Browsing: Craft Uses for Old Scarves

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Craft Uses for Old Scarves

Scarves go in and out of fashion, use your scarves to make a delightful craft. This is a guide about craft uses for old scarves.

Pillows covered with scarves.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 5, 2013 Flag

Sew cute scarf decor from old scarves or $1 store scarves. I had some felt laying around and an old scarf and decided to make a cute shelf sitter for my daughter's new baby room. Her theme is "owls". This took hardly any time and it looks great.

Stuffed scarf owl.Scarf.

April 15, 2008 Flag

Pillows covered with scarves.Give your old throw pillows a new look using old scarves. You can do this in less than five minutes and there's no sewing required. If you don't own any scarves, shop at yard sales or secondhand stores for pretty scarves under a dollar.

Approximate Time: less than 5 minutes

Instructions:

1. Lay scarf on table or floor, print side down.
  2. Position the pillow so that its corners lie in between the corners of the scarf. When properly aligned, the pillow should form a diamond shape on the scarf.
  3. Take two opposite corners of the scarf, tie around the pillow and knot. Take the remaining two corners of the scarf and do the same to form a second knot. Simple, yet elegant.

By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

March 14, 2010 Flag

I have a box of silk scarves I used to wear with suits when I was working. Are there any ideas on how I can "repurpose" them? Perhaps craft usages.

By Geri from Orlando, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could sew the scarves together to make a large scarf like a shawl. Or you could tie them around the band of a hat to decorate it. But actually scarves are terribly fashionable these days- I wear them to spiff up my t-shirts or sweat shirts! See if you can utilize them in your wardrobe. It's amazing how pulled together you can look wearing a scarf.

Google fabric flower crafts and see what comes up. I know I've seen satin and silk flowers and cotton quilted flowers. They'd be good on a hat or as headbands or ? I use silk scarves a lot (the long kind of skinny ones) to drape around the neck of a jacket or over shirt to fancy it up and draw attention from my lack of waistline!

You could weave them in large canvas like a rug for a purse. Braid them for a belt or braid enough then sew them together for another bag. Use a braided length for a handle on a bag or fabric bowl. Brighten up a lamp shade by draping several over an existing lamp shade, the light coming through would be wonderful. Good luck. Remember fashion never "dyes" it just takes a rest for a term.

I've seen them tied about hardware on nice purses.

Read More Answers...

August 18, 2006 Flag

I am looking for the directions to tying a scarf into a purse. I saw this on Martha Stewart's show, but cannot find them on her website. If anyone can tell me where to find them please let me know.

Julie from Naples, FL

I remembered this from earlier this summer. It was actually a feature on the Martha Show about her new magazine called Blueprint that came out in May (2006). I don't know why it isn't on the website! Anyway, the best I could do was scan the picture in from the article and type in the directions below. Hope it helps!

Mary

Use a 32 inch square scarf or 45 inch square tablecloth

1. Lay the scarf facedown. Pull one of the corners through one hand to create a tail about one-third the length of the side; tie a knot.

2. Repeat the same tail-knotting on the scarf's other three corners.

3. For handles, tie the upper two tails together in a square knot (right over left, left over right); repeat with the lower two tails.

I read the directions, and can't get it in my mind.. I looked for the picture, and couldn't find any thing. Maybe you could send it to me.. thanks

Thank you kddid and mef1957. I found the instructions at: http://www.marthastewart.com/page.j ... id=channel3730328&site=blueprint

Could not have done it without you!!

Julie from Naples FL

January 25, 2012 Flag

I have tons of scarves, all shapes and sizes. I will never use them. What can I do with them?

By DBS

What about using them to cover pillows to make decorative pillows for sofas and/or beds?

November 29, 2006 Flag

Here are some craft ideas using old scarfs.

Use an old scarf for a scarecrow or a snow man!

Crafts Recycled Crafts ClothingMarch 21, 2012
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Green Scarf
Organizing Scarves
Uses for Old Cameras, old camera
Uses for Old Cameras
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 10:59:34 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.