Cleaning Baking Soda Residue from Mattress

My cat peed on my mattress so I went to a website and looked up a step-by-step method for removing the odor and stain. It involved vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, dishwasher detergent, and baking soda (not all at once).

Good news: the odor and stain disappeared; bad news: the baking soda did not. According to the website I'm supposed to vacuum up the baking soda, but I can't because it's now stuck on the cloth mattress (which happens to be brand new.)

Help!

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

You should be able to brush the baking soda loose and then vacuum it up.

Could you soften the baking soda by laying a wet cloth on it?

If the baking soda is stuck that hard, and won't brush off, you may have some dishwasher detergent mixed with it. That stuff can cake up hard as cement. If brushing and vacuuming don't work, try the wet cloth technique suggested by Lilac. Baking soda and detergent are both water soluble, so plain water will take this off if nothing else will.

Brush it with an old hair brush, vegetable brush, etc. Not just with your hand. A pet brush works well too.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceNovember 19, 2010
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
🎄