Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Sharpie from Skin

Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin.

November 16, 2015 Flag

Gently rub coconut oil on skin with cloth and Sharpie comes off instantly!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

this did not work for me :(((

May 28, 2014 Flag

Use a cotton ball and nail polish remover, works every time!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It did not work at all

August 13, 2013 Flag

I just read through all these painstaking suggestions, some of which seem pretty abrasive to your skin! Luckily before I tried any of these solutions, I used my skincare/face wipes. Lo and behold, sharpie marker GONE!

No more than £1 for 2 packets in ASDA and most supermarkets sell them. Baby wipes will probably work too! Hopefully this saves you all some time and stinky hands from alcohol and such. :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2012 Flag

I have used various brands of hand/body lotion. Rubbing alcohol works as well. If you have hand sanitizer it works too, but takes longer.

By TeeeeeeeeeeJ from Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Baby wipes work just as well and are much gentler on the skin.

October 22, 2013 Flag

After experimenting with everything I could think of to get permanent Sharpie off of skin, I came up with this.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 17, 2016 Flag

My 3 yr old cousin used a purple Magic Marker as lip stick. How can I get it off?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You could use coconut butter for two reasons. First, it is all natural and second, it will help. Put some warm water on it and do it all over again.

Best Answer

My 2 year old wrote all over her face with a black sharpie. I used a baby wipe and it came off easily, no problem.

January 21, 2010 Flag

How can I remove permanent black ink from my finger pad?

By Gail from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Use Clearasil Stayclear Oil-Free Daily Face Wash. My daughter and her friend used this after they painted their face with Mr. Sketch. We used soap, water, rubbing alcohol. Nothing worked but Clearsil worked.

Best Answer

An answer to the question advised using Mr. Clean Eraser. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS as the warning on the box specifically states. I used it (without checking the warning on the box) and my 5 year has a very bad abrasion as a result.

Editor's Note: As with any advice you find on the internet, please use caution with any substance that is not intended to be used on skin. Always read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

October 31, 2016 Flag

What do I do after I take the Sharpie off of my face? Right now it burns a little. I'm not sure what to do, but it's not unbearable.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hand sanitizer

Hand sanitizer, I worked in kindergarten and got sharpie marks off children's hands and face!

May 16, 2011 Flag

I was sitting on the sofa and I was decorating my note book. I took the marker apart and started to squeeze it. A lot of stuff came out; so my question is, how do you get Sharpie off your hands?

By Rhyan R. from New Orleans, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When my friend was all marked up for radiation treatments, she told me that baby oil would remove the permanent marker. Hope this helps.

Baby oil or hand sanitizer

January 20, 2011 Flag

How can we remove Sharpie marker from my 3 year old granddaughter's legs? She has covered her thighs completely. Help.

By MaryC from Smith Mountain Lake, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Scroll down to the ThriftyFun archives below on this page and you will find oodles and oodles of suggestions. :-)

March 26, 2007 Flag

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her. My question is this, does anyone have any suggestions of how to remove this from her skin. I immediately bathed her and all that did was lighten it very little.

Chasity Barber

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try using toothpaste. (11/03/2004)

By Jo

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Two things have worked with my girls: 1) use nail polish remover to get the ink off, and 2) use rubbing alcohol. Hope this helps. (11/03/2004)

By Sheryl

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try using hair spray. Spray it on, Rinse and rub with water. Just be sure to avoid getting it in her eyes. (11/03/2004)

By Tabby from MO

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

If all else fails it will just disappear in time. We continuously grow and shed skin cells so the ink should be shed aong with the cells.
(11/03/2004)

By Jo Bodey

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

When I get ink pen stains on my hands at work (from a leaky pen!) I've found that using a drop of those new waterless hand sanitizers on the pen mark works fantasticly! It makes it disappear instantly and wipes right off! (11/05/2004)

By Songbird100

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I use a Diaper wipe. It is gentle too. Any brand will do. It does a great job. Also, you can use the Pumice Orange Hand Cleaner. (12/01/2004)

By Darrell

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

There are tatoo kits for kids now. My daughter had a birthday party and the girls were covered in ink. They had to be clean before they went home. Well we tried tooth paste, peanut butter, and finally hair spray. The hair spray did it. Thank goodness for hairspray. (02/12/2005)

By Joanne

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

When going places where they put X's on your hands I will put chapstick on my hands before. It also helps it come off if you rub the chapstick on a few hours later. (04/01/2005)

By Laura

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My daughter got ink underneath her fingernail and I could not get it clean. I am so glad I found this site. I took an alcohol wipe and wrapped it around an orangwood stick and cleaned her nail with that. It took a couple of times but it cleaned the ink up. All is well that ends well. (04/26/2005)

By Lynn K.

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Just wanted to say thanks to this site! I went to school today and came home with my hand covered in permanent ink--from a friend having a little fun. I have prom in 2 days--and was totally freaking out, but thanks to all of you who said "alcohol" I got it off for the most part, and still have tomorrow to get it off, thanx all! (04/28/2005)

By Tori

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got off printers ink from my fingers after filling ink cartricages using an old tooth brush and Crest Toothpaste. along with a little patience did wonders. Thanks for that tip! (10/05/2005)

By Johnny

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Use spray on sunscreen. It works. (11/02/2005)

By Ashton

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

We used "Natural Choice" moist wipes from Sam's. It left a very slight faded image of the marker, looks more like an old, old, old bruise than a marker remains, but it worked - amazingly. My two boys wrote all over their faces, near their eyes, on eyelids this was the safest way to clean their faces. (12/06/2005)

By Jay

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

A little bleach worked for me with little to no scrubbing (01/12/2006)

By Jason

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My hands were just covered with black printer ink. Thanks for the advice to use bleach. It worked like a charm! (04/27/2006)

By Tash

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I tried the waterless hand sanitizer, and it worked really well! (04/29/2006)

By Lana

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 21, 2010 Flag

How do you remove permanent ink on skin?

By Barbett from San Diego

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try an alcohol based antiseptic hand wash. That might remove most of it. You will still probably be left with a faint mark though. But panic not, it will wear away. Permanent markers only stain the top few layers of skin, which are dead. So it will go as the skin goes. It's not like a tattoo where the ink is injected into the living skin cells below the surface. (04/01/2009)

By alloydog

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My friend had surgery and the area was marked with a permanent marker. She was told to use baby oil to remove it.
Goodness, I never knew there were so many ways to remove it. Good to know. (04/04/2009)

By indianlady

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 1, 2009 Flag

Chasity

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I've found that using grape jelly (any kind- my husband's a seller) eliminates the ink instantly. Our printer breaks all the time, I've got two messy children who like to draw on each other with permanent markers, and I work in an office. A little jar of jelly does the trick like nothing can! (04/12/2006)

By Lynds

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The baby wipes worked instantly and seemed the most "safe" to me! My daughter drew all over herself w/ red and green sharpies. I just got the really wet ones from the bottom of the tub and it worked. Try this before those other harsh suggestions. (09/01/2006)

By Heather

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I just dumped a whole printer cartridge on my lap wearing shorts and the only thing that worked was toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. I swear by it!(05/10/2007)

By Haley

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Thank you all so much for all of your posts and suggestions. I, too, had a wedding to go to when I got lots of black ink from a printer cartridge all over my hands. I tried many of the suggestions from what I had handy without much success except some fading from toothpaste and pumice soap. What worked the best for me was Spray 'n Wash Stain Stick and Permatek Fast Orange Hand Cleaner and a nail brush. Thanks for all the tips! (05/31/2007)

By Kathy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

No Bleach! Especially on a child's skin - it can leave burns. Put a dab of Aquaphor (or other greasy cream or lotion) on the ink and rub. Then use a baby wipe to wipe it off. It comes off easy, and it's good for their skin. (06/12/2007)

By Bill M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try washing your hands with a little bit of Comet scrub. Worked for me like a charm!--put lotion on afterward.
(06/13/2007)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My 18 month old daughter got a hold of a ball point pen and got it all over herself. I used the creamy baby oil and baby wipes. All the ink came off so fast. Wish I'd known about this years ago. Thanks for the help. (06/13/2007)

By Anne M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Most magic markers are alcohol based, as are many hairsprays. Simple Isopropyl Alcohol will remove most magic marker ink from most surfaces, and I suspect that it is the alcohol in the hairspray that is actually doing the removing. I use Isopropyl Alcohol everyday in cleaning and repairing consumer electronics. (kids + computers + magic markers make for an interesting looking PC).

(07/03/2007)

By Raven

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My son got a hold of a pen and there was ink on his hands and mouth. I was lucky because I caught it so quickly and I don't think he swallowed any. I used olive oil on a rag. The ink came right off! That's it, just olive oil. I didn't want to use any chemicals and this worked! (07/07/2007)

By Mother of 9 month old

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got printer ink all over my hands filling a cartridge. I tried waterless soap, Goo Gone, nail polish remover, gas, hairspray, paint remover, nothing worked. Then I found this site and lo and behold bleach did the trick in about 10 seconds. Thanks.

Editor's Note: Bleach may work fine but please dilute it 1 to 10 parts water. Diluted bleach should work just as well and it won't be as hard on your skin. (07/24/2007)

By Jerry

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try Clorox 2 (not as dangerous as bleach) and scrub lightly with the backside of one of those sponges with a scruffy side. Worked great on ink from an ink jet cartridge. (08/21/2007)

By Richard

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I had my ink jet printer black ink explode in my hands yesterday. Couldn't clean it for about 5 hours until I got home. I tried the alcohol diluted, nothing. Tried Olive Oil, nothing. Tried that Orange hand cleaner stuff that mechanics use, it worked a little bit. I even tried acetone, but nothing. Worked out, took a shower, still there. I washed my face with Clinique foaming masque cleanser and when I when I was does, the ink was gone! So, I recommend Clinque. (09/06/2007)

By Tracy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My co-worker was working with a permanent marker and got red ink all over her hands and desk. I used a baby wipe and Colgate toothpaste, along with rubbing with a little pressure. Ink was removed within minutes. (11/01/2007)

By Deborah

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

You know what really works, Windex. I never could of imagined but it really worked, really good. (12/07/2007)

By Haley Y

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Hairspray works - just spray, wait for 5 minutes, then rub off. (12/11/2007)

By Alex

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got ink on my hands tonight, black printer ink at that. I tried everything I had that people said to us, it only faded it a little. So I used Palmolive gel dishwasher detergent it took it off immediately just barely scrubbed it in and it was gone. Make sure to rinse your hands well with water and use a moisturizer it can be a little drying. (01/12/2008)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I think using Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer is absolutely great. It leaves your hands smelling fruity fresh. (05/31/2008)

By Herbo

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Ever try hot water and soap? (06/18/2008)

By Robert

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The good old baking soda (sodium bicarbondate) that's in almost every kitchen will be far more gentle to your skin and the environment. Eco-friendly laundry booster will also do the trick. (01/11/2009)

By huhugrub

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I have suggested this before here. This works on permanent markers, ink, whatever. There is a product, used for gluing Plexiglas. It's called Weld-On #3 or #4. Put a little on a piece of cotton or something, wipe with this and presto, marks all gone. Wash well after. I keep it in the house just for this reason. By the way, it needs to be kept in a glass bottle, with a really tight fitting concave lid, otherwise it will just go away. (03/14/2009)

By C T

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 20, 2011 Flag

How do you remove permanent marker off of a 3 year old's skin?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 24, 2010 Flag

Toothpaste takes out sharpie ink off skin. The gel won't work. It has to be the paste type. Coat the area and allow it to sit a minute, then wipe off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 15, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to get black marker pen off skin? My 3 year old decided she would use it as make up. It's on her cheeks, eyelids, and lips.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2010 Flag

How do you remove permanent marker from a child's skin?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to remove permanent marker from my daughter's skin?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 16, 2009 Flag

How can you possibly get permanent marker off of a child who has gotten hold of a marker and drawn on herself from head to toe?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2009 Flag

How do I remove sharpie from my skin?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 5, 2009 Flag

How do you remove permanent marker from skin? My 5 year old is not satisfied with the myriad of markers he owns, so he went into my kitchen and stole a Sharpie marker and colored all over himself.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2009 Flag

I have a two year old little boy that decided to express his artistic abilities with a blue Sharpie Marker. I have read the suggestions for walls and furniture, but have not seen any for getting it off of your kids.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 1, 2007 Flag

Hot bath, scrub hard. Repeat, repeat, repeat. If you use salt to exfoliate, it'll come off faster.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 25, 2011
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Cleaning Permanent Marker from Wood Floors
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 8:48:36 AM on 10.0.0.246 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.