Moldy Smelling Dollar Bills

Please help! I have some dollar bills that smell of mold. Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell? If you put this money in with other money, the smell transfers. Thanks so much for your help.

By Barbara

I think the best thing to do is to wash them. Put them in a bowl with a little laundry detergent and a tiny bit of bleach. Swish them around for a while, then rinse them well. That should remove the moldy smell, then dry them by hanging on a line or spreading them on a towel.

- Susan

Thank you Susan

Thank you Susan

I wouldn't worry about removing the moldy smell at all. You can just exchange the bills at the bank. I work at a bank, and we've had people bring in money in all kinds of condition! The bank will just send it back to the Federal Reserve to be destroyed.

Theresa in California

thats not true my bank refused to accept my moldy smelly money and now I m stuck with it

Either spend it, thereby passing it on, or take it to a bank and trade it for non-smelly money.

Syd

Wash them with water, then iron them. They will be very stiff and almost like new!

try dampening the dollar bill with a little bit of water, probably like a mist spray bottle if available. then microwave the damp dollar for, i dunno, 30 seconds to a minute? i'm just making a guess here. try it on one dollar first and see how it turns out.

Susan, that sounds like money laundering to me

Hmmmm : )

Susan

paper money clothes pinned on line to dry
Cleaning Moldy Smelling Dollar Bills
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousOctober 21, 2003
Folders labled Bills
Organizing Your Bills
A woman paying her bills online.
Paying Bills Online
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 6:28:42 AM on 10.0.2.158 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.