Removing Sharpie from Skin

Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin.

April 17, 2016 Flag

My 3 yr old cousin used a purple Magic Marker as lip stick. How can I get it off?

Best Answer

You could use coconut butter for two reasons. First, it is all natural and second, it will help. Put some warm water on it and do it all over again.

Best Answer

October 31, 2016 Flag

What do I do after I take the Sharpie off of my face? Right now it burns a little. I'm not sure what to do, but it's not unbearable.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hand sanitizer

January 21, 2010 Flag

How can I remove permanent black ink from my finger pad?

By Gail from Houston, TX

Best Answer

Use Clearasil Stayclear Oil-Free Daily Face Wash. My daughter and her friend used this after they painted their face with Mr. Sketch. We used soap, water, rubbing alcohol. Nothing worked but Clearsil worked.

Best Answer

November 16, 2015 Flag

Gently rub coconut oil on skin with cloth and Sharpie comes off instantly!

May 28, 2014 Flag

Use a cotton ball and nail polish remover, works every time!

Don't use after surgery. Dawn dish soap works better

February 16, 2012 Flag

I have used various brands of hand/body lotion. Rubbing alcohol works as well. If you have hand sanitizer it works too, but takes longer.

By TeeeeeeeeeeJ from Canada

Baby wipes work just as well and are much gentler on the skin.

August 13, 2013 Flag

I just read through all these painstaking suggestions, some of which seem pretty abrasive to your skin! Luckily before I tried any of these solutions, I used my skincare/face wipes.

May 16, 2011 Flag

I was sitting on the sofa and I was decorating my note book. I took the marker apart and started to squeeze it. A lot of stuff came out; so my question is, how do you get Sharpie off your hands?

By Rhyan R. from New Orleans, LA

Baby oil or hand sanitizer

October 22, 2013 Flag

After experimenting with everything I could think of to get permanent Sharpie off of skin, I came up with this.

January 20, 2011 Flag

How can we remove Sharpie marker from my 3 year old granddaughter's legs? She has covered her thighs completely. Help.

By MaryC from Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Scroll down to the ThriftyFun archives below on this page and you will find oodles and oodles of suggestions. :-)

January 21, 2010 Flag

How do you remove permanent ink on skin?

By Barbett from San Diego

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try an alcohol based antiseptic hand wash. That might remove most of it. You will still probably be left with a faint mark though. But panic not, it will wear away. Permanent markers only stain the top few layers of skin, which are dead. So it will go as the skin goes. It's not like a tattoo where the ink is injected into the living skin cells below the surface. (04/01/2009)

By alloydog

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My friend had surgery and the area was marked with a permanent marker. She was told to use baby oil to remove it.
Goodness, I never knew there were so many ways to remove it. Good to know. (04/04/2009)

By indianlady

April 1, 2009 Flag

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her. My question is this, does anyone have any suggestions of how to remove this from her skin. I immediately bathed her and all that did was lighten it very little.

Chasity

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I've found that using grape jelly (any kind- my husband's a seller) eliminates the ink instantly. Our printer breaks all the time, I've got two messy children who like to draw on each other with permanent markers, and I work in an office. A little jar of jelly does the trick like nothing can! (04/12/2006)

By Lynds

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The baby wipes worked instantly and seemed the most "safe" to me! My daughter drew all over herself w/ red and green sharpies. I just got the really wet ones from the bottom of the tub and it worked. Try this before those other harsh suggestions. (09/01/2006)

By Heather

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I just dumped a whole printer cartridge on my lap wearing shorts and the only thing that worked was toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. I swear by it!(05/10/2007)

By Haley

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Thank you all so much for all of your posts and suggestions. I, too, had a wedding to go to when I got lots of black ink from a printer cartridge all over my hands. I tried many of the suggestions from what I had handy without much success except some fading from toothpaste and pumice soap. What worked the best for me was Spray 'n Wash Stain Stick and Permatek Fast Orange Hand Cleaner and a nail brush. Thanks for all the tips! (05/31/2007)

By Kathy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

No Bleach! Especially on a child's skin - it can leave burns. Put a dab of Aquaphor (or other greasy cream or lotion) on the ink and rub. Then use a baby wipe to wipe it off. It comes off easy, and it's good for their skin. (06/12/2007)

By Bill M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try washing your hands with a little bit of Comet scrub. Worked for me like a charm!--put lotion on afterward.
(06/13/2007)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My 18 month old daughter got a hold of a ball point pen and got it all over herself. I used the creamy baby oil and baby wipes. All the ink came off so fast. Wish I'd known about this years ago. Thanks for the help. (06/13/2007)

By Anne M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Most magic markers are alcohol based, as are many hairsprays. Simple Isopropyl Alcohol will remove most magic marker ink from most surfaces, and I suspect that it is the alcohol in the hairspray that is actually doing the removing. I use Isopropyl Alcohol everyday in cleaning and repairing consumer electronics. (kids + computers + magic markers make for an interesting looking PC).

(07/03/2007)

By Raven

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My son got a hold of a pen and there was ink on his hands and mouth. I was lucky because I caught it so quickly and I don't think he swallowed any. I used olive oil on a rag. The ink came right off! That's it, just olive oil. I didn't want to use any chemicals and this worked! (07/07/2007)

By Mother of 9 month old

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got printer ink all over my hands filling a cartridge. I tried waterless soap, Goo Gone, nail polish remover, gas, hairspray, paint remover, nothing worked. Then I found this site and lo and behold bleach did the trick in about 10 seconds. Thanks.

Editor's Note: Bleach may work fine but please dilute it 1 to 10 parts water. Diluted bleach should work just as well and it won't be as hard on your skin. (07/24/2007)

By Jerry

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try Clorox 2 (not as dangerous as bleach) and scrub lightly with the backside of one of those sponges with a scruffy side. Worked great on ink from an ink jet cartridge. (08/21/2007)

By Richard

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I had my ink jet printer black ink explode in my hands yesterday. Couldn't clean it for about 5 hours until I got home. I tried the alcohol diluted, nothing. Tried Olive Oil, nothing. Tried that Orange hand cleaner stuff that mechanics use, it worked a little bit. I even tried acetone, but nothing. Worked out, took a shower, still there. I washed my face with Clinique foaming masque cleanser and when I when I was does, the ink was gone! So, I recommend Clinque. (09/06/2007)

By Tracy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My co-worker was working with a permanent marker and got red ink all over her hands and desk. I used a baby wipe and Colgate toothpaste, along with rubbing with a little pressure. Ink was removed within minutes. (11/01/2007)

By Deborah

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

You know what really works, Windex. I never could of imagined but it really worked, really good. (12/07/2007)

By Haley Y

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Hairspray works - just spray, wait for 5 minutes, then rub off. (12/11/2007)

By Alex

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got ink on my hands tonight, black printer ink at that. I tried everything I had that people said to us, it only faded it a little. So I used Palmolive gel dishwasher detergent it took it off immediately just barely scrubbed it in and it was gone. Make sure to rinse your hands well with water and use a moisturizer it can be a little drying. (01/12/2008)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I think using Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer is absolutely great. It leaves your hands smelling fruity fresh. (05/31/2008)

By Herbo

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Ever try hot water and soap? (06/18/2008)

By Robert

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The good old baking soda (sodium bicarbondate) that's in almost every kitchen will be far more gentle to your skin and the environment. Eco-friendly laundry booster will also do the trick. (01/11/2009)

By huhugrub

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I have suggested this before here. This works on permanent markers, ink, whatever. There is a product, used for gluing Plexiglas. It's called Weld-On #3 or #4. Put a little on a piece of cotton or something, wipe with this and presto, marks all gone. Wash well after. I keep it in the house just for this reason. By the way, it needs to be kept in a glass bottle, with a really tight fitting concave lid, otherwise it will just go away. (03/14/2009)

By C T

March 26, 2007 Flag

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her.

January 20, 2011 Flag

How do you remove permanent marker off of a 3 year old's skin?

November 24, 2010 Flag

Toothpaste takes out sharpie ink off skin. The gel won't work. It has to be the paste type. Coat the area and allow it to sit a minute, then wipe off.

October 15, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to get black marker pen off skin? My 3 year old decided she would use it as make up. It's on her cheeks, eyelids, and lips.

August 27, 2010 Flag

How do you remove permanent marker from a child's skin?

March 30, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to remove permanent marker from my daughter's skin?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 25, 2011
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Permanent Ink
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Metal
🎉
🎄