Brown Sugar Tips and Tricks

Once opened keeping your brown sugar from getting packed and hard can be a challenge. This page contains brown sugar tips and tricks.

July 13, 2011 Flag

Here is my tip for keeping brown sugar moist. Use marshmallows! You can use bread, but bread gets moldy and then you have to replace it. Not so with marshmallows!

By Elaine S. from near Cedar Rapids, IA

Good tip!

LisaE2, do you have any recipes using brown sugar that you'd like to share? :-)

This is definitely the best method to soften rock-hard brown sugar. I just put a couple of jumbo marshmallows in the sugar bag and in a day or so, it was soft - like it had never hardened. I've tried the clay bear and bread, but this works best - no mold and it keeps the sugar soft for months.

October 5, 2012 Flag

Brown sugar will get hard in a heart beat if you don't do something to keep the moisture in the container or bag. Here is a tip I use that really works and is pretty much free.

Take an old broken clay pot that you don't need anymore and break off a piece suitable for the size container that you keep your brown sugar. Make sure it is very clean and then soak it in water for about a half hour. Dry off with a towel and place in the container. This will keep your brown sugar nice and moist. Just repeat the soaking when it dries out, which should not be very often.

By littlegamma from southern, AL

I keep ours in the freezer.

The piece of clay pot is exactly what they make the cute little disc out off that you buy at any kitchen store for brown sugar softening. I actually got one at a yard sale, still in package. The instructions say "soak the disc in warm water for 15 minutes, insert into middle of brown sugar, it will keep moist for 3 months, then repeat the soaking." It does stay great for 3 months. To remember when to repeat I have placed a piece of masking tape on my sugar jar lid writing "re-soak disc in 3 months" then write the date the disc has been soaked. No need to wait until sugar gets hard when you have the info right there.

November 30, 2014 Flag

Can you use brown sugar instead of white?

By PW

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use brown sugar in place of white. Just be aware that it may change the color and taste of the dish slightly. For example, cookies will be a darker color when baked. It will taste sweeter because of the molasses in brown sugar. Be sure to stir the brown sugar into your wet ingredients as brown sugar does not dissolve as well as white.

Brown sugar is moister, too, so you might want just a little less water or milk.

September 22, 2005 Flag

Soften a rock-hard box of brown sugar quickly by just putting it in the microwave for 15 second or so, then check it. If it isn't soft enough, increase by 10 second intervals. Don't overdo it or you will have syrup!

January 5, 2007 Flag

Soften Hard Brown Sugar. For hard brown sugar, wet a paper towel, wrap it around the sugar and in a few hours or less, it will be soft.

February 16, 2011 Flag

How do you keep brown sugar soft and fresh, not hard?

By Van from Pemberton, NJ

I just keep the brown sugar in the bag it came in. When i finish with it i seal the air out, then put an elastic band around it and place it in a zip lock. I also squeeze the air out of it. Rarely does it dry out. If it does an apple slice, or bread will soften it. I throw the dry bread and apple out to the birds when done with it.

I keep my Brown Sugar soft with a small ceramic bear figure that you can get at almost any dollar store or at Meijers or Kroger's in the baking aisle. I also keep it fresh in a small plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid. Works for me!

January 22, 2013 Flag

Add an apple to your brown sugar in a glass jar. Works every time.

March 1, 2012 Flag

I use a small glass to press down brown sugar in my measuring cup. You could use a jelly glass also. I got these 5 oz measuring glasses at Walmart for about $1 each (made in the U.S.A. too) and they are just the right size for my hands.

Brown Sugar

November 13, 2007 Flag

How many cups are in a 1lb bag of brown sugar?

Abear from LA

2 1/2 Cups of brown sugar packed = 1 pound

2.3 cups of sugar per pound

January 22, 2015 Flag

What do I use to spread brown sugar evenly?

By Bud from Quincy, IL

Difficult to answer your question as we are not sure exactly why you are spreading brown sugar, on what surface (cake, cookies, candy etc.), using the brown sugar dry or wet, what tool you have tried so far, etc.

April 14, 2008 Flag

Keep brown sugar fresh. After closing wax paper packaging on inside of box, place a wadded up plastic grocery bag on top and close top of box. This will keep your brown sugar moist, and clump free for many months.

February 29, 2008 Flag

When a recipe calls for 'packed brown sugar' what is this? We have ordinary brown sugar and treacle sugar here in South Africa. I'm not sure what the 'packed' is.

Carolyn from South Africa

Packed brown sugar is regular brown sugar that you must push all the way down and keep adding and pushing till you get the measurement needed. HTH

It just means you need to measure accurately without gaps and air pockets.

June 28, 2010 Flag

What do I do with brown sugar when I make it?

Load More
Food and Recipes StorageJune 6, 2012
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄