Baked Cavetelli

Makes 6 main-dish servings or 8 to 10 potluck servings.

Ingredients

• 8 ounces dried cavetelli pasta
  • 1 (14-1/2 oz.) can whole Italian-style tomatoes
  • Ad
  • 1/2 of a 6-oz. can(1/3 cup) Italian-style tomato paste (or your choice)
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine or tomato juice
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup sliced, pitted ripe olives
  • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (2-ounces)

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor container, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, oregano, and pepper. Cover, blend until smooth and set aside. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink. Drain well. Stir in tomato mixture. Bring to boiling: reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pasta and olives. Spoon the pasta mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until heated through.

Note: If needed for later, chill unbaked casserole, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more.

By Connie from Oden, Arkansas

This sounds great, but I'd probably add half a pound of Italian sausage and brown it with the beef.. I always get the hot, but that is just because I like food that bites back (I like it hot). You can probably find mild Italian sausage if that is what you prefer. Anyway it makes a world of difference in dishes like this, and if you are expecting diners who can't take the heat, get the mild sausage and sit out plenty of Tabasco. Personally, I do not play. When I eat a dish like this I expect it to explode in my face, and I expect it to attempt to kick my remaining teeth out. (So far none have but several have tried, and I respect their efforts).

From "Deep In The Heart of Dixie" - Alph

Food and Recipes Recipes International Italian PastaMarch 14, 2007
Baked Beans
Baked Beans Casserole Recipes
baked oatmeal
Baked Oatmeal Recipes
Baked Cod
Baked Cod Recipes
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes
🎄