Craft Uses for Old Scarves

Category Clothing
Pillows covered with scarves.
Scarves go in and out of fashion, use your scarves to make a delightful craft. This is a guide about craft uses for old scarves.

Sew cute scarf decor from old scarves or $1 store scarves. I had some felt laying around and an old scarf and decided to make a cute shelf sitter for my daughter's new baby room. Her theme is "owls". This took hardly any time and it looks great.

Use an old scarf for a scarecrow or a snow man!

In the Garden

I don't know of any craft ideas but they can be used to tie tomato vines to the cages to keep the plants from bending over, keeping the plants growing upright.

By badwater

Accessories

Dresser scarves or a pretty runner under candles for a romantic type dinner. You could also make some wonderful throw pillows for sofa or bed. How about a handbag? You can twist and wrap scarves for interesting looks on your head. They can be used for accessories around the neck with cool pins, like in the 60's & 70's. Scarves are all the rage again as dressing accessories.

By sajoro

Silky Scarves

If you are saying silky scarves- why not use them as gift sachet bags? Cut, hem, (Or iron-fuse tape 3 sides, fill with scented petals, stitch up fourth side, add a tiny bow. OR.. Fold them to overlap in triangles to make a special valance for a window treatment.

Make (or buy in a thrift store or lawn sale) frame(s) and make mat(s). Staple the scarf to a piece of poster board to keep the material taut- slide behind the mat...instant wall art!

Braid the scarves into one-of-a-kind drapery tie backs.

Line a plain wooden box from a craft store after you have stained or painted it, to be used for jewelry, recipes, or whatever comes to mind, depending on the size of the scarf, the box, and your imagination. Just use pinking scissors, spray adhesive, and a ruler.

Get a piece of plexiglass and place the scarf under it for a changeable dressertop, desk blotter or table centerpiece.

You also could braid them into an interesting wreath if all else fails.

By Catie

Woolly Scarves

If you mean woolly scarves, you could cut them up to use as dusters, or as stuffing for toys, teddies etc. If all else fails, just give them to charity.

By TeraDaisySpawn

Throw Pillows

You could also use them as throw pillow covers. Just sew them up and fill with stuffing and close up ends...enjoy

By grammar

Window Treatment Accents

I've seen off white long drapery with tab type tops which fit through round curtain hangers with colored scarves fitted through them in a decorative way to liven up a room with neutral colors. This particular color of the scarves was dark lavender. I honestly thought a decorator had designed the room. Just my daughter's friend's immagination at work. LOVELY TO THE HILT. I WAS SO IMPRESSED.

By

Curtains

I sewed mine together to make a quilt like curtain.

By cinthya

Blanket

Either wolly or silky I think it would be neat to weave them (if you have many) and have a heavy or light weight blanket!

By wyoKrista

Plate Covers

You can make plate covers; sew buttons on the corners; drape over plates filled with food to keep warm and to keep flies away! Good for outdoor entertaining. You can also use old scarves as dresser scarves or use as table runners or on the center of the table for a centerpiece.

By WandaJo

I have tons of scarves, all shapes and sizes. I will never use them. What can I do with them?

By DBS

Answers

What about using them to cover pillows to make decorative pillows for sofas and/or beds?

You can cut them in 8x8 squares then cut 8x8 squares of plain cotton add 2 to spoon of vinegar cover eggs with one square of the scarf and one cotton square boil the covered eggs with water for ten minutes cool unwrap and you have decorative eggs for easter

put over lamps for ambience, tie over curtains rods for curtain look. really pretty.

I am looking for the directions to tying a scarf into a purse. I saw this on Martha Stewart's show, but cannot find them on her website. If anyone can tell me where to find them please let me know.

Julie from Naples, FL

I remembered this from earlier this summer. It was actually a feature on the Martha Show about her new magazine called Blueprint that came out in May (2006). I don't know why it isn't on the website! Anyway, the best I could do was scan the picture in from the article and type in the directions below. Hope it helps!

Mary

Use a 32 inch square scarf or 45 inch square tablecloth

1. Lay the scarf facedown. Pull one of the corners through one hand to create a tail about one-third the length of the side; tie a knot.

2. Repeat the same tail-knotting on the scarf's other three corners.

3. For handles, tie the upper two tails together in a square knot (right over left, left over right); repeat with the lower two tails.

I read the directions, and can't get it in my mind.. I looked for the picture, and couldn't find any thing. Maybe you could send it to me.. thanks

Thank you kddid and mef1957. I found the instructions at: http://www.mart  p;site=blueprint

Could not have done it without you!!

Julie from Naples FL