BugsPest Control

Keeping Bugs Out of a Camper

Category Bugs

What is the best way to keeps bugs and insects out of my camper for the winter?

Eric from Lowell, MA

We took heavy plastic and tied( or tape) around the air conditioner and so far no problem.

One of my favorite ways to keep bugs & moths out of my wool sweaters, coats & yarn is to take a cotton ball or a paper towel & put several drops of Tea Tree oil on it, then slip it into a small zip lock bag. I then poke several holes in the bag or just leave it partial unzipped. You would then tuck one of these into each drawer, cupboard & in between your bedding & everywhere else you can think of. This baggie, Paper Towel & Tea Tree Oil doesn't cost much, in fact it's super cheap.

*You can buy the Tea Tree Oil at a health food store.

I hate the smell of tea-tree oil, but it'll air out in the springtime, but there are several alternatives I've heard about that you could also try. I don't know if they'll work as well but I've heard you can also use either pure Cedar oil or Lavender oil. I've never tried these myself, but I DO know the Tea Tree oil DOES work!

--> The main thing you need to think about really isn't the bugs, What you really need to worry about is the moisture! Buy yourself 2 or 3 of those moisture baskets that you fill with those dry crystals at any hardware store. They will fill up with water. Be sure to dump them out & put in new crystals once each month. A De-humidifier would work even better!

* Another thing you can do (for the moisture) is to take a bag of the cheapie regular clay cat litter & pour it into the leg of panty hose & tie the end off. Then hand this cat litter in your closets etc. It will soak help soak up moisture so you don't get mold growth. Many people use this trick to keep their car trunks moisture free.

Anything I pack away which is made of fabric is placed in plastic bags strong enough to keep them safe and dry, then tuck in a couple bars of TONE soap out of the box. I've had clothing packed away for 20 years, and unpacked them to find them as fresh and nice as they were when I packed them.

Combat for small and large roaches is a must in any area including automobiles here in Florida. My husband keeps several of each kind in the trunk of the car, and one of each under front and back seats. We sprinkle diatomaceous earth and 20 Mule Team Borax between cabinets, on floors and into the crevices of overstuffed furniture (including bedding) when we leave our camper for any length of time. We don't have any bugs, and the soap will keep things smelling nice instead of musty. Hope this helps, Julia

God forbid the smell BUT Irish Spring bath soap, cut into pieces, hang it in a netting (take nylon net, make a multi layer bag and stick the pieces in.) This is also good for mice. I can't stand the smell of moth ball crystals either, so take your pick. Formaldehyde is in the moth balls. Soap is very friendly.

We own a campground and the best advice I have is Peppermint Altoids--spider's hate the smell. Just place them around the camper. I also agree with mothballs and strong deodorant soap.