Browsing: Cleaning a Lampshade

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Lampshade

Lampshades are often overlooked when doing routine cleaning which can cause them to look drab and dirty. They are often made of fabric which requires special care when cleaning. This is a guide about cleaning lampshades.

picture of a dusty lampshade
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 16, 2004 Flag

I have off-white colored lamp shades that get very dusty and coated in cat hair. Without rubbing in the dust and discoloring the shades, how can I get them clean and dust-free?

Nicole W. from Kentucky

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bounce-type fabric sheets work well for this.

try a Swiffer Duster, I use them on my pleated white lamp shades and they are fantastic !!

If the shades aren't pleated, this is a great trick -

I bought a 4 pk of Lint Rollers that have tear off sheets, at Sam's Club. I keep one upstairs and one downstairs. You can;t believe the amount of "stuff" they pick up off of the lamp shades!

Read More Answers...

September 29, 2011 Flag

I got so frustrated trying to vacuum my lamp shades or knocking the dust off with a rag. A lint roller is the best thing I have ever tried. It takes the dust off like a champ. Cleaning lamp shades could not be easier.

By Vicki Ann

August 2, 2011 Flag

I have used Kaboom foaming bathroom cleaner on my fabric lampshades with outstanding results. I took the lampshades into the bathroom over the tub and sprayed them down good. I lightly rubbed the foam in with my hand and waited about 10 minutes for it to work. I rinsed very well and then took them out in the hot Florida sun to dry.

They all turned out bright and clean with no streaks. I am amazed how well this worked. I even used this on my lampshade with beads on the bottom, with great results. To think I was going to throw the shade out and replace it. Now it looks brand new.

By Carmen D.C. from Daytona Beach, FL

February 22, 2012 Flag

I use a lint roller to clean my lampshades. The roller is also great for cleaning carpeted stairs in between regular vaccuming.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

August 11, 2011 Flag

Lampshades can build up grime, dust, and pet hair over time. Cleaning them can be difficult, but it is worth trying before your replace them. Here are some tips for cleaning lampshades:

October 24, 2007 Flag

Use a lint roller on carpeted stairs and to dust lamp shades. Use the kind of lint roller that has the pull off sheets. It leaves absolutely no residue and works beautifully.

March 23, 2010 Flag

To clean fabric lamp shades, use a lint roller. Can also be used to clean carpeted stairs.

April 20, 2011 Flag

How do I clean a lamp shade?

By Lillie from Newport News, VA

Answers:

Cleaning a Lampshade

I tried just about everything on this page and nothing faded the tough water lines and yellowing on my shades. Confronted with the fact they were $50 a piece I decided to go for a Hail Mary. I sprayed Clorox Cleanup onto the shade, let it sit a minute, scrubbed it with an abrasive sponge, dipped it into the tub and, it was a little lighter! I did it again, and again, and again and no more stain! (07/31/2010)

By toukeebird

April 9, 2010 Flag

I need ways to clean fabric covered lampshades that are discolored due to smoking (without quitting, which I'm trying to do). I do dust them every week.

By Elyag from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Cleaning a Lampshade

I found for dusting lampshades a great thing to use are rubber gloves. It takes all lint and fuzz to the bottom and then you either vacuum or rub off. They work great for removing pet hair from sofas, etc. (05/19/2009)

By kostalota

Cleaning a Lampshade

I've read that a smushed, rolled up ball of white bread (without the crust) works. It's supposed to work for wallpaper cleaning, but I bet it will also "dry-clean" your lamp shade. Just keep using a new piece when the old one gets dirty. You can also use a dry-clean sponge. They sell them online. For nicely made fabric lampshades (that have no paper-tape or frayed edges), they can usually be washed.

This is how I washed my pleated window shades: Spray it with Simple Green (straight from the bottle) outside, then leave it on for 5 minutes, then hose it down. You can also use "Scrubbing Bubbles" or the dollar store equivalent (then hose it down). You need a strong cleaner like this to cut the nicotine. This is what I've done for my ex-mother-in-law who used to chain smoke (until she recently died of lung cancer). *Sorry, but it's the truth. I pass no judgment, we all have our addictions. Some to food, some to shopping, and some to other things. (05/19/2009)

By Cyinda

Cleaning a Lampshade

I use MeanGreen for lampshades and laundry stains. Just spray, let sit for a few minutes and rinse with water. For tough stains, spray, rub gently with fingers and rinse. (05/23/2009)

By taabb7

Cleaning a Lampshade

To remove dust from lampshades, I use a lint roller. (05/23/2009)

By chef4u

Cleaning a Lampshade

Sounds nuts, but I fill the bathtub with lukewarm water, add laundry soap and stick them in. I turn them every so often to make sure it saturates everything. Then drain and fill with clean water the rinse the soap off. I take them out, put them on a couple of old towels in front of a fan and they dry in no time at all. I haven't warped one yet. (05/23/2009)

By falldowngobump

Cleaning a Lampshade

When I get or make a fabric lampshade I always spray it with several coats of Scotchguard before I ever use it, it helps quite a bit in the long run. (10/23/2009)

By wolfbytez

May 19, 2009 Flag

I would like to clean my lamp shades. They are fabric and were exposed to a smoking room for a good while.

April 28, 2009 Flag

Tips for cleaning lampshades. Post your ideas.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJuly 8, 2011
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
Lampshade
Repairing a Lampshade
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 3:01:04 AM on 10.0.0.77 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.