Easy Gardening

Don't dig that dirt, do this. Lay sheets of newspaper on the spot you pick for a garden. Cover the spot in the papers and then pile on dirt and compost.

Water it and let it sit. In a few months then plant your flowers. You can use cardboard in place of newspapers. Doing this kills the grass weeds etc. and it is so easy to garden this way.

By Paula Phillips from Oklahoma

Just a comment on Paula's "Easy Gardening Tip"she won the "Neighborhood Garden Of the Month" this past summer.She used this tip through her beautiful garden,you can see her entries in the "Home and Garden "garden site.

I wonder if this will work with this heavy clay soil I have here in VA? Its awful, like digging in concrete!

I used to use newspaper on top of grass and then pile on 6 inches wood chips, now I skip the newspaper. I just cut the grass very low, then pile on 6 inches or more of wood chips (which I get for free from my local tree service). Wait 6 months and it is ready to plant!

Jim in Jax

Yes this will work in clay also...

This method works soooo well! I live in SD. If I want new beds for spring, in the fall I use this method and let it sit all winter. I use wood chips, some dirt and leaves . In the spring I add more dirt etc and mix it all up and have a wonderful flower bed. It is called lasagna gardening.

Photos GardenDecember 3, 2005
Green Gardening Tips
Green Gardening Tips
Square Foot Gardening
The Basics of Square Foot Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
🎄