Keep Flag From Fraying

We like to fly our American flag 24 hours a day, and living where the wind blows almost non-stop we go through a lot of flags. My father told me this secret to saving them. Before flying her the first time, sew packaging string or other heavy cord around the edges rolling it up several times; this will keep the wind from whipping it quite so fast.

Our flag flies at our dock as we live on the tip of a peninsula on a lake in the center of Nebraska and all around use our point as a beacon for we have our flag lit 24 hours a day. Thanks Dad. Be a proud American; fly Old Glory proudly!

By Ann W. from Loup City, NE

Wonderful idea, Ann! :-)

I am confused about the "rolling it up several times." Do you mean that you lay the cord on the edge of the flag fabric then roll the fabric around the cord to encase it and then stitch it down? Or is it something else. Thanks.

Like Melody, I'm a little confused concerning the details but I still love the tip. Brings back memories of the flagpole we used to have in front of our suburban Indianapolis home when I was very young.

American Flag
Maintaining a Flag
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMay 23, 2011
American Flag Pillow
American Flag Craft Projects
Flag flying on a metal pole.
Making a Flag Pole
A woman wearing cutoff jeans.
Keeping Cutoff Jeans from Fraying
American flag suitcase.
Buying American Flag Themed Luggage