3 Year Old Housetrained Dog Started Peeing in the House

I have a 3 year old Cocker Spaniel that I adopted from the pound 5 months ago. He came home and was amazing, never an accident in the house, and a great personality. I felt very lucky to have him. Then I met my boyfriend, who loves dogs and has a 13 year old Lab.

We've been staying at his house, and my dog has been great and getting along fine with the Lab. But about 3 weeks ago, he peed inside on a white floor mat and on a white down comforter at his house. We don't know when he did it, but the boyfriend clearly wasn't happy.

My dog is let out at appropriate times, so he has a lot of opportunity to pee outside. Last week, my dog let out a little poop in our bed. I think this is unrelated because of a stomach bug, but regardless, it was bad enough. This morning, we found pee on a grey dog pillow, which is large for a Lab, so I have to get it specialty cleaned.

He peed before bed, just like every night, so he should have been fine for the morning. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make him stop? I want to save my relationship and my pocketbook!

By Lauren

Answers

It doesn't seem surprising that there are a few accidents when a dog is making this big an adjustment. A new home, new buddy and one new master. I would just be patient, make sure he gets walked so he is relaxed, and make sure he is not getting less attention than he did before. This dog has had a lot to adjust to in a short period of time. The whole situation gives you a chance to see if the new boyfriend has enough patience for a long term relationship. Dogs have an amazing way of separating Mr Right from Mr. Right Now.

Pets Dogs House TrainingMay 6, 2011
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄
🍂