Toxicity of the Crown of Thorns Plant

My question is about the plant called crown of thorns. We have these plants in our garden and they look very colorful, but my neighbor said the thorns can cause cancer, meaning if you accidentally touched and were wounded by its thorns it can cause cancer. Is it true? I want to know if I can keep this plant in our backyard or need remove it? Please help me.

By LAR C.

Showing: Answers Sort

By Tapestry Lady 2 197 Flag

The plant is toxic and the sap can cause skin irritation, but I don't think it will give you cancer! Many popular garden plants are in fact toxic but people still grow them. If you have small children or pets who might be tempted to mess with the plants you might consider removing them, but it's really up to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Love these nosy neighbors with their old wives tales. I have one like that. Many plants are somewhat toxic and can cause skin irritation. It's the plant's defense against predators. A lot of these plants are common in people's yards and houses.

The Crown of Thorns plant has a religious name, and those tend to have stories or superstitions associated with them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By DeBushe 19 163 Flag

A web search came up with this site. Take a look at it. http://www.wanapluk.com/crown-of-thorns-plant/ Then tell your nosy neighbor that she needs to do some more research. It looks like it might make you itch or it might kill you, but nothing is said about Cancer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Crown of Thorns
Growing a Crown of Thorns
Previous
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 5, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Crown of Thorns
Growing a Crown of Thorns
Installing Crown Molding, Crown Molding Ready to be Installed
Installing Crown Molding
Child's Crown
Making a Child's Crown
Crown Royal Bag Crafts
Crafts Using Crown Royal Bags
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:33:57 PM on 10.0.1.203 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings