Using Oil Based Paint

Category Painting
Oil based paint is the preferred choice for some painting jobs. This guide contains tips about using oil based paint.

While painting, if you have stained your hands with oil paint, it is not easily washable with water and soap. Instead apply a little baby oil and wash, there will be no sign of paint and your hands will be smooth without any roughness of the paint.

By Krithika

Because of the long wearing factor of oil based paint, I hardly ever use anything else but clean up is a little messy. So if I have to stop in the middle of my project, I just put my brush in a container of water, until I am ready to use it next time. The water won't bother the oil base paint and all I have to do is wipe off the water with a rag and I am ready to go right back to my project.

If I am going to be a couple of days or it is not handy to leave a can of water sitting around, I slip them into a tightly closed plastic bag and put them in the freezer. When I am ready to clean my brushes I make sure to get all of the paint out of the brush I possible can then let them sit in a can of mineral spirits for a couple of hours before cleaning them.

The final step is to rub a drop or two of dish soap into the dry brush to keep it soft. Just rinse out the soap when ready to use it again.

By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I used an oil based concrete and floor paint on my slate tile. After 2 days, it is still tacky and you cannot step on it with shoes or they leave marks on the paint. What can I do?

By Rebecca from Dayton, OH

Answers

What you may have to do is attempt to get as much of the oil based paint off the shelves. Then sand off the enameled finish if that is possible to do. I think the reason the paint will not dry is oil base will not adhere to something with the texture of enamel. It may not work even after sanding the shelf. I would ask someone at paint store for a suggestion for paint that would adhere. Even if you get the oil base to dry it may peel off. Hope this was a little bit of help. My husband and I used to stripe parking lots. He didn't like to use oil base paint because of the drying time. Esp. if the humidity was too high.