WindowsHome Improvement

Frosty Contact Paper

Looking for frosty contact paper to cover a window without blocking the light. I have used it before, it's not just plain frosted, it had a pattern.

Ana from Florida

I went nuts looking for this too. I finally found some in a clearance bin. Try contacting the people who make this product. I think it might be discontinued.

Have you considered etching?

If you can't find the contact paper a cheap solution is to disolve 1 T. epsom salts in 1 cup beer and either paint or daub right onto the glass. This frosts your window, lets light in, keeps prying eyes out, and washes right off. Good luck!

I don't think the frosty contact paper is discontinued, but it seems to be very difficult to find in a brick and mortar retail store. I found mine recently at a large, independently owned mom and pop hardware store, but I have also seen them recently in catalogs like Harriet Carter and Walter Drake, etc. Also, contact paper has a website which used to detail the available patterns.

Tori

It is sold in the mail-order magazines that are sent to everyone. Carol something or other. I can't think of the name but I get one at least once a month. Check your junk mail.

Have been searching for this paper also. Ace Hardware stores has this item listed as one they carry, but all do not have it.

Aubuchon Hardware in MA, carries it. 1-800-282-4393, Customer Service. $3.29 for each 9 foot roll. or order from their web site, http://www.aubuchonhardware.com

Try Home Depot.

Over the years the raised pattern has changed from

a victorian etch to a more contemporary pattern,

The stuff you're looking for (I think) is:

Decora / Pliant Corporation Model # 9903

It looks like Con-Tact Brand may no longer be around! Decora Ind. filed for bankrupcy in 2000, and Pliant Corporation bought their assets in 2002. I just alled Pliant and they said they sold it. Con-Tact used to be in North Ridgeville, and Medina Ohio area. Pliant gave me a phone number of 440-353-6450 which rings rapid busy. The old web site of www.ContactBrand.com seems to be dead too. You can still see some cached pages at Google. So it looks like Aubuchon Hardware is the best source while it lasts! http://www.aubuchonhardware.com

I just found some at Home depot this weekend. Only a little more than $5. It worked great too!

I bought some of this years ago from a bulk roll at my local hardware store. Recently, I needed some more and went back to the same store. Now it is in an individual, 9-ft roll. But I discovered that the pattern is horrible. It is no longer the beautiful prism looking pattern. It does have the image of the prisms, but the texture is such that it makes the window look foggy. Totally useless for me. The original stuff I bought was made by Rubbermaid. This latest stuff was made by Pliant Solutions Corp. of North Ridgeville, Ohio. I called them today only to be told that they sold that brand two years ago to Kittrich Corporation (www.kittrich.com). They call it Magic Cover in the No. 500 Frosted Glass pattern. It is listed in the Adhesive category on their web site. I have no idea what theirs looks like. I may just have to stop in at some small town hardware stores on my upcomming road trip and see if anyone has some of the old Rubbermaid Con-Tact product. Pliant Solutions also used the Con-Tact trade mark but I'm not sure what trade mark Kittrich is selling it under. How can such a neat product be so much trouble to find?

I used some craft paint by Gallery Glass called "Window Etch". The color is called white but it looks like watered-down white. I found it in the craft department at Wal Mart for around $2.00. I used a coarse textured sponge to sponge it on the glass. It looks like etched glass, the light comes through but you cannot see through it. It can be removed from the glass with a single edged razor blade if you ever want to remove it. It works great for me. It was cheap and quick and looks fine.

I tried the epsom salt and beer. Not much privacy and although the design was nice, it was also a messy look.

I order some from Carol Wrights Catalog

1-800-345-2118

item 48488 frosted

item 48462 stained glass - I have that one

item 48470 Lace flower

8.99 3yds

http://www.glassdecorandmore.com/

I am looking everywhere for this stuff too. I also had saved a snippet of Con-Tact Rubbermaid Frosty Privacy Window Covering. Thanks! poster for the aubuchonhardware reference!

http://housewar … aper-101547.aspx -rane

I saw very nice selection of frosty paper here: http://www.inte … Window-Film.html

Many gorgeous frosted patterns:

Frosted Contact Paper

http://www.inte … Window-Film.html

I have been wanting to do my bathroom window with frosted contact paper. I did my grandmothers years ago with it, but was having a hard time finding it now. I took the advice of another person on here and tried the Gallery Glass window etch and WOW it works great! and so much easier! You can make any sort of pattern with it. I bought the etch from Hobby Lobby and also purchased an assortment pack of brushes and sponges. All in all my new window cost my 6 bucks! So much cheaper than the contact paper I have seen online!