Use Plastic Placemats For Cutting Board

Since recently moving, have misplaced a plastic cutting board. Went to the dollar store and purchased a plastic place mat, (not the kind that has foam on the back side) and I use this place mat for any cutting of vegetables/meats, etc. When the place mat becomes too used, just toss and get another. Yesterday I was able to purchase 4 new ones for only $1

By Czechlady from Yakima WA

I have seen these disposable cutting boards at Big Lots and dollar stores. I would be concerned about the paint on placemats not being food safe for raw foods.

Plastic is the worst item possible for harbouring germs, especially for items such as chicken. It is very difficult to get it clean properly when scratched, unless you soak it in bleach to kill the nasties. Glass boards are a breeze to clean as they do not scratch, so the risk of food poisoning is greatly reduced. You would be better off helping reduce landfill by paying a few dollars for a toughened glass cutting board, and this will save on replacement costs as well.

Glass cutting boards will dull your knives. I always purchased inexpensive cutting boards, so I finally invested in a cutting board from Cutco which has a lifetime guarantee. They are great; a bit expensive but worth it.

Purple Placemat
Uses for Placemats
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 23, 2007
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Fabric Napkin
Making Fabric Placemats and Napkins
Tulip Placemats
Making Crocheted Placemats
Wax Paper Flowers
Making Wax Paper Placemats