Removing Dry Erase Marker from Piano Keys

One day I was showing my cousin how to play the piano and I used a dry erase marker to write the notes on the keys. Now it won't come off! I tried rubbing alcohol, water, and Windex. Please help!

By Sami from Twin Bridges, MT

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Marcie 6 220 04/04/2011

Wow, don't have any advice but wondered why you would do such a thing!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Paulette Gulakowski 7 178 04/04/2011

I hope you named the keys correctly! Good for you for passing on your music training.
Go to an office supply store. They have a solution you can buy just for that. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is called.
Or you could try a little hairspray (but that's mostly alcohol).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Christie 1 04/04/2011

When this happens on a dry erase board, I just run the marker over the spot again. It seems to wet it enough, where it comes off. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By dianna smith 1 2 04/04/2011

As a teacher this is something common that happens in a class room. Get a rubber eraser and rub hard and it will erase it. Sometimes following this up with hairspray or alcohol also helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Paula Scott 27 20 04/05/2011

OFF bug spray. Crazy but it works. Took permanent marker off of the wood part of the piano and did not bother the finish whatsoever. Amazing! Let us know what works.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cindy 3 287 04/05/2011

Hello Sami. Yikes! I'm sure you are regretting writing on the keys, but please don't rely on "home remedies" to solve this problem. Please contact the manufacturer of your piano for the ultimate results.

While some of the suggestions listed here might work for some piano keys, your particular solution will depend on the materials used to make your particular piano: Very old piano keys were actually made of wood and ivory. Newer pianos are made of different materials and composites and finishes that I believe have changed over the decades, and since you didn't mention the age or manufacturer of your piano, the generalized suggestions listed here might not be the best for your particular piano and keys.

If you can't contact the manufacturer, please find a reputable piano sales store to ask for more advice. What works to clean a whiteboard was probably not designed to work on your piano keys so don't count on an office supply store or a well intended share site like this to give you "things to try". Please go to a more primary source, for the ultimate solution.

A piano is a huge investment. To protect your investment, again, please go to the most primary source you can find before "experimenting" with unproven solutions for your particular piano.

And Sami, good for you to share your knowledge of music (what a gift) . . . just don't write on piano keys again, okay? :) Good luck and best wishes!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Timmie 5 85 04/05/2011

I think that's a great idea. I would just leave them there.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sami 1 1 04/05/2011

Ok, thanks everyone! The rubber eracer actually worked. And it isnt a piano piano, it is just a keyboard. I would never write on a real piano!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cindy 3 287 04/06/2011

I'm grinning, grinning, grinning, Sami! So glad you found a solution to erase your "keyboard" labeling vs. a full sized, very expensive, real piano "key" labeling with a dry eraser pen!

But seriously (LOL) consider using post-it notes above the keys next time! :) (You can buy the skinny ones very inexpensively that are designed to merely mark pages)

So very happy all worked out well for your dilemma and keep passing on your music abilities as you can! Best wishes!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No