febreze and saddle soap, but neither made much difference.

By SLM

Coffee grounds in an open container inside the purse. Close purse or leave open and put it in a bucket with lid on. Check on it every day. Should take just a few days.

Sprinkle baking soda or kitty liter in purse. Shake and let sit for an hour. After shaking out to remove, brush well with a soft brush. Hanging out in sunshine or fresh air may also help.

Read More Answers...

March 24, 2011 Flag

I just purchased a $188 leather Fossil purse on eBay and it reeks of cigarette smoke. It is horrible! Any ideas how to get rid of the smell?

By Deb from SC

You can take it to your local dry cleaners and they should be able to get the smell out. Good luck.

I sympathize. I have had a similar problem. If the seller did not advertise the fact that it came from a smokers house, you can get a case opened on E'Bay. I did. It's a vile smell. I think the hanging outside and a soft cloth slightly dampened with water and baking soda solution. Try an inconspicuous area first! Other ideas are-lavender essential oil diluted in warm water-shake mixture well (oil sits on top of water) and (again on an inconspicuous area), clean leather-don't saturate it! Helped me!

Read More Answers...

May 3, 2013 Flag

How do I get cigarette smell out of a leather jacket?

By Wendy from Dallas

Any good leather cleaner should remove both the nicotine and the odor from the leather. The lining, however, is more than likely what is holding the odor-a good dry cleaner certified to clean leather will be able to clean and deodorise the lining as well as the leather.

You can try damp sponging the lining at home if you prefer to avoid dry cleaning chemicals.

Turn the jacket inside out and either hang on a good quality wooden hanger with those supportive wide, thick shoulder areas, or lay it out on a kitchen worktop.

Mix a half-water, half vinegar solution and dip a sponge into the solution.

Wring the sponge as hard as you possibly can and wipe the lining down. Be careful to avoid getting the lining actually wet or touching the leather with the solution.

You may want to test this method in a small and inconspicuous spot on the lining to be sure the solution won't damage the lining, and I can't stress enough that you do not want to get the lining soaking wet with the solution. Very-very-very-very slightly damp is what you are going for here.

Pay special attention to the sleeves and underarm areas, also the shoulders and back top of the lining as this is usually where the odors are trapped and held by the lining fabric. If the first go-round doesn't completely remove the odor you may want to repeat the operation especially in those areas.

When you've damp-cleaned the entire lining hang the jacket (still inside out) in a well ventilated area out of the sunlight-the vinegar smell will dissipate (within 24 hours) and take the cigarette stench with it.

I have leather riding gear, vest, gloves, chaps and very expensive custom leather jacket. They all stink of cigarette smoke.

I don't smoke but other family members do.

My jacket and vest have liners but the not gloves or chaps.

They ALL stink terribly.

I don't believe its the liners that absorb the smell. Its the entire garment.

I am trying to find a way now to clean them since they smell so bad it makes me gag. You can bet that smoking is not an option in the house anymore. It is not negotiable, even if I am the minority!

October 23, 2013 Flag

I just purchased a second hand leather suite. It smells of smoke. Any tips to remove the odor?

By Tracy from Gloucestershire

1.spray Lysol- the "crisp linen" onto your the leather and let it soak.

June 6, 2012 Flag

We received three pairs of leather shoes from a friend. They have never been worn, but she is a heavy smoker and we cannot get the smell out of the shoes. Does anyone have a cure? There are two pairs are heels and the other is patent leather.
They smell inside and out.

By L Peters

Sprinkle fine salt or bi carbonate of soda and leave them in the sun.

August 16, 2011 Flag

My daughter purchased a small leather satchel at a flea market. Unfortunately the prior user must have smoked as it reeks. Any suggestions for removing the smell? A shoe repair person suggested diluting Lestoil with water and rubbing. Will this work? Damage the leather?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 15, 2011
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From a Painting
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
Mattress
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from a Mattress
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 10:35:13 PM on 10.0.1.26 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.