Craft Uses for Old Scarves

Scarves go in and out of fashion, use your scarves to make a delightful craft. This is a guide about craft uses for old scarves.

July 5, 2013 Flag

Sew cute scarf decor from old scarves or $1 store scarves. I had some felt laying around and an old scarf and decided to make a cute shelf sitter for my daughter's new baby room. Her theme is "owls". This took hardly any time and it looks great.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 15, 2008 Flag

Give your old throw pillows a new look using old scarves. You can do this in less than five minutes and there's no sewing required. If you don't own any scarves, shop at yard sales or secondhand stores for pretty scarves under a dollar.

Approximate Time: less than 5 minutes

Instructions:

1. Lay scarf on table or floor, print side down.
  2. Position the pillow so that its corners lie in between the corners of the scarf. When properly aligned, the pillow should form a diamond shape on the scarf.
  3. Take two opposite corners of the scarf, tie around the pillow and knot. Take the remaining two corners of the scarf and do the same to form a second knot. Simple, yet elegant.

By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

November 29, 2006 Flag
Use an old scarf for a scarecrow or a snow man!

In the Garden

I don't know of any craft ideas but they can be used to tie tomato vines to the cages to keep the plants from bending over, keeping the plants growing upright.

By badwater

Accessories

Dresser scarves or a pretty runner under candles for a romantic type dinner. You could also make some wonderful throw pillows for sofa or bed. How about a handbag? You can twist and wrap scarves for interesting looks on your head. They can be used for accessories around the neck with cool pins, like in the 60's & 70's. Scarves are all the rage again as dressing accessories.

By sajoro

Silky Scarves

If you are saying silky scarves- why not use them as gift sachet bags? Cut, hem, (Or iron-fuse tape 3 sides, fill with scented petals, stitch up fourth side, add a tiny bow. OR.. Fold them to overlap in triangles to make a special valance for a window treatment.

Make (or buy in a thrift store or lawn sale) frame(s) and make mat(s). Staple the scarf to a piece of poster board to keep the material taut- slide behind the mat...instant wall art!

Braid the scarves into one-of-a-kind drapery tie backs.

Line a plain wooden box from a craft store after you have stained or painted it, to be used for jewelry, recipes, or whatever comes to mind, depending on the size of the scarf, the box, and your imagination. Just use pinking scissors, spray adhesive, and a ruler.

Get a piece of plexiglass and place the scarf under it for a changeable dressertop, desk blotter or table centerpiece.

You also could braid them into an interesting wreath if all else fails.

By Catie

Woolly Scarves

If you mean woolly scarves, you could cut them up to use as dusters, or as stuffing for toys, teddies etc. If all else fails, just give them to charity.

By TeraDaisySpawn

Throw Pillows

You could also use them as throw pillow covers. Just sew them up and fill with stuffing and close up ends...enjoy

By grammar

Window Treatment Accents

I've seen off white long drapery with tab type tops which fit through round curtain hangers with colored scarves fitted through them in a decorative way to liven up a room with neutral colors. This particular color of the scarves was dark lavender. I honestly thought a decorator had designed the room. Just my daughter's friend's immagination at work. LOVELY TO THE HILT. I WAS SO IMPRESSED.

By

Curtains

I sewed mine together to make a quilt like curtain.

By cinthya

Blanket

Either wolly or silky I think it would be neat to weave them (if you have many) and have a heavy or light weight blanket!

By wyoKrista

Plate Covers

You can make plate covers; sew buttons on the corners; drape over plates filled with food to keep warm and to keep flies away! Good for outdoor entertaining. You can also use old scarves as dresser scarves or use as table runners or on the center of the table for a centerpiece.

By WandaJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

March 14, 2010 Flag

I have a box of silk scarves I used to wear with suits when I was working. Are there any ideas on how I can "repurpose" them? Perhaps craft usages.

By Geri from Orlando, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm not sure what your background is, but some people use scarves during praise and worship. I'm not sure exactly how you would go about it (if you were to go this route that is). I think you basically need a hot-glue gun, a wooden circular rod, and you glue the scarf on the rod by placing a line of hot glue and attaching the scarf. You may be able to find better information as to how to do this. I just speculate that this is how to do so. The scarves are then waved in the air during praise and worship. It is really beautiful to see. :)

I still use some of mine. When it's cold weather, I put one around my neck. It helps keep wind out. I go walking every day, even when it's cold and windy. They really help, you might save some for your grand kids. Time flies so fast! Good luck.

Silk scarves can be made in to a wonderful hair ornaments like flowers, hair bows or even a scrunchie or silk "hat" or turban. The flowers are super easy to make. Scarves can also be tied around your waist or made into a halter to tube top. Se below for even more ideas:

Directions to make a Silk Rose:

*these look best when made in a solid color or a tiny pattern

Simply fold the scarf in half (if you like, you can iron a crisp fold line) & cut this folded section off of the scarf so the folded piece now measures about 2 or 3 inches wide. Next, take a needle & thread & along the raw edge sew a simple "in & out" running stitch along the bottom so you can easily pull on the thread to gather -up the fabric... Now pull in the thread to gather the raw edge of the fabric then simply roll up the gathered edge like you would a jelly roll while stitching the bottom (the gathered edge) to itself so it stays put. Now simply sew or glue on a pin back, barrette or small hair clip & you can wear this silk rose in your hair or as a brooch. I like to pin a black rose to a black fabric headband. It looks nice on me (when I'm wearing a simply black outfit) even though I am in my mid 50's.

* You can use the extra fabric left-over from making the flower to make a matching headband by just folding the fabric over so you can't see the the raw edges because they are on the bottom, then tying it behind & under your hair in the back of your neck. Now clip the flower to the head band.

Making Fabric Flowers:

http://www.goog  f8bc9ba0718e9555

Some other ideas:

You can also make a fabric basket out of scarves or use them as a fancy way to wrap a special present, or make lavender-filled sachets. You can also use old scarves to wrap around clothes hangers to protect your special garments. You can even cut the scarves into strips then knit or crochet another scarf with the strips! Scarves make wonderful linings for handmade purses. Never throw them away, if you place knots at the ends, they even make great cat or dog toys.

Different Ways to Wear a Head Scarf: (scarves aren't just for your neck)

* click on the photo for directions

http://www.tzni  cgi-bin/tying.pl

Square Scarves as trendy Hair Pieces:

http://www.scar  trendy-hair.html

--->You Tube:

10 ways to wear scarf:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iunk1gN1h8

5 ways to tie scarf:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xch4ADSlK4

Ssarf gift wrapping how to:

http://weheartt  f-gift-wrapping/

If some of them have pretty or interesting prints on them you could get a piece of wood the appropriate size and use a piece of quilt batting the appropriate size, then lay the scarf face side down, put the quilt batting on top of that, then place the wood on top of those items. Fold one edge over the wood and use a staple gun to fasten it. Then go to the opposite side, and turn that edge over, making sure you have it pulled really tight, continue doing that until you have all four sides fastened. Then apply a hanger of some kind to the back side and you have a piece of art for your walls.

You could sew the scarves together to make a large scarf like a shawl. Or you could tie them around the band of a hat to decorate it. But actually scarves are terribly fashionable these days- I wear them to spiff up my t-shirts or sweat shirts! See if you can utilize them in your wardrobe. It's amazing how pulled together you can look wearing a scarf.

Google fabric flower crafts and see what comes up. I know I've seen satin and silk flowers and cotton quilted flowers. They'd be good on a hat or as headbands or ? I use silk scarves a lot (the long kind of skinny ones) to drape around the neck of a jacket or over shirt to fancy it up and draw attention from my lack of waistline!

You could weave them in large canvas like a rug for a purse. Braid them for a belt or braid enough then sew them together for another bag. Use a braided length for a handle on a bag or fabric bowl. Brighten up a lamp shade by draping several over an existing lamp shade, the light coming through would be wonderful. Good luck. Remember fashion never "dyes" it just takes a rest for a term.

August 18, 2006 Flag

I am looking for the directions to tying a scarf into a purse. I saw this on Martha Stewart's show, but cannot find them on her website. If anyone can tell me where to find them please let me know.

Julie from Naples, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I remembered this from earlier this summer. It was actually a feature on the Martha Show about her new magazine called Blueprint that came out in May (2006). I don't know why it isn't on the website! Anyway, the best I could do was scan the picture in from the article and type in the directions below. Hope it helps!

Mary

Use a 32 inch square scarf or 45 inch square tablecloth

1. Lay the scarf facedown. Pull one of the corners through one hand to create a tail about one-third the length of the side; tie a knot.

2. Repeat the same tail-knotting on the scarf's other three corners.

3. For handles, tie the upper two tails together in a square knot (right over left, left over right); repeat with the lower two tails.

I read the directions, and can't get it in my mind.. I looked for the picture, and couldn't find any thing. Maybe you could send it to me.. thanks

Thank you kddid and mef1957. I found the instructions at: http://www.mart  p;site=blueprint

Could not have done it without you!!

Julie from Naples FL

January 25, 2012 Flag

I have tons of scarves, all shapes and sizes. I will never use them. What can I do with them?

By DBS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What about using them to cover pillows to make decorative pillows for sofas and/or beds?

Crafts Recycled Crafts ClothingMarch 21, 2012
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Green Scarf
Organizing Scarves
Uses for Old Cameras, old camera
Uses for Old Cameras
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:14:55 AM on 10.0.0.82 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.