Please help! I have some dollar bills that smell of mold. Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell? If you put this money in with other money, the smell transfers. Thanks so much for your help.
I think the best thing to do is to wash them. Put them in a bowl with a little laundry detergent and a tiny bit of bleach. Swish them around for a while, then rinse them well. That should remove the moldy smell, then dry them by hanging on a line or spreading them on a towel.
I wouldn't worry about removing the moldy smell at all. You can just exchange the bills at the bank. I work at a bank, and we've had people bring in money in all kinds of condition! The bank will just send it back to the Federal Reserve to be destroyed.
Theresa in California
Either spend it, thereby passing it on, or take it to a bank and trade it for non-smelly money.
Wash them with water, then iron them. They will be very stiff and almost like new!
try dampening the dollar bill with a little bit of water, probably like a mist spray bottle if available. then microwave the damp dollar for, i dunno, 30 seconds to a minute? i'm just making a guess here. try it on one dollar first and see how it turns out.
Susan, that sounds like money laundering to me
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!