Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Ink Stains on Carpet

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A room with light colored carpet.

Getting ink stains out of carpet without damaging the carpet itself can seem daunting. This is a guide about removing ink stains on carpet.

Solutions: Removing Ink Stains on Carpet

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Salt to Remove Ink Stains

Salt works impressively on ink stains on carpet. If the ink is still wet immediately cover it with salt. Allow the salt to sit overnight then vacuum the area. The salt will absorb the ink. If the ink is already dry, wet it thoroughly before trying the salt treatment. Salt also works on other stains like Kool-Aid or juice.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Ink Stains on Carpet.

Question: Removing Ink Stains from Carpet

My dog chewed up a blue Biro and spread ink all over my brand new tan coloured carpet. Can anyone help with how I can remove it?

By Linda from Perth, Australia

Most Recent Answer

By gbk05/15/2012

after readin all the ways folks remove ink from carpets I feel lucky to have had a friend help me. First ball point pens aren't usually permanent ink and by itself use hairspray. You spray let dry a minute or so and with a paper towel or clean soft absorbent cloth lightly scrub then respray till all gone.

This works. I carried an old printer home on my car carpet and it leaked a lot of in on it. Did this and you couldn't even see a mark of it left. If you have permanent ink and do it right away it will work too.

Question: Removing Ink Stain from Carpet

I got blue ink in my carpet. We put bleach and salt on the spot. Will the bleach take the color out of the carpet?

By Lara

Most Recent Answer

By Anthony M C.08/13/2013

Try using Genesis 950. It is an all purpose stain remover that was initially designed for ink removal in industrial/commercial work places.

RE: Removing Ink Stain from Carpet

Question: Removing Ink Stains on Carpet

When I watered the poinsettias plant, it was overfilled. The red ink color was soaked in to a cream color carpet. How do I get rid of stain?

By Lynn

Question: Removing a Blue Ink Stain in Carpet

I have just found blue ink on my beige stair carpet. I am wondering what is the best way to remove the ink?

By Renee from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Most Recent Answer

By RickJ09/19/2011

Renee,
Try hairspray on the ink. I got red ink out of white carpet with it. Hairspray contains Acetone which will break down the ink so that you can blot it up with a rag. You have to work quick before the hairspray dries. I use Finalnet or something in a plastic spray bottle that you can remove the pump and pour it on. Once the ink is out, use some warm soapy water to pull the stickey stuff out. Good Luck!

Question: How Do I Get Blue Ink Out of Light Carpet?

How do you get blue ink out of light color carpet?

By Brucey

Most Recent Answer

By beechiegirl195306/06/2011

Saturate the ink stain with hair spray. Then allow the stain to fully dry. Mix a solution of one part water to one part white vinegar and pour the solution on the stain. Then brush the area lightly with a medium-bristle brush, preferably a toothbrush. Continue brushing until the stain is gone. Next, blot the area with a dry, white cloth. Flood the area with water. Blot again. Allow to dry.

Question: Tattoo Ink Stains

How can I get tattoo ink out of my beige carpet? I had the whole apartment professionally shampooed, but they did not remove the ink stain. Please help me.

By Kaiti from Appleton, WI

Most Recent Answer

By Anonymous12/08/2010

I don't know if any of these ideas will work on carpet for any or all colors but they are worth a try. Be sure to do color fastness test for each idea in an inconspicuous place first:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5145401_remove-black-ink.html
And how in the world did you get tattoo ink on your carpet?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

If anyone has a suggestion for me to clean ink from my carpet, I tried but it has smeared into several spots. The carpet is peach colored with blue ink spots.

How to remove ink from your carpet?

Stephanie from Spring City, PA

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

I don't normally post things, but I came home and my puppy ate a black pen, and it soaked into the beige carpet. All I had in the house was the rubbing alcohol. Thank you to whoever came up with that. You saved my life, and probably the dog too from the wrath of my wife. (09/02/2007)

By John

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

Me too. Dog, black pen, beige carpet installed in September. I have tried everything on this site for 3 days. I never let the stain dry completely, but it would not budge. I finally decided that I would rather have a white stain than a black one. First I put lemon juice on it and opened the shades so that the sun would bleach it. It made it lighter, but I could still see it.

I then took Clorox "Ultimate Care" bleach and a toothbrush and carefully brushed the stain. It came up immediately and then I immediately soaked up all the bleach with cotton shop towels. So far it looks really good. It did break down a little bit of the actual twist in the fiber, but you have to get on your hands and knees to see it. Good Luck. (12/11/2007)

By Linda

BLUE INK!!

My dog was sleeping in my room for the first time. I slept like a baby throughout the the entire night as I did not hear any noise. I thought my dog had been a really good boy until I woke up the next morning. There was dog pee all over the carpet, toilet paper surrounded the room and worst of all my brand new $800.00 mat. There was blue ink all over it. I tried a combination of OxiClean and alcohol and it worked like magic to the eye. Thanks again. Steph (04/24/2008)

By Steph

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

Dog ate Bic ball point pen and got big gobs of ink on beige carpet. Alcohol and hairspray - did not work very well. A product called Amodex worked wonders. Skip that other stuff, it will tend to set the stain. (10/03/2008)

By DaveK

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

Another product that works great on stains is Folex; this is a spray and you can find it at Walmart and Lowe's; it is sold in quart and gallon size containers. It has been on the market for over 35 years. I have used it to remove pet vomit (especially hard to remove if the yellow bile in the vomit has set in the carpet), pet urine and other stains. I used Folex first when my dog chewed up a pen that had purple dye in the ink and it got on the carpet; then I followed up with the Oxy-Clean powder and rubbing alcohol paste. Using a toothbrush I gently rubbed the stain until it went away. Great results. (02/15/2009)

By Lisa

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

My dog chewed a black ink pen and left a black ink pen stain. I tried a stain fighter first. It was supposed to be super concentrated. But all it did was spread the stain even more. So then I poured alcohol all over the stain. That got most of the stain out. But I was left with what was spread. So I tried the baking soda and vinegar mix. That got most of the rest of the stain out. You can still see a little bit of blue. But not as much as before. Thank you, a lot. (07/10/2009)

By pebbleslover023

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

My dog chewed a ball point pen and got it all over the carpet. I tried the alcohol and blotting method and seemed to work, but I have better things to do with my day. I went out to the shop got the wet vac, a spray bottle and filled with 91% alcohol, turned on the vac and saturated the stain and vacuumed vigorously, spray, vac, spray, vac. No blotting needed and no bleeding. Done in 20 minutes carpet clean to the backing. (07/31/2009)

By mikegj

Archive: Tattoo Ink Stains

How to clean tattoo ink out of clothes?

Cheri from TX

RE: Tattoo Ink Stains

If it hasn't been dried and maybe even if it has, try to soak it over night in a double strong solution of OxiClean. I had my back tattooed and I had a bunch of ink on my top and I bled a bunch, OxiClean got both out. (03/16/2007)

By Gaby (guest)

RE: Tattoo Ink Stains

How do I get ink out of carpeting?

By Gloria from Milwaukee, WI

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

I don't know exactly, but there is a product called Incredible and I buy it at my local Kroger grocery store in Houston, Texas USA. It got eyeliner pencil out of almost white carpeting in a condo I was renting. I sweated that one out, I can tell you.

The only other thing I can think of, and I'd try it in a tiny part of your carpet first, is aerosol hairspray. It gets out ink from clothing I know that. Maybe you have a leftover piece of your carpet from after it was installed and you can test the hairspray on that piece.

I have no more tricks up my sleeve, sorry, but good luck. (10/23/2009)

By metroplex

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

Hairspray! Works every time. Soak the stain with hair spray. Blot, but do not rub. This has worked hundreds of times with getting ink out of beige carpet to jeans. (10/24/2009)

By beaglepete

RE: Removing Ink Stains From Carpet

Printer cartridge (cyan color) leaked two drops over the beige carpet. Out of desperation I magnified 2 drops to 8x2 inches by rubbing with wet paper towel. Thanks for the tips here. I used Oxiclean, first dabbed the stained area with Oxiclean mixed with water (1 tea spoon of Oxiclean with 6 or 8 oz of water). With just 4 swipes my carpet is spotless (don't reuse wiped off paper towel). (11/03/2009)

By Sam2006

Can someone help me? I left a color cartridge (printer) on the end table in my spare room and my grand daughter got it, she's 1. She dropped it on the floor. It was leaking blue ink and left this mess. What can I do to remove it? The carpet is linen in color, a real light tan, sort of.

By Mary from Phoenix, AZ

Archive: Removing Ink Stains from Carpet

I have an ink stain on my carpet. The carpet is tannish brownish.

Archive: Tattoo Ink Stains

I have a huge tattoo ink stain on my beige carpet. I tried Shout and alcohol but, they didn't work. The stain is all different colors. Any ideas?