Burn Mark on Countertop

How do I remove a burn mark from a hot pan on a Formica countertop?

By Chris from Wilmington, NC

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

It is almost impossible to repair an area of a formica countertop so it will blend in. You are better off to replace or paint it. Here are instructions for painting.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

The link below is for painting laminate countertops. I am including it because it tells how to sponge paint a countertop, so if you want, you could use the proper formica paint and primer, but maybe use a sponge and apply different colors of paint.

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ho ... int-a-laminate-countertop/index.html

I recently put a pyrex dish on my churches formica countertop. I sanded the bunt area and mixed matching Epozy glue and acrylic paints since it was a swirled pattern. I built these layers up slowly about 4-5 for the paint to reach the same indention height as the burn. Each coating I applied just to the burnt area wiping the area around it with a wash rag. As it dried I rubbed across the burn carefully to smooth out the paint. After 4-5 layers or when it looked right I let it dry overnight. If there were any raised areas I would scrape off with a putty knife carefully. In the morning I sealed it with a sealer and it is completely unnoticable!

Answer

I burned a ring in my white laminate countertop so I decided to sand it out and simply put polyurethane on it thinking it would turn out like the rest of the counter. It did not, the polyurethane dried brownish yellow. Yuk! I spent all day getting that off with a razor blade. Now my countertop looks awful. What can I do? I want to make it shine again. I really don't need anything fancy (like the granite top look alike) just simple, clean, and shiny. Can you help?

By Stacy from Plano, TX

Burn Mark on Countertop

I think the best solution is to have the counter top replaced. Look in the yellow pages for someone that does laminated counter tops. All they would do is strip off the thin laminate, sand off the old glue and replace the old laminate. It is a easy job rather than spend a lot of labor trying to restore your current laminate which may prove in the long run to be impossible. The counter top guys will give you an estimate. (07/13/2010)

By foxrun41

Burn Mark on Countertop

Did you know you can paint laminated countertops? When I moved into my condo the countertop was beige with brown spots. I painted my kitchen blue and white and I painted the countertop with rustoleum (this is a brand name paint) I mixed a marine blue and white and it turned out beautifully. I kept a small jar of the mixed paint for touchup. I only had to touch it up once in 10 years. (07/13/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I repair or hide burnt/melted Formica on kitchen countertops? I set down a burnt pot on the Formica countertop and it burned and partially melted in some spots the Formica layer. Not very smart of me, I know.

Are there any fixes to conceal the burnt spots besides replacing the Formica countertop? I've attached a picture. The black spots are burnt and melted plastic.

By stam19 from San Diego, CA

Burn Mark on Countertop

I really don't think there is much you can do about it but to paint it. If you follow the directions on this website of people who have painted their counter tops, it should look good as new. I burned mine awhile back too and got a new counter top because I was afraid painting it would not hold up. (03/12/2010)

By Laniegirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need to remove burn mark on work top. Can you help?

William

Burn Mark on Countertop

Years ago I burned my countertop with a hot pan. So my ingenious husband cut out an area just the size of 4 small decorative tiles and grouted them in on either side of my stove. Now I have two built in hot pads whenever I need one. (08/20/2008)

By cajunangel

Burn Mark on Countertop

We had a burn mark on a synthetic marble counter from the previous owners. I tried other things, but just used Kit "Scratch Out" for automobile paint. It worked great. Plus it polishes the surface afterward. (08/30/2008)

By Fran

Burn Mark on Countertop

Thank you, awesome. I would have never thought of it, but using toothpaste did the trick. (10/14/2008)

By Angel

Burn Mark on Countertop

I have a counter top that's that plastic type surface. I used the old fashioned metal scrubber, some toothpaste, and bleach cleaner. I scrubbed a few times, and it was gone, no evidence of a burn mark. (02/15/2009)

By Ashley

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a burn mark on my sand colored formica counter top. How can I remove it?

Robin from Oviedo, FL

Burn Mark on Countertop

I read somewhere that toothpaste takes burn marks out and I was skeptical until the burn mark was gone 15 seconds later! (06/24/2008)

By Kate

Burn Mark on Countertop

Find a matching spray paint, whatever gloss type you want and spray paint the whole counter of the area affected. I tried toothpaste, Oxyclean and magic eraser. None of that worked. (06/26/2008)

By Rhonda

Burn Mark on Countertop

I was reading all theses tips on the internet and I thought what the heck, why not put them together, so I did. Rubbing alcohol, toothpaste and baking soda. Mix them all up and you should get a pasty mix, put it on the stain and let sit. It should come right up.
Good luck. (08/02/2008)

By pam

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
Home and Garden Repair Home KitchenFebruary 17, 2011
microfiber couch
Fixing a Burn Mark on Microfiber
Marble Countertop
Repairing a Burn Mark on a Marble Countertop
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 9:02:13 PM on 10.0.1.227 in 688 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.