FishPets

How long does it take for the baby goldfish to grow into full grown fish?

Category Fish

I have two goldfish who laid eggs and 1 of them hatched. How long does it take for the baby goldfish to grow into full grown? I already put the older fish into a new tank but I want to know how long it will be.

Sydney from CA

One source I read said they grow about an inch a year.

I wouldnt put baby fish into a tank with mature fish until they are almost the size of the larger fish. Be sure to provide a place for the little ones to hide. Some type of plant ..real or plastic, will do the trick. If you introduce them too early, the mature fish will eat the younger ones.

Gold fish are actually carp. They'll grow to about 18inches long.. Fish are kept smaller by keeping them in a smaller tank. I've seen goldfish in a pond and they're quite beautiful to behold.. (smile) But you'd be surprised at how large they can get! I dont believe they can over winter in cold climates. I"m not sure about that... so I wouldnt put them outside until you made sure.

I have an outdoor small pond. I live in MI. My goldfish winter over in the pond. I have about a dozen babies from last year and the adult pair just laid eggs. I have just the male and female fantails. I have had no problems. The pond freezes, but this doesn't seem to bother them. The babies are swimming and eating and are about 1 1/2" long. They eat the algea and whatever nature provides. I do not feed them often.

I know my niece won a goldfish at a carnival one year when she was 5 yrs old. She is now 20 and the fish is still alive. 1 fish 1 big fishbowl and feed it 3 xs a week. amazing the fish is still alive.