Growing a Crown of Thorns

This slow growing succulent, is characterized by thorny woody stems and dainty flowers. It can be grown as a houseplant or an outdoor shrub. This is a page about growing a crown of thorns.

I have a large crown of thorns. It's about 3 years old and in a large pot. I know from reading that I've over watered it. The leaves are turning yellow. Is there anything I can do to save it?

Answers

A warmer place with sun,less water. It doesn't like drafty areas!

Only water when dry and place in a sunny window.

You can try to remove the soil in the pot and change out the soil to start with. When this is done find a nice sunny window the plant can sit by and only water it once a week or when the soil is very dry.

You can try laying plastic and newspaper down on the most even side of the plant and gently tilt the pot to that side.

This will help but If you can, gently remove the pot to expose the soil so the soil can dry. You may be able to save it or at least some parts of it.
Leave it laying on the side for several days as continuous moving may cause shock and do more harm.

Read the information on caring for this plant as it is not as some people think.

www.houseplant411.com/.../crown-of-thorns-plant-how-to-grow...

If you do not already have this item I highly recommend it for using with indoor and outdoor patted plants. All large stores sell these in their garden section.

www.amazon.com/.../B07BR52P26?tag=thrif06-20 (Affiliate Link)

My question is about the plant called crown of thorns. We have these plants in our garden and they look very colorful, but my neighbor said the thorns can cause cancer, meaning if you accidentally touched and were wounded by its thorns it can cause cancer. Is it true? I want to know if I can keep this plant in our backyard or need remove it? Please help me.

By LAR C.

Answers

The plant is toxic and the sap can cause skin irritation, but I don't think it will give you cancer! Many popular garden plants are in fact toxic but people still grow them. If you have small children or pets who might be tempted to mess with the plants you might consider removing them, but it's really up to you.

Love these nosy neighbors with their old wives tales. I have one like that. Many plants are somewhat toxic and can cause skin irritation. It's the plant's defense against predators. A lot of these plants are common in people's yards and houses.

The Crown of Thorns plant has a religious name, and those tend to have stories or superstitions associated with them.

A web search came up with this site. Take a look at it. www.wanapluk.com/.../ Then tell your nosy neighbor that she needs to do some more research. It looks like it might make you itch or it might kill you, but nothing is said about Cancer.

My crown of thorns has black spots on the leaves. What seems to be the problem? Thank you.

By Sharon

Answers

Can crown of thorn cause cancer?

My crown of thorns plant is in the ground with full sun. In the past few days at least one fourth of the leaves have turned yellow with black spots.

Can you say why or what happened?

By lin from Stuart, FL

Answers

Anonymous

Could be a fungus. Keep the leaves as dry as possible. The plant should be kept on the dry side, so don't water it like your grass.

I am from India. Can the crown of thorns plant cause cancer? Now a days the news spreads here. Is it true or not?

By anish_j_kings

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 28, 2013
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-29 12:59:23 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️