Why is it important to remove mold? Not only does It look gross but inhaling mold spores can cause respiratory problems, especially for people with asthma.
Properly ventilating your bathroom when you are taking a bath or shower can help prevent mold.
Keep humidity levels your house to between 40% and 60% by using an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months.
For the removal of the mold we have chosen to use two products that you can buy at your local home improvement store. Mold Armor Mold Blocker and Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover.
You need to be careful with these products. A mask, eye protection, rubber gloves and a ladder are recommended. Avoid leaving Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover on vinyl windows or plastic shower enclosures for more than 15 minutes.
The video shows the mold on the ceiling portions has completely disappeared. On the top of the window, where the mold was the thickest, a second application was needed. After that, all the mold has disappeared.
While these products were successful, the drawback is the expense, these two bottles cost about $15.00 combined and we only need amall mount of each to remove the mold.
It will require a little more elbow grease than using the store bought removers, but it will work.
By Lewis from Port Orchard, WA
I am looking for appropriate information on removing mold above my shower on the painted ceiling. The wrong paint was used at the time.
By JohnW from Scotland
Fill your bathtub with steaming hot water and add to the hot water a handful or two of loose olives leaves. Buy loose olive leaves by the pound. (herbalcom.com is one source and very reasonably price.) Keep the bathroom door shut for about an hour to keep steam inside. Wait and watch the mold breakdown. Then wipe down with a saturated sponge of the olive leaf water solution, and your problem will disappear! Repeat if the problem recurs, which won't happen often, if at all.
Joyce in CT
I need to clean mold of my bathroom walls. I need to know the parts of bleach and water to mix so I can spray it on the walls. I need to clean off the mold before I paint.
Rankinfarm from Yuma, AZ
You can use this product to reomve mould and any odour associated with it. http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Mould_Neutraliser.htm
More importantly though, it kills all bacteria and so prevents the mould re occuring
How do you get mold off painted walls?
I've used a mixture of one part laundry chlorine bleach to four parts water. I dab it on with a sponge, leave it for a few minutes, then rinse it off with a rag and let it dry thoroughly. If necessary I use a hair drier. Obviously I put newspapers on the floor in case the bleach drips.
How do you get rid of mold on painted walls? I scrub it off but a black stain is left. How can you get rid of this? Also, the mold is back within the week any ideas on how to stop it?
Elaine from England
In cooler damp climates like Britain the atmosphere is often laden with moisture and this can be compounded by the moisture produced within the house from the kitchen, bathroom and given off from the breath and skin of human bodies. The answer here is to increase ventilation, whether through opening windows and doors, especially after bathing or showering, or have an extractor fan installed. Raising the internal temperature of bathrooms while showering to heat the walls slightly will also prevent the moisture suspended in the air from condensing out when it hits the cooler surface of the wall. But you must then ventilate to remove it from the house.
A bleach solution, (as directed on the bottle), should remove the mould, kill the spores and whiten/lighten the stain. It will recur unless you sort out the ventilation problem, even if you paint over the stain, although some paints have a built in fungicide to discourage mould growth. Regards. Jo (01/24/2005)
By Jo B.
This may sound like quite a hassle and to tell the truth it was, but, believe me, I couldn't even use that room except in the summer due to the heavy amount of mold and it's nasty smell. Now, that I've sealed the walls I can use that room and I just love it.
Important: My mold wasn't the toxic mold you hear about on TV. Yours may be. Use care around any household mold and keep your kids away from it too. If you have any questions, call your local Health Department.
My "sun-porch" turned "craft room" is totally made of plywood, the wood held up to all the bleaching. Wallboard may act differently. (06/15/2007)
I need some tips on cleaning mold off the ceiling of my daughter's bathroom.
Theresa from Campbell, CA
We used Tilex Mold n Mildew last fall and just sprayed it up there and closed the door. I left the window open, picked up all rugs and towels, and the kids were at school so I didn't have to worry about them getting dripped on. Wear goggles, old clothes and gloves and try to stay angled so you are not getting dripped on. I did half the bathroom at a time and let it dry completely. It has not yet come back. (08/24/2004)
Install an extractor fan, not expensive and essential if the room has no or inadequate windows. If you are in a cold winter area just raising the temperature in the bathroom slightly may prevent condensation on the ceiling which gives the ideal conditions for mould growth. A heated towel rail may do the job.
If you apply a fungicide or bleach you can wash it off. I wonder whether the fungicidal paint, which must remain "active" to keep working wouldn't be a greater "health hazard" than the mould spores? Just a thought. The main cure is to increase the airflow and make the conditions unsuitable for mould growth. Regards. Jo in W.A. (08/24/2004)
By Jo Bodey
By Chris s
Firstly, if it is just surface mold the techniques already reviewed for mold removal will work just dandy. However, if the mold gets through your bathroom paint and into your drywall you might have the beginning of a serious mold problem. If mold gets through to the studs or through your drywall you don't have only a mold problem but a moisture control problem too. If you are sincerely worried about the value of your house, and think that mold and moisture might be a problem you are 100% best off trusting this job to a professional.
Mold and moisture help wood rot very fast and rot completely compromises the integrity of structural building materials. It sounds expensive and it is, but it gets worse if not fixed properly. Do-it-your-selfers beware, this is not something you want to get wrong so if you are tackling a mold control situation and you really don't want to have to deal with it again in 1-2 years then make sure you are doing it right. (12/16/2008)
How can I remove what looks like mold in the paint above a shower? The ceiling is white, but looks be-speckled with black.
By grannysjb from Fremont, CA
By Patty Lynn
I found the Red Cross site online while searching for "headaches" and they had a box that asked if you wanted a nurse to contact you and I checked it. When the nurse called me she asked me to describe the symptoms and I didn't get far when she told me to stop, she knew the cause of the illness.
There is a certain type of mold that reacts with the chlorine in the bleach and creates an invisible gas that scars your lungs the first time it is created and you don't feel a thing. She advised me to use white vinegar and water in a 50/50 mix and do not rinse off. It will leave an acid base behind that helps stop the mold from regrowing for a long time.
My body is completely infiltrated with this mold now and I had to leave my house and continue to have some side effects from being so sick. It causes headaches along the trigeminal nerve pathway, I would actually have spasms in my eye balls that others could see, could not walk or stand up once the headache started, had about 6 headaches like this a day, lost almost 40 pounds in 2 months because I couldn't keep anything down.
The only thing that helped was IV's at the ER and serious pain meds and ice cold showers, wet towels frozen in the freezer and draped on me in front of fans and all the windows open, even during the coldest winter with snow on the ground.
This is a very serious problem and worth using the vinegar no matter what anyone else suggests. I live in Oregon and we lose babies every year to black mold because it infiltrates their lungs. Please pass this info to your friends, it might make the difference between life and death. (08/26/2009)
Two children in my family got pneumonia from mold, as well as their mother. That was when my sister in law packed them out of their apartment and moved them to her house. She heard they were sick, went to the house, which was on a damp hillside, took one look and packed them. The house was infested with mold. The apartments needed to be demolished. (08/27/2009)
I might add that I have an exhaust fan in the bathroom that we use all the time, as well as a window which we open when showering or bathing, when it is warm. And here in Saskatchewan, it is a pretty dry climate. When you get something like this, it is difficult to eradicate it entirely; the mildew spores hide in the grooves in the textured ceiling. If anyone knows of a paint especially made to cover this up after it has been cleaned, let me know, please. I haven't tried painting over it. (09/02/2009)
How can mold be cleaned off a textured ceiling?
Press wet sponge to ceiling and leave for 10 seconds then repeat everywhere the mold is. Do this again in 2 weeks to get any mold spores that you didn't get the first time. Lastly, seal with a quality stain-killing tinted primer. If you tint the primer you might not have to also paint. If it were a wall you could use a sprayer, but not on the ceiling. A fairly large sponge works best. (10/12/2009)
How do I remove mold from the bathroom ceiling?
By CHELLE60FOUR from Detroit, MI
By Robyn Fed
How do I get mold off painted walls?