Removing Ink Stains on Carpet

Getting ink stains out of carpet without damaging the carpet itself can seem daunting. This is a guide about removing ink stains on carpet.

August 10, 2010 Flag

Salt works impressively on ink stains on carpet. If the ink is still wet immediately cover it with salt. Allow the salt to sit overnight then vacuum the area. The salt will absorb the ink. If the ink is already dry, wet it thoroughly before trying the salt treatment. Salt also works on other stains like Kool-Aid or juice.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

I have always used hairspray on ink stains and it's always worked. Spray it freely, let it sit for a bit & then wash. Taa daa!

I'd never heard of this, but it's something to try. The best part? Salt is plentiful and very inexpensive.

April 4, 2016 Flag

My grand-daughter was cleaning the stamp every time she used it on a damp paper towel. However the paper towel bled through onto my carpet. Any ideas on how to I remove the stain?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get rid of red ink stains on my carpet that leaked out of my printer as it was being carried to another room?

1 tsp dawn dishwashers detergent , 3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide with a couple teaspoons of baking soda shud take it rt out

March 22, 2011 Flag

My dog chewed up a blue Biro and spread ink all over my brand new tan coloured carpet. Can anyone help with how I can remove it?

By Linda from Perth, Australia

Take a vinegar and add some water, then with a clean cloth. Spray in the area where the stain. Don't scrub with the cloth just gently remove the excess of the ink or anything that is in the carpet.

My beautiful black labrador puppy decided he would grab a blue ballpoint pen and chew it until there was no more, we found huge spots of blue ink in our lovely beige cream carpet mind you we are renting! It was sitting there the whole day until we saw it this afternoon. I tried all these remedies you have going but the thing that works the best is a bowl of warm soapy *detergent* water a sponge and a vaccuum cleaner.

Drizzle some water on the stain work it into the stain with your pointer fingers and youll see the colouring in the water then vaccuum it up with the vaccuum pushed to the ground and then keep doing this until you see the stain almost gone then use some spot stain remover from your local grocery store. After you've vaccuumed it up just use a towel and pat the damp outside parts.

July 22, 2013 Flag

I got blue ink in my carpet. We put bleach and salt on the spot. Will the bleach take the color out of the carpet?

By Lara

Oh no! you should have used hair spray on the ink spot. If that doesnt work get a product from The Dollar Tree called Totally Awesome. This stuff is unreal for getting out everything. It is a spray that is yellow in color. Hope this helps.

Try using Genesis 950. It is an all purpose stain remover that was initially designed for ink removal in industrial/commercial work places.

September 2, 2011 Flag

I have just found blue ink on my beige stair carpet. I am wondering what is the best way to remove the ink?

By Renee from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Renee,

Try hairspray on the ink. I got red ink out of white carpet with it. Hairspray contains Acetone which will break down the ink so that you can blot it up with a rag. You have to work quick before the hairspray dries. I use Finalnet or something in a plastic spray bottle that you can remove the pump and pour it on. Once the ink is out, use some warm soapy water to pull the stickey stuff out. Good Luck!

I just tried this and it worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

May 7, 2011 Flag

How do you get blue ink out of light color carpet?

By Brucey

Saturate the ink stain with hair spray. Then allow the stain to fully dry. Mix a solution of one part water to one part white vinegar and pour the solution on the stain. Then brush the area lightly with a medium-bristle brush, preferably a toothbrush. Continue brushing until the stain is gone. Next, blot the area with a dry, white cloth. Flood the area with water. Blot again. Allow to dry.

December 7, 2010 Flag

How can I get tattoo ink out of my beige carpet? I had the whole apartment professionally shampooed, but they did not remove the ink stain. Please help me.

By Kaiti from Appleton, WI

I don't know if any of these ideas will work on carpet for any or all colors but they are worth a try. Be sure to do color fastness test for each idea in an inconspicuous place first:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5145401_remove-black-ink.html

And how in the world did you get tattoo ink on your carpet?

March 22, 2011 Flag

Cartridge ink leaked onto nylon carpet. It was a small mark, but when I treated it with white vinegar it spread to a huge spot as big as a dinner plate. I have treated it a number of times and soaked up with paper towel and chamois, but it is still there. It is now a bluish colour on a beige carpet.

By Nicole from Australia NSW

Answers:

Removing Ink Stains from Carpet

I'm not sure if it will still work seeing you have used vinegar, but spray with hairspray, cover with a cloth and iron the ink spot and the cloth will soak up the ink, works with Biro as well. (07/02/2010)

By Cheekes

Removing Ink Stains from Carpet

I use hair spray on all ink stains and shoe polish stains, if the hairspray doesn't work try hydrogen peroxide. Of course since peroxide is a bleaching agent I would check it in an area that isn't very visible, to see if the carpet fiber itself will be bleached by this. (07/03/2010)

By Cleo1978

Removing Ink Stains from Carpet

I do a little tattooing from home. My 3 year old son got hold of some ink and squirted it all over my new light tan carpet, at first I panicked and went to it with hot soapy water (bad idea) the ink just smudged and got worse. Since reading the previous comment, I've tried hair spray removing most of the stain, followed by nail varnish remover, and a little of the good old Smirnoff vodka, the stain has not totally gone, but has been reduced to a very light hue. I will continue to try different methods to totally remove the light hue left and report back. Thanks to all for the previous comments.
P.S. Don't let the stain dry. (01/31/2011)

By tregaa

December 7, 2010 Flag

I have a huge tattoo ink stain on my beige carpet. I tried Shout and alcohol but, they didn't work. The stain is all different colors. Any ideas? Please help. I want to try to get it gone before Thanksgiving.

By Nicole

Answers:

Tattoo Ink Stains

Sorry I didn't see your problem till now. I can only recommend Resolve. It is what my ex used to clean stains out of the carpet my kids made. I don't know if it will work on ink.

And I just remembered a TV ad about some kind of cleaner "with the added strength of Resolve" but unfortunately the name eludes me. Maybe someone can help. (11/27/2009)

By Suntydt

July 1, 2010 Flag

I have an ink stain on my carpet. The carpet is tannish brownish.

By RJOU from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Removing Ink Stains from Carpet

I got on this site because of a pet/ink pen emergency on white carpet. I used Oxiclean powder with water and it is now spotless. About an hour and 7 white bath towels, now ruined, later. The key is to keep adding solution to the blotted spot like you are starting over each time, and blotting almost dry and then repeat. Near the end, the towels were barely picking up color so then I started to flush with plain water. Soak carpet with solution and blot, don't rub. You have to be patient, of course I was panicked for the first 15 minutes, but then I could see I was starting to win the game. The carpet is literally spotless. I started with two quarter sized spots of black ink from a Uniball pen. The process took me an hour and it is a good workout. Good luck! (06/23/2010)

By dleigh217

March 10, 2010 Flag

Can someone help me? I left a color cartridge (printer) on the end table in my spare room and my grand daughter got it, she's 1. She dropped it on the floor.

December 24, 2009 Flag

How do I get ink out of carpeting?

November 26, 2009 Flag

How to clean tattoo ink out of clothes?

October 23, 2009 Flag

How to remove ink from your carpet?

August 6, 2007 Flag

If anyone has a suggestion for me to clean ink from my carpet, I tried but it has smeared into several spots. The carpet is peach colored with blue ink spots.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetNovember 4, 2012
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎉
🎄