Store Oil Based Paint Brush During Painting

Because of the long wearing factor of oil based paint, I hardly ever use anything else but clean up is a little messy. So if I have to stop in the middle of my project, I just put my brush in a container of water, until I am ready to use it next time. The water won't bother the oil base paint and all I have to do is wipe off the water with a rag and I am ready to go right back to my project.

If I am going to be a couple of days or it is not handy to leave a can of water sitting around, I slip them into a tightly closed plastic bag and put them in the freezer. When I am ready to clean my brushes I make sure to get all of the paint out of the brush I possible can then let them sit in a can of mineral spirits for a couple of hours before cleaning them.

The final step is to rub a drop or two of dish soap into the dry brush to keep it soft. Just rinse out the soap when ready to use it again.

By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I'm "non-handy," so this seems a little technical to me - but it's a great tip. I think a lot of handy folk will love it!

Painting Tips and Tricks
Painting Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingApril 2, 2010
Wooden hairbrush on a black background.
Cleaning Hairbrushes
Yellow Oil Paint
Using Oil Based Paint
Paint Roller Putting Teal Paint on Wall
Cleaning Paint Rollers
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet