Removing Pollen Stains From Carpet

Some stains on carpets can be especially hard to remove. This guide is about removing pollen stains from carpet.

April 8, 2013 Flag

Thanks for the tip about isopropyl alcohol for stains. After a vase of lilies fell over onto our cream carpet (I know, we were asking for trouble), there was a stubborn yellow stain which was resistant to all cleaning solutions known to mankind. I'd tried everything: Vanish, stain remover, carpet cleaner - but a trip to Maplins for a £9.99 can of the stuff meant that I was spared the hassle of an insurance claim. I just sprayed it on and mopped it up with kitchen roll. Job done!

Thanks for the tips to remove the pollen before cleaning, however Isopropyl is hard to get now and I made the mistake of using Vanish to remove it and rubbed the pollen into the carpet. Bought some sterilising fluid, diluted and then dabbed with a cotton bud. By the time I went to get the water to wash off the stain had disappeared.

December 3, 2012 Flag

How do you clean a beige carpet that has a yellow stain because the pollen has fallen from a bunch of lilies?

By Bernie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I just used Milton on a beige carpet with pollen staines that I had made bigger by using other products! It worked perfectly!

January 27, 2011 Flag

I have pollen stains on my wool/synthetic carpet where a visiting child knocked over a vase of liliums. So far I have tried Amway carpet cleaner unsuccessfully. Please help.

By Patricia from Adelaide, SA

Best Answer

I came home to lily pollen on my light beige 100% wool carpet and used my Folex carpet cleaner that works like a charm on most stains. I made it worse and had bright orange stains much bigger than at first, as I read later the water and rubbing just spreads it around. I Googled pollen stain on carpet and found this website. What a lifesaver! I used 91%isopropyl alcohol from my pharmacy (they didn't have 99%)and voila! it worked liked a charm. I poured it over the stains and blotted it up with paper towels. Another treatment after that dried and my carpet is stain free! What a brilliant tip, I never would have thought of it. And it has no odor like mineral spirits.. Another suggestion I was going to use if this didn't work.

Thanks so much! Pamela

June 30, 2005 Flag

I had orange pollen rubbed into my rug by my 2 year old son. I don't know how to remove it. I have used some carpet spray cleaners but it has not come out. Can anyone help me?

Sameya

Best Answer

Pollen is very hard to remove. When I was a florist we always pinched the anther (where the pollen is) out of the lilies before they left the shop.

January 27, 2011 Flag

I have got two bright yellow lily pollen stains on my beige carpet, which despite washing with water and treating with several doses of Vanish refuse to disappear. I know washing them was a mistake, but I must get them removed as I am moving out in less than a month. Please help, as there seems to be no solution other than ripping up the carpet!

Emma

Answers:

Pollen Stains on Carpet

Washing with white vinegar and/or hydrogen peroxide may help. Brush the stain and blot with a towel. Good luck. (08/02/2005)

By Seagrape

Pollen Stains on Carpet

I have had great luck with Blue Magic.
Get it at an auto parts store. It's an upholstery cleaner.
I had a grease stain on my car carpet and sprayed it on.
I walked inside to get a cloth to rub with and when I got back I couldn't find the stain.
Now I'm never without it at home.
It works great on my house carpet too.
Good luck.

Debbie (08/11/2005)

By reddlb

Pollen Stains on Carpet

I was told by a person who grows and sells lilies that all you need to do to remove lily pollen is put the item in direct sunlight and the stains disappear. I understand this gets a little problematic with a stationary object like carpet. (08/14/2005)

By Guest

Pollen Stains on Carpet

I too had a pollen stain on my beige carpet and tried without success numerous methods. But I went to my local hardware shop and found an item called 'De-solv-it' stain remover and pre-wash in a handy small aerosol can. Absolutely brilliant stuff, it removed the stain without trace. Bearing in mind it was a fresh stain I couldn't promise that it could work on a old one! (08/09/2006)

By Tina from Somerset

Pollen Stains on Carpet

Lily Pollen stains.
Gently dab a strip of cello tape onto the stain.
The pollen will stick to the tape.
Do not rub.

Or

Pollen Stains. If lily pollen (the golden or reddish "dust" on the anthers of each bloom) gets on your clothing, let it "dry", then carefully brush it away with a dry, soft brush or facial tissue. Or gently dab pieces of adhesive tape on the fabric until the pollen is gone. Do not brush the pollen away with your hands (oils from your skin will set the stain), and do not use water or a wet cloth (this will spread and set the stain). If some pollen still remains, place the item in direct sunlight for a couple of hours; the stain should disappear. Pollen stains can often be removed from washable fabrics with an enzymatic detergent such as Era.

[Ed: Carefully remove the anthers from the flowers as they open. Pollen can be "stuck" to flowers (such as lilies, arum, calla, etc.) by giving the flowers a quick spray with hair spray if the flower is to used for a short use, such as a wedding bouquet.]
(08/19/2006)

By Michael M

Pollen Stains on Carpet

I got a great tip to use Sainsbury's sterilising fluid. I spilt lilies and water onto a cream carpet and thought it was completely ruined. I dabbed the area with the sterilising fluid and in seconds it disappeared!! Trust me this really works. (06/25/2007)

By Gill

Pollen Stains on Clothing

Rusty red pollen stains on clothing can be readily removed by pouring 99% isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) over the areas and soaking up the now yellow coloured solution with paper tissue. This solvent, obtainable in the pharmacy section of Zellers, etc. will not harm fabrics and would probably be equally effective on carpets. Methanol (wood alcohol) will not dissolve such pollen stains; thus the more lipophilic isopropyl alcohol (or toluene or xylene) is need. The regular 70% isopropanol rubbing alcohol (like the ethanol variety) will not work effectively because of the higher water content. If some light hue remains, one can apply the pharmacy variety of 2% hydrogen peroxide or simply expose the garmet or carpet to sunlight for an hour or so. (08/27/2007)

By George

Pollen Stains on Carpet

It really works! Had a shirt that I'd tried to get the pollen out with water (and made it worse). Tried 'Vanish' which didn't help. And then I left it out in the sunlight for about half and hour and the pollen stain has completely disappeared. Amazing!
Thank you for the tip! (09/10/2007)

Pollen Stains on Carpet

I had spots from lilies. Carpet cleaners I had in the house spread the stain. I tried vinegar, hydrogen peroxide which also did not work. Nearby, I had a bottle of mineral spirits. Poured that on a paper towel. Blotted at the spots and they came right out. (05/31/2008)

By LB7

Pollen Stains on Carpet

Thank you to George Neville for his suggestion of isopropyl alcohol. I happened to have some in the house and set to work where the cat had knocked a vase of lilies over our beige carpet and the stains were enormous. What a life saver! The pollen simply blotted out of the carpet on kitchen paper towels. I really thought this was going to be an insurance job. Thank you! (06/01/2008)

By Hanna

Pollen Stains on Carpet

I had a large pollen stain on my carpet from some lilies. I tried alcohol and carpet cleaner. This only spread the mark. I bought Stain Slayer from Asda (it is in a spray can about the size of an impulse can) and it worked like magic and one spray later the marks had gone. 22/06/08 (06/22/2008)

By Lilly

Pollen Stains on Carpet

De Solve It has just worked a treat on pollen stains on my boyfriend's cream carpet much to my immense relief! £1.94 from Wilkinson's, small aerosol can in the stain remover section. Thanks so much for the tip! (07/19/2008)

By Archcatt

Pollen Stains on Carpet

Goo Gone works like a champ. (11/10/2008)

Top Comment

OMG ! after many attempts at removing lily pollen stains from my carpet I read this article about Goo Gone, I had some so spayed the stain with it

...total gone. thanks for the tip. 04/06/9016

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetDecember 11, 2012
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎉
🎄