Replace Fitted Sheets

I know this is not the thriftiest tip ever submitted but it works great for me. I had several sets of King size sheets where the bottom sheet was "pilly" and the elastic all stretched out and quite bothersome. So I went to Walmart and bought 2 different color fitted king size sheets at $12.00 each to replace those.

I got 2 new sets of sheets for $24.00 less than the cost of 1 new set of sheets at Walmart. I know there are ways to fix the old bottom sheets, but I don't sew and the elastic is expensive so this was a quick fix for me. I picked 2 colors that were most predominant in the sets and viola, 3 new sets.

I love this site and love all the great tips that are submitted. I will use the old worn out sheets in the garden for frost cloths or painting drop cloths or something so they won't go to waste.

By Lynn from South Texas

You might also want to donate your old sheets to a local pet center like SPCA - the animals get very cold at night and they don't mind the sheets that have pilling.

I made pillow cases out of the bottom sheets that were stretched out like that. I just measured the other cases I have and cut them a bit larger and sewed them by hand. I used them for years. Now that I have a machine I use it to sew with.

I usually cut mine down and sew into pillowcases. I never seem to have enough pillowcases. When they wear out, I cut a small slit in the closed end, slip over a hanger, and use as a dust cover for my out-of-season clothes. They are the perfect size, are washable, and work much better than the plastic ones you buy from the store.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsFebruary 19, 2009
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
A stack of folded sheets.
Folding Fitted Sheets
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets