Bees & WaspsPest Control

Avoiding Bee Stings

Category Bees & Wasps

Tips for avoiding bee stings. Post your ideas.

When you are outside, never drink a soda from a can. Bees can fly in your drink and then when you drink, they can sting you. Always use a glass so you can see through and look before taking that drink. Bee stings can kill.

By SHIRLEY DANIELS

Editor's Note: Besides hurting, bee stings can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Always keep some Benedryl handy in the summer and if the person who is stung, starts swelling, or having trouble breathing, give them some benedryl and seek immediate medical attention.

Our family generally uses bottled drinks now for this reason. Keep the top on when you're not drinking. My husband was stung while drinking from a can. Yes, he's allergic and had to have medical attention. This is serious folks.

An old boss of mine, was working outside a few years back. He'd gotten a can of Pepsi during a break. Not finishing the drink before starting back to work, later he came back for the remainder of the Pepsi, only to realize AFTER he'd turned it up and went to swallow that a honeybee had gotten in the can. He had to be rushed to the hospital. His tongue & inside of his mouth swelled up terribly. He was like that for a few days. He made it ok after the Dr. gave him something for it, Luckily!!

my friend and his family were going camping, they never knew about "killer bees" african bees, and settled under a tree were a huge hive was on the other side of the tree, suddenly out of no where a swarm of bees attacked the father because he tried to hit the hive down and also attacked the rest of the family the father ran several miles until he finally made it away he had got stung at least 100 times in the face and arms, he was rushed to medical attention, luckly he wasn't allergic to bees, if he was the attack could've been fatal, he now knows to respect the bees hive and not attempt to break it down, but call a bee control if he needs a hive removed that is on his property. DON'T EVER ATTACK BEES, WASPS, OR HORNET HIVES, They have guards that fly around the perimeter, and could sense human or animal movement from 1/4 of a mile, so if you get chased by them all you can do is RUN!

I woke up one morning and found a bee in my hall. I did not want the children to be stung, so I killed it. Well I thought I killed it. So I got a tissue and picked it up and it stung me. Luckily I am not allergic. Do not try what did.

How scary. I also was bitten in the evening while putting outside furniture away to my shed. I didn't see them as they were yellow jackets.Their nest was under my shed and I didn't know it until I had to run into the house and saw a dead one on the floor along with one that was attacking my leg.

Awful. I didn't swell thank God. Tried using Ortho spray and finally Spectracide brand spray killed them. Very scary especially when you don't know they are bees that are attacking you and it's dark outside.