OtherPhotos

Make Your Own Can Drainer

I found this expensive single can drainer at a local thrift shop. While it was a fluke to find that particular thing that I needed, it was not the best part of this tip.

If you only have one thing to drain, why dirty up a colander or something similar. And we all know how dangerous it is to have the lid sticking up when you are trying to do something with it.

So, I was giving Kizzy and Gimpy their treat today, and happened to wash it and put it in the recycling.

And guess what it landed on?

Yep, on top of an empty can of peas. So, I got out my hammer and a nail and made my own. This will probably work for Tuna cans too, but I didn't have one.

Simply pound some holes in the bottom and you have a strainer you can put over just about any standard veggie or fruit can that needs to drain the water or juice.

N-JOY!

By Poor But Proud from Salem OR

Good idea but why use a strainer at all? I just remove the lid from a can completely with a rotary can opener, then use the lid itself as a strainer. Great for tuna fish--place the loose lid back on the can, turn over and press with your fingers--all the oil or water flows out, leaving just the tuna.

Use the same procedure for canned veggies, fruit, etc.

I have used just the lid many times, however, I have lost tuna when the lid bent from too much pressure. I like your idea better. :)

I have done OliveOyl's way for years. There's no need to buy or store some special gadget. No need to dirty a strainer. I watched a chef on foodnetwork doing the same thing and he remarked that his father had always done it that way. I've been doing that way for over 30 yrs. Works for me!

Great Idea. I also like the one from OliveOyl

Anonymous

As usual, love yet another great and frugal idea from you :-) Too bad it didn't get posted sooner cause I just bought one of those can strainers a week and a half ago :-o That's okay, cause now I'll have two for different items at the same time ;-)

I've tried using the lid technique for draining tuna several times before too and lost valuable tuna down the sink like kghsave mentions :-( I also don't like having to dirty a fork to get the lid out when the lid gets stuck inside the can. I buy water packed tuna because I don't like the thought of it being packed in oil but maybe you don't lose tuna with oil packed?

I use water packed tuna and have always used the lid method to strain it. When the lid gets stuck I just push down on one side of the lid with my fingers, and use the fork or whatever I'm using to get all the tuna out of the can to get the lid out.

I've always used OliveOyl's method because I never seem to have time to wait for the can to drain. Now if only I had something like this for my small pots. Hubby either drains for me, or I have to dirty my colander and then try not to lose food down the drain!