Make Your Own Relief Pillow

After being approached numerous times at mall kiosks to try one of those small, filled "tension relief" pads (pillows) I decided to make my own. The kiosk was charging $20.00 and up for a small neck pillow that can be heated and releases a relaxing scent. I took one of my husband's sports socks (tube socks) and stuffed it with rice and a bit of scented lavender mixed in. I tied off one end and had my own!

This worked wonderfully! The sock was perfect to place around the back of the neck while releasing the subtle aroma. Granted, it's not really pretty, but it works! I put it in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes. After many uses I just make a new one and it's cheap!

By Cheryl from Winston Salem, NC

What a great idea, they would make nice gifts too.

This idea applies to making a super heating pad, like the microwaveable ones for which you can pay $10+ at the store. Make a more substantial casing out of some cheap material or old pillow case (as long as its a tight enough weave to hold the rice) Make it any size/shape...8" X 15 is a good neck size. Make a separate case for it, so it can be thrown in the washer. Fill with rice and potpouri (if desired)Heat in the microwave as Cheryl stated. It will be moist and smell like cooked rice but the moisture is good with the heat. These make great gifts that are much appreciated...and cheap, cheap to make.

You can also used beans. It works as well !

I made these and they are great for aches and pains as well. If you have a sore foot or ankle you can drape the heated rice sock over the sore area.I have Rhumatoid arthritis,and sometimes myhands really hurt and I just hold the sock over them it feels so soothing.

Can also use it for a keyboard wrist rest.

you can also store them in freezer for cold packs...switch them back and forth.....freeze the one you nuke.....and nuke the one you freeze....I've seen them made of flannel and lots of other fabrics....the secret is to keep the weave tight and washable.....people with fibro find them to be life savers......aunt has one that is a Frog...he has very long legs.....you just stuff his little body in the microwave....or freezer...he is adorable...

Dried corn also works well, and it smells like popcorn!

Cheryl, that is a great idea!!

Those pillows in the mall AND at the flea markets are expensive. I'm going to make one of those to use on my sore neck.

Thanks for sharing.

Wonder if it would work to sew a bunch of ugly ties to gether to make a container for the rice and herbs...would definitely make a different cover!! I like this idea

I just saw a similar one on craftbits.com which is called a "Dream Pillow" its filled with herbs for relaxation.. looks nice.. great for the kids

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=177

I've made them before and we tye-dyed them using food coloring and rinsed them out and let dry before filling. They work great.

Sand would also work for this project if you have a tight enough weave - it holds heat and scents well.

I am interested in making a relief pillow with cherry pits in it. Has anyone ever made one of these and where can I buy the cherry pits for a reasonable price? I am thinking about making these for Christmas gifts.

Lisa

I've made these as christmas gifts. It works really well with whole flax seeds and sewing every 3 inches or so to close off the pockets. Keeps the filing from all ending up at one end. But since flax seeds are so tiny, you need a tighter weave fabric than a tube sock. You can get whole flax seeds at most health food stores in bulk.

I have a homemade flax seed one that's bib-shaped... the "ties" wrap around your neck and the "body" covers your upper & mid back... absolutely wonderful shape :) Stays where you want it to, even when you're sitting!

Awesome idea! My grandmother was saying she needs a new one the other day, now i can save her some money and make one. VERY CREATIVE, THANKS A MILLION!

Buckwheat hulls also make a great filler. They are really light so it doesn't get heavy, and they hold the heat and scents very well too!

I made one with coarse salt, linen fabric is durable and is thick so fine grains don't fall out. If you leave in the microwave for extra seconds the fabric doesn't burn.

heat therapy pillow
Making a Heat Therapy Pillow
Crafts Bath & BeautyJanuary 16, 2006
Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel
Making a Pillow Case Using Neck Ties
carseat pillow
Making a Child's Handle Pillow
Making a Neck Pillow
Making a Neck Pillow
Making a Picture Pillow
Making a Picture Pillow
🎉
🎄