Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Mold from Painted Walls

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Mold on Walls

Bathrooms and other humid areas can begin to grow mold on the walls and ceilings. This is a guide about removing mold from painted walls.

Video: Quick and Easy Mold Removal from Walls

This is a video about removing mold from painted walls. According to the CDC mold spores can come into your house from the outside through open doorways, open windows or heating and cooling systems with outdoor intakes. Spores can also attach themselves to your clothing or your pets and be brought inside your house. Once inside, mold thrives and grows in moisture rich places, making the bathroom a common place to find mold.

Why is it important to remove mold? Not only does It look gross but inhaling mold spores can cause respiratory problems, especially for people with asthma.

Prevention Tips:

Properly ventilating your bathroom when you are taking a bath or shower can help prevent mold.

Keep humidity levels your house to between 40% and 60% by using an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months.

Removing Mold

For the removal of the mold we have chosen to use two products that you can buy at your local home improvement store. Mold Armor Mold Blocker and Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover.

You need to be careful with these products. A mask, eye protection, rubber gloves and a ladder are recommended. Avoid leaving Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover on vinyl windows or plastic shower enclosures for more than 15 minutes.

1. Open your windows and turn on your bathroom fan so that you have good ventilation. Spray the Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover directly on the mold and let it sit for 30 minutes.

2. After 30 minutes, using a wet sponge, wipe off the area. Most of the mold should be gone. If any remains, reapply the spray again and wipe it off with a sponge after 30 minutes.

3. The last step was spraying the mold effected areas with Mold Armor Mold Blocker.

The video shows the mold on the ceiling portions has completely disappeared. On the top of the window, where the mold was the thickest, a second application was needed. After that, all the mold has disappeared.

While these products were successful, the drawback is the expense, these two bottles cost about $15.00 combined and we only need amall mount of each to remove the mold.

Homemade Mold Remover:

1. You can also make your own mold remover using bleach and water.

2. Mix 1 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water.

3. Wearing rubber gloves, use a sponge or rag to use the bleach mixture to remove the mold from the wall.

It will require a little more elbow grease than using the store bought removers, but it will work.

By Lewis from Port Orchard, WA

Here are questions related to Removing Mold from Painted Walls.

Question: Find Source and Solution for Black Mold

Black mold is growing on the painted walls of the hallway near ceiling. This hall has a furnace and is near a bathroom. It's been about 2 years since the house has been lived in. I noticed a very musty smell when we bought the house to resell. I assumed it was from being closed up and vacant. We have tried cleaning it with bleach with little results of removing it and now the walls are discolored. What will take mold off? Will paint cover and stick? Could the furnace be the source?

By DeAnna from Corsicana, TX

Question: Paint Won't Stick to Walls Treated for Mold

I had my bedroom wall treated for damp and mould a few months back and it seemed to cure the problem. However I've recently decorated with emultion paint, but noticed the paint won't stay on in the areas that were treated. I'm not sure what was used to treat the mould/damp, but wondered what I can do to cover the walls now?

By Sarah

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.01/08/2014

I think you should contact the company that did the treatment and find out what they used, and if they know how to deal with the problem. If they are not helpful, contact a paint company, armed with the info you have gotten from the mold treatment people, and find out what product they might have or what you might have to do to prep the walls for paint. It may be as simple as using a good primer. Here in North America, we have a paint called Kiltz (I think that is how it is spelled) that is useful for these sorts of things. I think you are somewhere else, however, as we do not talk of emulsion paint.

Question: Getting Rid of Mold on Plaster Walls

Our home was built back in the mid 50s and we seem to get mold only on the exterior corners at the ceiling and top of the walls as well as in the corners if furniture is up against it. We use Concrobium mold control to clean the surfaces as well as to treat it. This issue has also caused the paint to come off of the walls. We are not sure if an oil-based paint was ever used, and we did paint them with a latex paint. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the issues?

By Al

Question: Removing Mold from Textured Walls

Our basement got flooded a few weeks ago. Now we have mold and mildew on our walls. The walls are textured so they're rough. How can we clean them?

By Ray

Question: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

How do you get mold off painted walls?

By Suki

Most Recent Answer

By Charlie Smith01/19/2011

I've used a mixture of one part laundry chlorine bleach to four parts water. I dab it on with a sponge, leave it for a few minutes, then rinse it off with a rag and let it dry thoroughly. If necessary I use a hair drier. Obviously I put newspapers on the floor in case the bleach drips.

Question: Mold on the Bathroom Ceiling

I am looking for appropriate information on removing mold above my shower on the painted ceiling. The wrong paint was used at the time.

By JohnW from Scotland

Most Recent Answer

By Joyce02/11/2010

Fill your bathtub with steaming hot water and add to the hot water a handful or two of loose olives leaves. Buy loose olive leaves by the pound. (herbalcom.com is one source and very reasonably price.) Keep the bathroom door shut for about an hour to keep steam inside. Wait and watch the mold breakdown. Then wipe down with a saturated sponge of the olive leaf water solution, and your problem will disappear! Repeat if the problem recurs, which won't happen often, if at all.

Joyce in CT

Question: Mold on Bathroom Walls

I need to clean mold of my bathroom walls. I need to know the parts of bleach and water to mix so I can spray it on the walls. I need to clean off the mold before I paint.

Rankinfarm from Yuma, AZ

Most Recent Answer

By Ben Staerck04/05/2006

You can use this product to reomve mould and any odour associated with it. http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Mould_Neutraliser.htm

More importantly though, it kills all bacteria and so prevents the mould re occuring

Solutions: Removing Mold from Painted Walls

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

How do you get rid of mold on painted walls? I scrub it off but a black stain is left. How can you get rid of this? Also, the mold is back within the week any ideas on how to stop it?

Elaine from England

RE: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Painting over the mold or cleaning it will do absolutely no good if the mold started underneath the wall. You might have mold growing underneath in the insulation. If this is the case, you need to get the damage fixed fast before it spreads further. If it happens to be that toxic black mold, your health is at stake too. (01/24/2005)

By Shari

RE: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Try using Tilex. It works wonders on mold and mildew. I wouldn't be without it. (01/24/2005)

By Mitzi

RE: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

The product that we use is called Kilz. It works wonders. You can but it at paint stores. (01/24/2005)

By tuey

RE: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Mould grows where there is moisture so the "cure" is to prevent the moisture collecting and condensing on walls and creating the environment where mould spores can settle and breed. If its at the bottom of a wall it may be rising damp, because of an ineffective or breached damp proof course, (often flower beds built up outside the wall allow damp to seep in above the damp proof course). In this case, to prevent the mould you need to repair the damp proof course, (expensive), or remove the structure that is allowing the moisture to bypass it.

In cooler damp climates like Britain the atmosphere is often laden with moisture and this can be compounded by the moisture produced within the house from the kitchen, bathroom and given off from the breath and skin of human bodies. The answer here is to increase ventilation, whether through opening windows and doors, especially after bathing or showering, or have an extractor fan installed. Raising the internal temperature of bathrooms while showering to heat the walls slightly will also prevent the moisture suspended in the air from condensing out when it hits the cooler surface of the wall. But you must then ventilate to remove it from the house.

A bleach solution, (as directed on the bottle), should remove the mould, kill the spores and whiten/lighten the stain. It will recur unless you sort out the ventilation problem, even if you paint over the stain, although some paints have a built in fungicide to discourage mould growth. Regards. Jo (01/24/2005)

By Jo B.

RE: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Sorry, folks but that's some serious misinformation. Killz does not kill mold. Even bleach only has a temporary effect if you don't fix the mold-growing conditions. You need to kill the mold with an EPA registered fungicide/mildicide (mold killer), remove any porous materials that have mold deep within them (carpet, sheetrock, insulation), and maybe most importantly you need to fix the source of water or humidity that contributed to the mold forming. Fungicide or lack of moisture can kill the mold, but even dead mold spores left in the area can trigger allergies. Again, if the wall is wet from within, just killing, wiping, or painting over it will not fix the problem. It will grow back, and could spread. (05/11/2007)

By Dimitri

RE: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

A great product that I've found is MoldZyme. It's EPA approved and removes the mold. It's non toxic. Check it out.

www.moldzyme.com (06/15/2007)

By bthorn

RE: Removing Mold From Painted Walls

The mold is behind your walls or wallboard. I had a whole room that was totally infested with mold. This was because when I bought this place, the previous owners had built a "sun porch" onto my mobile home with "no" window sills and because the windows were huge "single" paned, the windows constantly sweated (over a quart a day). Thus, all of that water was dripping behind the walls, all day, every day, over the course of many years. I thought I would have to tear the small addition down because the mold was everywhere along the bottom 2 feet and all around 3/4 of the room, until I did the following. Here's what worked for me: (and yes, I know bleach is toxic, but this needed to be done with something that was strong.)
  1. After talking to an expert on mold. He recommend I put 3 or 4 parts of water with one part of bleach and put this into a spray bottle (open the windows for ventilation) and spray the bleach water mixture onto the walls. Do this for 2 days in a row (this is to open the "pores" of the wood or sheet rock). Then, on the 3rd day: Take the same bleach-water solution, but this time (use gloves) apply it with a sponge straight to the wall. Now here is the important part.
  2. Wait 2 weeks and "do it all over again" (the spraying and sponging of bleach/water). This is because there most likely are brand-new mold spores that have formed in the past 2 weeks that you can't see that have sprung up since you last bleached. Then, after a few days of the walls drying the second time, apply a good mold inhibit primer like ZINSSER 123. Apply at least 2 coats or more.
  3. Then put on at least 2 or more coats of paint with a high quality paint. (I used semi-gloss)
  4. I then covered the painted area with stick-on vinyl (wood-looking) floor tiles from the dollar store ( Dollar Tree, 3 tiles for $1). This "really" sealed in the walls.
  5. I then caulked between the vinyl tiles with a matching tan colored caulk.
  6. Fix the problem. What is causing your mold problem? Fix this. Moisture is getting in there form somewhere. You can also install a dehumidifier. I build no drip window sills out of hard plastic. (The kind you use to line your flower beds) Then caulked them.

This may sound like quite a hassle and to tell the truth it was, but, believe me, I couldn't even use that room except in the summer due to the heavy amount of mold and it's nasty smell. Now, that I've sealed the walls I can use that room and I just love it.

Important: My mold wasn't the toxic mold you hear about on TV. Yours may be. Use care around any household mold and keep your kids away from it too. If you have any questions, call your local Health Department.

My "sun-porch" turned "craft room" is totally made of plywood, the wood held up to all the bleaching. Wallboard may act differently. (06/15/2007)

By Cyinda

Archive: Mold On The Bathroom Ceiling

I need some tips on cleaning mold off the ceiling of my daughter's bathroom.

How can I remove what looks like mold in the paint above a shower? The ceiling is white, but looks be-speckled with black.

How can mold be cleaned off a textured ceiling?

Archive: Mold on the Bathroom Ceiling

How do I remove mold from the bathroom ceiling?