Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Sharpie from Skin

2 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Removing Sharpie from Skin, Closeup of Sharpie Pen

Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin.

Solutions: Removing Sharpie from Skin

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Face Wipes Removes Sharpie Easily

I just read through all these painstaking suggestions, some of which seem pretty abrasive to your skin! Luckily before I tried any of these solutions, I used my skincare/face wipes. Lo and behold, sharpie marker GONE!

No more than £1 for 2 packets in ASDA and most supermarkets sell them. Baby wipes will probably work too! Hopefully this saves you all some time and stinky hands from alcohol and such. :)

By

Tip: Lotion For Removing Ink From Skin

I have used various brands of hand/body lotion. Rubbing alcohol works as well. If you have hand sanitizer it works too, but takes longer.

By TeeeeeeeeeeJ from Canada

Tip: Nail Polish Remover for Sharpie on Skin

Use a cotton ball and nail polish remover, works every time!

By

Tip: Easiest Way To Remove Sharpie from Skin

I have a toddler and preschooler who always seem to find their ways into things they shouldn't. After experimenting with everything I could think of to get permanent Sharpie (of all things) off of their skin (even faces), I came up with this:

Let them soak in a warm bath for about 10 minutes and get a regular wash cloth and some Dawn or a generic equivalent (if you're cheap like me). Just make sure it's the regular 2x concentrated formula. Wash the areas with it once or twice.

You don't even need to use a whole lot of the soap or that much pressure. The whole process, depending on the damage, takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. It works on walls too and doesn't take the paint off like some heavy duty products might.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Sharpie from Skin.

Question: Removing Pen Ink from Skin

How do I get ink from a pen off my fingers?

By Leah from England

Question: Removing Sharpie from Skin

I was sitting on the sofa and I was decorating my note book. I took the marker apart and started to squeeze it. A lot of stuff came out; so my question is, how do you get Sharpie off your hands?

By Rhyan R. from New Orleans, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Kay [22]05/17/2011

When my friend was all marked up for radiation treatments, she told me that baby oil would remove the permanent marker. Hope this helps.

Question: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

How can we remove Sharpie marker from my 3 year old granddaughter's legs? She has covered her thighs completely. Help.

By MaryC from Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Most Recent Answer

01/21/2011

Scroll down to the ThriftyFun archives below on this page and you will find oodles and oodles of suggestions. :-)

Question: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

How can I remove permanent black ink from my finger pad?

By Gail from Houston, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Jess [111]12/03/2011

An answer to the question advised using Mr. Clean Eraser. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS as the warning on the box specifically states. I used it (without checking the warning on the box) and my 5 year has a very bad abrasion as a result.

Editor's Note: As with any advice you find on the internet, please use caution with any substance that is not intended to be used on skin. Always read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Feedback: Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

Hot bath, scrub hard. Repeat, repeat, repeat. If you use salt to exfoliate, it'll come off faster.

Archive: Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

I have a two year old little boy that decided to express his artistic abilities with a blue Sharpie Marker. I have read the suggestions for walls and furniture, but have not seen any for getting it off of your kids.

Archive: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

How do you remove permanent marker from skin? My 5 year old is not satisfied with the myriad of markers he owns, so he went into my kitchen and stole a Sharpie marker and colored all over himself.

We got the marker off his finger and toenails by using fingernail polish remover but it's still all over his skin. Normally I would just wait for it to wear off but his eczema is reacting to it and now he has a nasty rash. Any idea how to remove the stuff off his skin safely?

By ETomihiro from Winston Salem, NC

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

I'd use rubbing alcohol on a washcloth. Second option, fingernail polish remover. Then give the little fellow a bath to remove the remover. On skin, you can also use baby oil or cooking oil, then use a bit of sugar on the oil to exfoliate or a washcloth. Be careful not to rub very hard. Kids, they make us laugh, they make us crazy!

OOPS! I just read the rest of your post (eczema). So don't use anything above except the baby oil or mineral oil. Then leave the oil on a while then rub the skin with a soft cloth. Sometimes Orange oil can really do the trick, but it might be too strong for his skin. You could try mixing it with baby oil. Also, you can make a paste of baking soda & water or baking soda & vinegar as a scrub for places he doesn't have eczema. (04/24/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

The nail polish remover you used was probably non-acetone. You can buy a fairly large bottle of acetone nail polish remover just about anywhere. You won't need to rub very hard and be sure to use cotton balls. I sometimes get eczema outbreaks myself and so I truly don't think the polish remover will irritate it and, as Cyinda said, be sure to give the little guy a bath afterward and maybe even apply some lotion afterward too. I guarantee the acetone remover will quickly and easily remove the Sharpie Art :-) (05/01/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

You might want to take him to a dermatologist. (05/01/2009)

By Maryeileen

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

Baby wipes! (05/02/2009)

By Coll3

How do I remove sharpie from my skin?

By erikan from Don't know

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

Try fingernail polish remover. It comes in a variety of "smells" so you should be able to find one that's not too objectionable to a little boy. I use fingernail polish remover on pen and marker stains all the time. (05/05/2009)

By jyoung55

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

Use baby oil to remove permanent marker from skin. My friend who had to have radiation told me this. (05/13/2009)

By indianlady

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

I used this product called Removeez. It works so great. It's citrus based and smells awesome. It takes Sharpie permanent marker off your skin in seconds. It also takes gum out of hair. A must have in every household. (06/17/2009)

By removeez

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

My 5 and 4 year old sons decided to become Indian Warriors today and thus led me to finding this website. I used Antiseptic wash on a lot of cotton balls first and then used an Exfoliating body wash (by St. Ives, Healthy Brilliance). There is still a faint trace of the once very startling warriors that were here, but all done in less than one hour. We did get some great pictures before cleaning up. Good Luck. (07/06/2009)

By Mommatotwo

How can you possibly get permanent marker off of a child who has gotten hold of a marker and drawn on herself from head to toe?

I would like to know how to remove permanent marker from my daughter's skin?

How do you remove permanent marker from a child's skin?

By Michelle from Washington, PA

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

Make up remover and a cotton ball. (03/30/2010)

By Kbritt87

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

I use baby wipes on my kids when they decide to color on themselves instead of on the paper. It might not take it all off, but it does do a good job getting most of it off. (04/02/2010)

By Coll3

Does anyone know how to get black marker pen off skin? My 3 year old decided she would use it as make up. It's on her cheeks, eyelids, and lips.

Toothpaste takes out sharpie ink off skin. The gel won't work. It has to be the paste type. Coat the area and allow it to sit a minute, then wipe off.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

RE: Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

Baby oil will remove permanent markers from skin; this tip comes from my "sis" Miss Mae. (10/17/2010)

By indianlady