Oil Based Paint Not Drying

I used an oil based concrete and floor paint on my slate tile. After 2 days, it is still tacky and you cannot step on it with shoes or they leave marks on the paint. What can I do?

By Rebecca from Dayton, OH

What you may have to do is attempt to get as much of the oil based paint off the shelves. Then sand off the enameled finish if that is possible to do. I think the reason the paint will not dry is oil base will not adhere to something with the texture of enamel. It may not work even after sanding the shelf. I would ask someone at paint store for a suggestion for paint that would adhere. Even if you get the oil base to dry it may peel off. Hope this was a little bit of help. My husband and I used to stripe parking lots. He didn't like to use oil base paint because of the drying time. Esp. if the humidity was too high.

I used oil based paint in a closet to cover enameled boards (shelves). After 4 days it is still sticky. Can it be fixed?

TootsieToo from Longview TX

Answers:

Oil Based Paint Not Drying

Did you prime the shelves before you painted? There could be several reasons why your paint isn't drying. If the previous surface wasn't sanded and primed, your paint may not have had anything to adhere to. You said the boards are enamel. That tells me the boards are not able to receive the oil paint.
The oil paint will dry, but another one of your problems is the fact that there isn't much if any ventilation in the closet so the drying process is much slower than it would be in a well ventilated area.

You can certainly remove the paint and start over which is what I would do.
If you decide to start over, sand off the enamel, prime then paint. You will be happier with the results.

Note: There is a drying additive you can mix in your paint, but this must be done "before" you paint. Check with your local paint store, Lowe's, or Home Depot.

Good luck! (04/08/2006)

By Anonymous