Hang Shelves in Front of Your Windows

If you need more space and have no place to hang shelves you can hang open-backed shelves in front of your windows. In the kitchen, this is a great place to store colored glass ware (like depression or cobalt glass) because the sun looks great shining through the glass. And in a craft room you can put clear plastic shoe boxes with your crafts inside. Just remember to never store fabric or things that can absorb moisture on a window shelf, but window shelves are a great place to store your pottery, dishes and glasses!

By CDR

That would be a great way to have extra space for growing herbs and flowers, too :-)

Sounds like an idea I can use. Also handy if you have a cat that likes to lay in the sun. A shelf would keep him happy and safe. Just remember - even glass can lose it's color caused by fadinging from the sun. Nothing is free from that!

DoriAnn

It depends on the type of glass because I've never seen a faded Tiffany and/or stained glass window ;-)

NIce Idea! And good advice about watching for items that can be affected by the sun ( fading ) or moisture. Thanks for the inspiration!

Wow yer that's brill glass self in the kichen window ok to ripen fruit i will do that thanks all the best

bryzo

This is a great idea except for one very important thing. It makes it very hard to open and close those windows! I have tried putting shelves in front of my windows too and wound up moving them. I like to be able to open the house up on nice days.

As far as the shelf for the cat, I simply put one shelf at the bottom of the window, basically extending the sill into the room more, covered it with scrap carpet, and my cats always loved it when I've had cats!

Very nice idea.

Would you happen to have a pic of your shelves that you could post or email?

Great for storage in the kitchen, but nice for houseplants, too!

This idea would not be suitable for my windows. Too much direct sun light, surly would not be good for glass etc. and the shelf will only distract your view - may also look a bit messy from outside (sorry!).

Please be aware that sun shining through some pieces becomes like a microscope and can cause fires. Aunt lost her kitchen that way!

Craft supplies for scrapbooking, including scissors, punches, paper and other decorations.
Organizing Craft Supplies
Organizing AdviceMarch 31, 2009
Man putting in Corner Shelves
Building Corner Shelves
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
🎄