What Can I Feed a Goldfish Other Than Fish Food?

Category Fish
This is a guide about what can I feed a goldfish other than fish food? Regular goldfish food is best for a fish in a bowl or tank.

I need this answer ASAP. I just won a goldfish at a carnival today and I don't know what to feed it. Should I feed it today? I bought some Oreo cookies; my friend fed them to her goldfish for a long time and it was successful. I want to cut them up into very small pieces. Is it safe and can I? That is my main question. Thank you.

By lala002

Answers

Best Answer

You don't need to feed a goldfish anything but goldfish food. It is a goldfish. It will be perfectly healthy with just this. You shouldn't add anything else. I had fish for years and they were happy and healthy with just regular fish food.

Best Answer

In an emergency situation but not long term, we have fed ours plain bread. Crumble it up in very small pieces and don't overdo it! Short term emergency use only.

Best Answer

In addition to fish food, goldfish also like worms, peas and slices of zucchini. Only feed them as much as they can eat in five minutes. Then remove any other food.

You can probably find a small aquarium at a thrift shop. Change 1/3 of the water once a week and be sure to use a dechlorinator (at pet stores or the supermarket) in order to not injure the fish.

I have kept goldfish for years and used to have a goldfish pond. I had a lot of fish and would occasionally give them pieces of pancake (no syrup) but only as much as they would eat in five minutes.

Feeding them Oreos is in no way acceptable. You can leave the zucchini slices in the water as they will only be able to eat a little at a time. Also add a pinch of salt when you change the water. Good luck.

I am getting a goldfish tomorrow and I really don't know what to feed it. Could you please tell me something that doesn't cost a lot of money and is not hard to find.

Thank you.

Answers

Go to the pet store and get specially formulated food for goldfish

Pet stores or Walmart should carry reasonably priced boxed or jars of food formulated for your fish. No need to by the most expensive. Check the per ounce price when comparing sizes.

Never feed them people food like bread, or dog or cat food, as it can be deadly.

My last goldfish lived for almost 5 years, which was amazing to me. I followed the feeding directions on the box exactly (I was careful not to overfeed) and kept his bowl immaculate. Good luck with your new fin friend!

Go to a pet shop and ask a knowledgeable person who actually feeds the fish what they would recommend to feed the Goldfish.

You will find many good goldfish foods at a pet store. The secret is not to feed too much. When your fish leaves food in the bowl after a couple minutes of feeding, you have probably fed too much.

When it is time to change the water (I used to change mine weekly) put the water you will use into a bowl and leave it out on the counter overnight. That allows the chlorine to leave the water, and the temperature of the old and new water to be the same. Good luck!

you pretty much can't get away from needing to buy goldfish food, otherwise it will die due to taxing its digestive system

fish food is not expensive at all and i would say pretty accessible in any grocery store, even

www.chewy.com/.../126068 here yuo see something that will last at least 2 weeks and costs less than $2

I have dried dog pellets food can I crush some to feed my gold fish

Answers

I would feed a fish the formulated for it. Save dog food for a dog.

Please don't feed goldfish anything other than food specifically designed for them. They are not able to process beef, chicken, gluten or most ingredients in dog food.

This article has a lot of good info on how to keep your swimming friends healthy!

puregoldfish.com/.../

I would recommend ONLY feeding you Gold Fish -------fish food.

No. They cant digest it.