Urine on a Suede Couch

My husband and I just got a brand new suede couch. Well last night my three year old fell asleep and peed all over it. It soaked through the cushions and the worst part is the cushions are attached, so I can't take them off to clean them really well. How do I get this awful smell off the couch? I only have a few hours till my husband gets home from work. I would love to have it all cleaned before he gets home cause he wouldn't be a happy camper.

By Courtney from Carlisle, PA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I would be careful about cleaning real leather suede, many products might damage the finish. If you just bought it, I might contact the company or see what cleaning instructions they might have provided.

If it is microfiber fabric that emulates suede, I would try a product called Kidz and Petz. It is an enzyme cleaner similar to Nature's Miracle, but I think it does a better job. It can get into the cushion and treat the odors that went in deep.

Of course, whatever you do, test a small inconspicuous area first.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

I do not know how to get urine out, although many people have suggested at other times, to use products from pet supply stores for animal urine. They say these enzyme based products are very good.

However, the reason I posted was to assure you that neither your little boy nor you is at fault for this accident. Your husband is not likely going to be the one cleaning up the couch, and so he should just suck up anything he has to say about the matter and be a good father. Your little boy's feelings and yours are way more important than any suede couch. If a person is going to have kids, they should expect things like this to happen. Your husband can make the trip the store to get the cleaner.

I second Louel53's comments! By now your hubby has already discovered the problem and I pray he acted like a decent human being over an accident of a young child!

As an extra note, (and I am swallowing much dignity in sharing this) I have Emphysema and often fall asleep on my microfiber sofa. One night I was so sound asleep that I couldn't get up fast enough when I started coughing and ended up very heavily wetting on it. The next day I generously sprayed some distilled vinegar on it, rubbed it in well, allowed it to do it's work for a little while, then used a damp soap and water rag and then fluffed the fabric with a dry rag and allowed to dry. It worked like a charm and no odor or stain remained. :-)

Thanks for your ideas. One thing though I didn't really mean my husband was going to come home and start going off...He understands that she is only 3 and that stuff happens...I guess u could have taken it the wrong way, but i just want to make it clear my husband isn't an evil man like u all may think he is...I think I was more mad about then he was cause im the one that had to scrub the couch!!

Okay, glad to hear that.

Answer

Womans hands holding stray bottle and sponge hovering over brown background with a urine spot on it.
Cleaning Urine on a Suede Couch
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 20, 2010
Suede Couch
Cleaning Cat Urine From Suede
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
black cat on microsuede chair
Removing Stains on Micro Suede Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 6:15:37 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 705 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.