Can I Use a Hand Steamer to Defrost a Freezer?

Is it OK to use a hand steamer to melt ice when defrosting the freezer? I find my indoor outdoor vac sure saves time, my legs, and back to clean up the water that is in the bottom.

By Carol from FL

I am not sure, but the steam might damage the plastic parts. I use a fan, as someone posted on here last week. Works as fast as anything I have ever tried. Nice idea about the shop vac! I found that a Rubbermaid tote fits perfectly in the bottom of my freezer and catches most of the ice and water. I use newspaper to absorb drips.

Don't do it. My dad melted the inside of our freezer years ago using a hair dryer.

I have used a hair dryer before and had no problems. Just use a slow steady stream of air, and do not focus in one place for too long. Use towels or a pan below to catch the drips/ice chunks. Good luck!

Like Mjeffwhit, I've used my hairdryer for years with no problems. I use the trays you get for ready pasted wallpaper to catch drips, right size for my freezer.

Defrosting Your Freezer
Defrosting Your Freezer
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesApril 3, 2011
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Antique Steamer Trunk
Determining the Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs
Opening Frozen Car Door
Opening a Door That is Frozen Shut