Removing Mold from Painted Walls and Ceiling

Bathrooms and other humid areas can begin to grow mold on the walls and ceilings. This is a guide about removing mold from painted walls and ceiling .

Mold on Walls
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I had a leak in my bathroom and it caused mold to grow on the wall and go through it all the way to my couch or the other side.

I tried various ways for removing it and failed (it keeps coming back) so I intend to buy a new couch and keep it away from the wall.

My question is, what would be a safe distance? Would 5 inches away from the wall ensure that the mold won't travel and hit my new couch as well?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the previous poster. You need to deal with the mold in the wall before you worry about the new couch. It could be very expensive, so take the money you budgeted for the couch, and get that leak repaired and the mold eradicated.

Read More Answers...

This is a video about removing mold from painted walls. According to the CDC mold spores can come into your house from the outside through open doorways, open windows or heating and cooling systems with outdoor intakes. Spores can also attach themselves to your clothing or your pets and be brought inside your house. Once inside, mold thrives and grows in moisture rich places, making the bathroom a common place to find mold.

Why is it important to remove mold? Not only does It look gross but inhaling mold spores can cause respiratory problems, especially for people with asthma.

Prevention Tips:

Properly ventilating your bathroom when you are taking a bath or shower can help prevent mold.

Keep humidity levels your house to between 40% and 60% by using an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months.

Removing Mold

For the removal of the mold we have chosen to use two products that you can buy at your local home improvement store. Mold Armor Mold Blocker and Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover.

You need to be careful with these products. A mask, eye protection, rubber gloves and a ladder are recommended. Avoid leaving Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover on vinyl windows or plastic shower enclosures for more than 15 minutes.

1. Open your windows and turn on your bathroom fan so that you have good ventilation. Spray the Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover directly on the mold and let it sit for 30 minutes.

2. After 30 minutes, using a wet sponge, wipe off the area. Most of the mold should be gone. If any remains, reapply the spray again and wipe it off with a sponge after 30 minutes.

3. The last step was spraying the mold effected areas with Mold Armor Mold Blocker.

The video shows the mold on the ceiling portions has completely disappeared. On the top of the window, where the mold was the thickest, a second application was needed. After that, all the mold has disappeared.

While these products were successful, the drawback is the expense, these two bottles cost about $15.00 combined and we only need amall mount of each to remove the mold.

Homemade Mold Remover:

1. You can also make your own mold remover using bleach and water.

2. Mix 1 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water.

3. Wearing rubber gloves, use a sponge or rag to use the bleach mixture to remove the mold from the wall.

It will require a little more elbow grease than using the store bought removers, but it will work.

By Lewis from Port Orchard, WA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to get rid of mold on your ceiling? In my case, it came with heavy rains, which a lot of people are experiencing. I'm going to use a round hole saw and make an opening where I will mount what is called a muffin fan.

They look like the fans in desktop computers, only larger (almost 5 inches across) and higher speed. I found some on evilbay for about $14. The listing will say something like: 120mm X 38mm Cooling Muffin Fan 115 V AC 110 CFM (cubic feet per minute). That's a lot of air.

Mounting a big propeller-like ceiling fan will do nothing if you have something serious going on above the ceiling. It needs lots of ventilation which will dry out the mold. You can even spray Lysol into the fan once a day, but take it easy. There's a little more to the story, but there are the basics. It might help some desperate soul.

How do I remove black mold off of a ceiling? What else do I need to do other than just wipe it?

By Keshauna from Jersey City, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

DO NOT ever use bleach! I just had the mold remediator here today and he said the spores sense the bleach and migrate. It a sure fire way to spread mold. You should use a mixture of borax, tea tree oil, and vinegar. Add peroxide to bump up its efficientcy in dealing with numerous species. Also, you can use Lysol. Never bleach. Never.

Read More Answers...

Does mould sink into painted ceilings so that it does not come off?

By June

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, and you have to remove it and kill anything left over. It will continue to grow if you do not. J

I had my bedroom wall treated for damp and mould a few months back and it seemed to cure the problem. However I've recently decorated with emultion paint, but noticed the paint won't stay on in the areas that were treated. I'm not sure what was used to treat the mould/damp, but wondered what I can do to cover the walls now?

By Sarah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Sarah - The simple solution would be to use an oil based primer and paint over.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for appropriate information on removing mold above my shower on the painted ceiling. The wrong paint was used at the time.

By JohnW from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fill your bathtub with steaming hot water and add to the hot water a handful or two of loose olives leaves. Buy loose olive leaves by the pound. (herbalcom.com is one source and very reasonably price.) Keep the bathroom door shut for about an hour to keep steam inside. Wait and watch the mold breakdown. Then wipe down with a saturated sponge of the olive leaf water solution, and your problem will disappear! Repeat if the problem recurs, which won't happen often, if at all.

Joyce in CT

Read More Answers...

I need to clean mold of my bathroom walls. I need to know the parts of bleach and water to mix so I can spray it on the walls. I need to clean off the mold before I paint.

Rankinfarm from Yuma, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use this product to reomve mould and any odour associated with it. http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Mould_Neutraliser.htm

More importantly though, it kills all bacteria and so prevents the mould re occuring

Read More Answers...

How do you get mold off painted walls?

By Suki

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've used a mixture of one part laundry chlorine bleach to four parts water. I dab it on with a sponge, leave it for a few minutes, then rinse it off with a rag and let it dry thoroughly. If necessary I use a hair drier. Obviously I put newspapers on the floor in case the bleach drips.

How do I get mold off painted walls?

By Nicole from Portland, OR

Answers:

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

I little Dawn, water, and a rag will do the trick. Don't use bleach water in a bottle if you have carpeting or nice flooring underneath, ad you will damage the floor surface with the bleach.

If the mold is behind a piece of furniture that is in front of an exterior wall, pull it out from the wall about 4 inches. This gives air enough room to circulate and prevent the mold from growing. (01/27/2010)

By Poor But Proud

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove mold from the bathroom ceiling?

By CHELLE60FOUR from Detroit, MI

Answers:

Mold On The Bathroom Ceiling

There's more than likely been a roof leaking and water/moisture penetrated to cause a breeding ground for mold to set in. Chlorine bleach and water usually removes light mold, but if it returns in a matter of days the mold problem is serious. (09/14/2009)

By Lorelei

Mold On The Bathroom Ceiling

I think I saw an article the other day on peroxide removing mold. Google peroxide and mold removal to make sure. Good luck! (09/14/2009)

By Robyn Fed

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can mold be cleaned off a textured ceiling?

By Nina

Answers:

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

In the past, I've dealt with this same thing. I took one part bleach mixed with 3 parts water and put cheap plastic painters-plastic over my carpeting and furniture. I then put on old clothes then put on goggles and dipped a sponge into the bleach-water then wring it out about half way leaving sponge fairly wet bit not sopping.

Press wet sponge to ceiling and leave for 10 seconds then repeat everywhere the mold is. Do this again in 2 weeks to get any mold spores that you didn't get the first time. Lastly, seal with a quality stain-killing tinted primer. If you tint the primer you might not have to also paint. If it were a wall you could use a sprayer, but not on the ceiling. A fairly large sponge works best. (10/12/2009)

By Cyinda

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

I use a spray of straight bleach. And it needs to be on the ceiling for a few minutes. I have mildew, which is a nuisance, but not harmful. For heavier infestations, I use a kitchen scrubbing brush or a large nail brush. It does take off some of the texture, but that can't be helped. (10/15/2009)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove what looks like mold in the paint above a shower? The ceiling is white, but looks be-speckled with black.

By grannysjb from Fremont, CA

Answers:

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Bleach in a spray bottle. It might take several applications to get it all. The mold/mildew cleaners work too, but lots more expensive. (08/26/2009)

By twilightgift

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Twilightgift is right, but speaking from personal experience, if you use the bleach, also make sure you have plenty of ventilation, eye protection, and a baseball cap. (08/26/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

RED ALERT! No bleach! I used the bleach trick for removing mold in my sun room several years ago and ended up getting extremely ill afterward. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me but after a year I was ready to just lay down and die, it was that bad.

I found the Red Cross site online while searching for "headaches" and they had a box that asked if you wanted a nurse to contact you and I checked it. When the nurse called me she asked me to describe the symptoms and I didn't get far when she told me to stop, she knew the cause of the illness.

There is a certain type of mold that reacts with the chlorine in the bleach and creates an invisible gas that scars your lungs the first time it is created and you don't feel a thing. She advised me to use white vinegar and water in a 50/50 mix and do not rinse off. It will leave an acid base behind that helps stop the mold from regrowing for a long time.

My body is completely infiltrated with this mold now and I had to leave my house and continue to have some side effects from being so sick. It causes headaches along the trigeminal nerve pathway, I would actually have spasms in my eye balls that others could see, could not walk or stand up once the headache started, had about 6 headaches like this a day, lost almost 40 pounds in 2 months because I couldn't keep anything down.

The only thing that helped was IV's at the ER and serious pain meds and ice cold showers, wet towels frozen in the freezer and draped on me in front of fans and all the windows open, even during the coldest winter with snow on the ground.

This is a very serious problem and worth using the vinegar no matter what anyone else suggests. I live in Oregon and we lose babies every year to black mold because it infiltrates their lungs.
      Please pass this info to your friends, it might make the difference between life and death. (08/26/2009)

By wolfbytez

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Thank you for the heads up on bleach/mold problem.

Two children in my family got pneumonia from mold, as well as their mother. That was when my sister in law packed them out of their apartment and moved them to her house. She heard they were sick, went to the house, which was on a damp hillside, took one look and packed them. The house was infested with mold. The apartments needed to be demolished. (08/27/2009)

By PIKKA

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

Thanks to all who posted, very good information. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between mold and mildew? Is there a visual difference? Just wondered because someone who seems to know the difference just took a look at my ceiling and told me she is sure it is mildew from poor ventilation. I'm thinking that would be easier to remove. (08/27/2009)

By Grannysjb

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

You asked about telling the difference, I don't know but I have seen free mold kits on TV, maybe you could get one of those and see which one it is. Good luck. (08/28/2009)

By micksgirl

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

I have had a lot of success mixing lemon juice, peroxide, and water in a spray bottle. The citrus and peroxide kill the mold. Just spray and let it sit for a while then wipe off. If you don't address your moisture problem it will return. After the mold is gone you can use a mild chlorine bleach and water solution mixed with a few drops of dish liquid to clean the wall really well. Good Luck. (08/28/2009)

By grannygirl

Removing Mold From Painted Walls

I have mildew. It starts off looking just like the ceiling is a bit dirty. It is sort of grayish, but gets darker and darker. It grows above the shower, and was in the house when I moved in. I need to clean it off yearly. I dress in white, put on goggles, and think I will use a mask this time. Put bleach in a spray bottle, and spray that on the mildew. Give it some time to work - 10-15 minutes per patch. My ceiling is textured, so if I try to scrub, I get paint splotches dropping down. I do use a scrubber sometimes, but the bleach is what does the work.

I might add that I have an exhaust fan in the bathroom that we use all the time, as well as a window which we open when showering or bathing, when it is warm. And here in Saskatchewan, it is a pretty dry climate. When you get something like this, it is difficult to eradicate it entirely; the mildew spores hide in the grooves in the textured ceiling. If anyone knows of a paint especially made to cover this up after it has been cleaned, let me know, please. I haven't tried painting over it. (09/02/2009)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need some tips on cleaning mold off the ceiling of my daughter's bathroom.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get rid of mold on painted walls? I scrub it off but a black stain is left. Elaine from England

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Home and Garden Cleaning WallsFebruary 12, 2013
      Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
      Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
      Removing Mold from Boat Seats
      Removing Mold from Boat Seats
      White painted kitchen cabinets.
      Cleaning Painted Cabinets
      Painted Chinese furniture.
      Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 31, 2016 at 6:04:49 PM on 10.0.2.205 in 954 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.