Permanent Marker on Vinyl Siding

How can I clean permanent marker off vinyl siding on a mobile home?

Vee from Carencro, LA

Best Answer

You can try getting a little bottle of enamel thinner made by "Testors". I used to by it at a hobby store. It comes in little 1/4 ounce glass bottles. During the Xmas holiday I work at the mall personalizing ornaments and we use permanent marker on resin ornaments and the "only" thing that would remove the permanent maker is the enamel thinner..."not" alcohol.. and "not" nail polish remover. The thinner should work :)

Kim

Tried paint thinner and it's didn't budge

Best Answer

Isopropyl alcohol should do it. Always works for me.

Best Answer

Hi, I tried several suggestions posted here to remove permanent marker from my vinyl siding (put on courtesy of neighborhood hoodlums). The Isopropyl alcohol did nothing at all. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser helped but would take a long time and a lot of effort. Nail polish remover took it right off - easy - no work required. I recommend nail polish remover.

Anonymous

Thanks for this. I hv not had to remove permanent marker from anything else BUT strong acetone polish remover got the marker OFF vinyl cupboards beautifully.

For me, nail polish remover does not work on furniture vinyl like office chairs.

Acetone worked immediately!

Best Answer

Stop stop STOP. Using alcohol and abrasives are the absolute WORST way to remove permanent marker from vinyl. This bad advice needs to be stamped out all over the internet.

A far superior way: 1. Get a dry-erase marker and write over the permanent marker. 2: Get a damp cloth. 3: Wipe it away. 4: Repeat as needed.

Anonymous

That won't work for specific things. If you draw dry erase marker on something that's been there a long time it won't help AT ALL it will LITERALLY LEAVE MORE MARKS

F.U. I just totally ruined my vintage '50s vinyl chair! I'd used a magic eraser and googone because goof off dissolves thy vinyl. I had the permanent marker faded, alcohol did nothing, but the dry eraser just darkened it despite all my scrubbing, and is now twice as noticeable as before.

DO NOT USE DRY ERASE MARKER!!#

Just tried this, didn't work.

You have to keep in mind the fact that different markers use different types of inks. You may have to try several different methods to find one that will work on the type of ink causing the stain. The best way is to test small areas with various types of remover to see which one gets the best result. Then use that method to remove that particular type of ink.

WD-40?

Fingernail polish remover should work, but do a test patch first. You can also try a product called Awesome sold at Dollar Tree stores. It took 3 big blobs of purple Sharpie marker out of my tan microsuede couch!

What worked for me was lock de-icer. Very nice. No effort at all. Bill in Canada.

Have a vinyl doll which has been "made " up with 2 red edding permanent marker pens on the face. How do I remove this, has seeped into the skin of the doll

I found jet black permanent marker on our clay colored vinyl siding. Tried everything listed starting with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol lightened it but not much. I then tried fingernail polish remover and mineral spirits but neither of them did anything.

Finally I used Bar Keepers Friend and a stiff brush. It took a lot of rubbing/scrubbing and it continued to lighten until it is now barely visible. No damage to the siding either.

I don't know how long the marks had been there before I found them. Perhaps if they had been "fresh" any of the above would have worked.

Good luck!

My husband just removed two permanent black marker marks using rubbing alcohol.