Making a Flag Pole

Category Garden
Making a flag pole is an easy DIY project that just about anyone can do with a few supplies and tools. This is a guide about making a flag pole.

My grandsons are visiting me for several weeks this summer. Here is a picture of the flag pole Derek made for us while he was here. He found the old pole behind our garage. He painted the pole white, and attached a solar light on top. It looks so great. He is so handy and loves to make things. I will enjoy this for years.

By Dorothy W. from New Creek, WV

I need some advice regarding making a flag and flag pole to use at football games. I am a cheer coach. There are times when it would be nice to have a flag with our school's name on it or something like that for the cheerleaders to run with in front of the fans.

I am a sewer, but I need some advice about materials to use. I'm thinking that nylon would be the right fabric for the flag part. I'm also thinking that since both sides show, I should make it in two layers and then sew the layers together. Do you think the design from the "other side" will show through? Also, what do you think the flag pole should be made of? There are companies that make and sell these flags, but they are too expensive for our team to purchase. Thanks for your help.

By Tina

Answers

I think nylon would be best. Think you would need to use embroidery stitching to put on the logo or mascot. Your idea of doing on 2 pieces is good, but you would need to line it or maybe make like a pillow and stuff it with something light. I would look at your local craft store and find the flag poles they sell to hang outside people's homes. They are long and sturdy and would be perfect for running back and forth along the stands. We have Christmas Tree Shops by us here and they sell them for 9.99, bet you could make the whole thing for under $20 plus your time. I ran booster clubs for years when the kids were small and share some of the ideas we did for team spirit in our family album. The link is in my profile. You may find some other fun and inexpensive ideas that are so fun for the kids!

I did this for Girl Scouts years ago. I used regular cotton material and had weights in the bottom. For the mascot you could copy it onto cloth (I'd do solid school colors) and then glue it on. If you didn't think it would stick for lots of uses you could also slip stitch around the letters. For the pole you could use a dowel rod big enough to support the weight.
Good luck to you. I always loved the personal touch!

Glenda

I use pvc pipe for my colorguard practice flagpoles. It is very inexpensive and durable. The pipe can be left white, painted or covered with colored tape. Make a tube at the edge of the flag to slide the pole into. Attach your flag with sticky back velcro with the hook attached to the pole and the fuzz attached to the inside of the flag "tube". There should be velcro at the top and the bottom of the tube. The tube should cover the velcro. Use nylon for the flag if you want it to flutter. You can use felt if you don't want to see through it. It is not washable, however.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.
Polly: it sounds like you've done something similar before to what I am trying to do. How tall do you typically make the pvc flag pole and what size flag do you typically make?

I am trying to make a flag pole out of PVC pipe that goes in the ground. The top is at about a 45 degree angle, and it turns in the wind. Does anyone have instructions on how to make one of these flag poles? Help!

By dadmor from Ottumwa, IA

Answers

I found these instructions posted online.
http://www.info  xm/flagpole.html

I made mine by filling a five gallon bucket with cement and then putting in a pvc pipe. Then I buried my bucket in the yard and I just slide by flag pole into it. I drilled a hole through both pipes and ran a bolt through and put a washer on the other side. Hope this helps!