Cosmetic Surgery For Walls

contest winner icon

Over the years I have come to accept my flaws. I now call wrinkles my "smile grooves" and as far as body flaws, well, I have decided that God does have a sense of humor! But after looking at my garage walls for years, I knew it finally needed some form of cosmetic surgery.

My laundry room is located in the garage and we all know how often we have to do laundry. The structure itself was intact but what the eyes could see was just plain UGH-H-H! I couldn't afford to hire anyone. The house was built in 1970 with my husband's parents owning it for years before us. Needless to say, it had many years to acquire it's share of bumps, dings, scrapes, and just plain ol' ugly marks.

The paint, once white (I think), was now an atrocious gray. The entire garage is made of cinder blocks which are as substantial as my husband's stubbornness and both way-y-y too expensive to replace. My husband I can accept, it's just part of his endearing personality, but the garage wall HAD to go!

One day, as I was doing some wash with my eyes closed (I got good at that over the years), an idea hit me. If I can't fix the boo-boo's, I can try to hide them. We had several partial gallons of paint left over from other projects. After taking an inventory, I found that I had enough tan and brown to cover the blocks if I was thrifty about it. Hesitating no longer, I set off to perform surgery on the UGH-H-H walls.

I gathered up some sponges, mixed up some paint and started sponging the walls. I did not hesitate for a moment. Why, you ask? Just two reasons. 1) I already had the paint and 2) I knew it couldn't look worse than it already did! Enough logic and motivation for me!

The only hard part was choosing where to start. I have to say, there is no better medicine for the soul, than immersing one's self into a project. I didn't bang this out in a week. I did some here and there and while the laundry was washing and drying, I painted. A transformation started. The room began to look brighter and I found myself actually enjoying being out there.

When I finished sponging the walls, all the imperfections seemed to disappear. I felt elated but yet a little sad. I was really enjoying myself and didn't want to stop. I was addicted! Well, I thought, if the walls look so much better at this point, they will look even better if I add some whimsy.

You got it! With no hesitation again, I dove right in. My first idea was a clothesline full of clothes. I painted that on the wall close to the washer and dryer. The ideas were just pouring into my head. No wall was safe after that and I ended up painting them all, including the back of the door leading into the house. I even painted a dragonfly rug onto the cement floor in front of the washer and dryer.

The entire project was so much fun. I only regret not thinking of it sooner. So, bring me your dirty clothes! I love my garage now. It makes me smile!

When you do it with heart - it's art!

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

That is a really cute idea.

This is so very cute, I want to copy it! Love it.

What a wonderful idea! I love all the artwork you did, and you write so well. I hope I can use this idea somewhere, someday. How lovely!

Kudos to you! How awsome and cheerful your walls look :) You really did a great job and I just might steal the idea some day as we have cinder block walls in our garage too. Love it, love it, love it!

What an adorable garage/laundry. You are quite the artist!

This is just adorable. Some of your ideas could be incorporated indoors too. You turned an ugly place into a friendly place.

What incredible talent! I love the walls and what a wonderful view for such a mundane task as laundry.

Wish my washer/dryer was out in the garage now. Great ideas to transform a boring task.

Great job! How creative you are. Nothing like taking the lemons in life and making lemonade. I know that these victories may seem small to some, but they can make life seem so much brighter. I always like to be around positive people who make the best of circumstances like you! Thanks for sharing.

You did an excellent job. What a difference some imagination, and paint can do. Well done!

What a delightful read, and project. You've proven that ingenuity is a frugal gal's best talent.

I just love what you painted. Love it, love it, love it! I'm too far away to bring my clothes over, though, but thanks for the invite!

PS - I have a cinder block wall in my basement laundry room. I put a clothes rod across the back and hung two wildly colorful quilts, reds, yellows, bright greens, and it cheers me up! I also put fragrance in my painted floor and when I mop the floor, I do so with scented laundry detergent to keep it fragrant. I have two fluorescent bulbs to keep it nice and bright. Again, I love your artistic creation, it is amazing.

PPS - I'm still discovering the joys in your painting - look at those adorable cats and dogs. You are a treasure.

What a great job! You also are very talented in both imagination and as an artist. Excellent!

Very cute! And did your stubborn husband enjoy your improvements as much as we have?

Fabulous! I love it. Great job and it was a very uplifting story and project.

I am so proud of you! I love the creativity of improving rather than whining. It made me smile! Thank you!

I just love this idea! I wish I had some walls in my laundry room that I could do this too! I think you did an awesome job ~ love the clothesline, the dog, the cats, the plants the whole thing! Just great!!

Just one word = FANTASTIC:-))

What a wonderful idea. You have amazing talent, love it!

Amazing - such talent! You have given us all lots to think about.

Too cute! A great way to make something ughhlee better :).

You are very talented and creative! I've painted a couple of floors and walls but it has been years! Your gorgeous work makes me want to get the paints out and start again!

That is the cutest garage I have ever seen! You are very talented and have great ideas! Adorable!

Love your project. Love, love, love your attitude!

Love your idea & your outlook on life.

Wow is about all I can say. What an artist! Everything is beautiful.

Your story about your garage and your artistic designs made me feel so happy. I want your garage.

You've definitely done a wonderful job transforming your garage walls.

I am in the process of painting my bedroom at the moment. It's a nice, cheery yellow. My husband will put up white bead board on three walls, but I will sponge the fourth wall and then, he will install white shelving on that wall so we have a way to get things up off the floor. I wouldn't attempt what you did though because I don't have your artistic ability.

Adding Painted Murals to Your Home's Decor, Laundry Room Mural
Adding Painted Murals to Your Home's Decor
Crafts Home DecorFebruary 9, 2011
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Body Glitter
Making Homemade Body Glitter
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
🎉
🎄