Browsing: Brown Sugar Tips and Tricks

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Brown Sugar Tips and Tricks

Once opened keeping your brown sugar from getting packed and hard can be a challenge. This page contains brown sugar tips and tricks.

Wooden Scoop of Brown Sugar
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 13, 2011 Flag

Here is my tip for keeping brown sugar moist. Use marshmallows! You can use bread, but bread gets moldy and then you have to replace it. Not so with marshmallows!

By Elaine S. from near Cedar Rapids, IA

November 30, 2014 Flag

Can you use brown sugar instead of white?

By PW

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Brown sugar is moister, too, so you might want just a little less water or milk.

I sub brown sugar for white sugar as much as possible! It makes your baked goods have such a deeper, richer taste due to the molasses but it will make the color darker. So if the color matters I would not substitute it, or only substitute 1/2 the amount of the white sugar.

Read More Answers...

October 5, 2012 Flag

Brown sugar will get hard in a heart beat if you don't do something to keep the moisture in the container or bag. Here is a tip I use that really works and is pretty much free.

Take an old broken clay pot that you don't need anymore and break off a piece suitable for the size container that you keep your brown sugar. Make sure it is very clean and then soak it in water for about a half hour. Dry off with a towel and place in the container. This will keep your brown sugar nice and moist. Just repeat the soaking when it dries out, which should not be very often.

By littlegamma from southern, AL

February 16, 2011 Flag

How do you keep brown sugar soft and fresh, not hard?

By Van from Pemberton, NJ

I keep my Brown Sugar soft with a small ceramic bear figure that you can get at almost any dollar store or at Meijers or Kroger's in the baking aisle. I also keep it fresh in a small plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid. Works for me!

I keep mine in the original bag in a tupperware bowl sealed tightly. It will last forever. I have done this for years. No messing with MW or bread. Let me know if this works for you.

Read More Answers...

January 22, 2015 Flag

What do I use to spread brown sugar evenly?

By Bud from Quincy, IL

Difficult to answer your question as we are not sure exactly why you are spreading brown sugar, on what surface (cake, cookies, candy etc.), using the brown sugar dry or wet, what tool you have tried so far, etc.

November 13, 2007 Flag

How many cups are in a 1lb bag of brown sugar?

Abear from LA

2.3 cups of sugar per pound

A 2lb bag lists 226 teaspoon servings per bag. Just convert that into cups and you find that 1 lb of brown sugar is 2.3541667 cups. Just round that to 2 and 1/3 cups and you got it!

Read More Answers...

February 29, 2008 Flag

When a recipe calls for 'packed brown sugar' what is this? We have ordinary brown sugar and treacle sugar here in South Africa. I'm not sure what the 'packed' is.

Carolyn from South Africa

It just means you need to measure accurately without gaps and air pockets.

What ever unit of measure you are using,(cup, spoon, etc.) it should be "packed" in firmly. It should keep the shape of the utensil when you tap it out to use.

Read More Answers...

September 22, 2005 Flag

Soften a rock-hard box of brown sugar quickly by just putting it in the microwave for 15 second or so, then check it. If it isn't soft enough, increase by 10 second intervals. Don't overdo it or you will have syrup!

By Linda

June 28, 2010 Flag

What do I do with brown sugar when I make it?

By Gregory from Park Place

I also make my own brown sugar, and then store it in a plastic bag, and use a twist tie to keep the air out. Then I keep it in one of my Tupperware canisters.

Anything to keep the air out of it and dry, yet moist.

January 5, 2007 Flag

Soften Hard Brown Sugar. For hard brown sugar, wet a paper towel, wrap it around the sugar and in a few hours or less, it will be soft.

January 22, 2013 Flag

Add an apple to your brown sugar in a glass jar. Works every time.

Load More
Food and Recipes StorageJune 6, 2012
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 1:09:52 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.