Browsing: Keeping Squirrels Out of Your Attic

Squirrel Problem

I have squirrels nesting in my attic. My husband nosed around up there one day and found that they've been chewing through our phone and electrical lines, a huge fire hazard! Does anyone have any suggestions on humane ways to drive them away?

Regina F.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Rubber snakes bought from a discount or dollar store will scare them away. I have placed them in my planters that they dig in and also under by BBQ grill where they get into the grease catcher cup. It's working!

put a few boxes of moth balls in your attic the squirrels hate the smell

You might call your county animal control to see if they can lend you a trap. If not, try using a "Have A Hart" trap, they are easy to set and you can release the animal outside. Then you need to make necessary repairs so they will not return.

We are overrun with squirrels in our yard and my husband traps and releases them about a mile away in a park or field. They are destructive to fruit trees.

Syd Barr

Dunkirk, MD

My landlady and I had the same problem, so we contacted our local humane society for some assistance. Their wildlife department had highly recommended this man's business to us: "A Better Deal Animal Control, Inc." His name is Dave Gallanis,and he does fast, humane removal and relocation of the animals. He also does prevention and exclusion work and installs chimney caps.

We were very happy with the results he gave us. He gave us a total of twelve visits and he charged us $150.00.

This price also included the use of several different traps and the bait to help entice the animals into the traps. He removed several squirrels and raccoons from our crawl space attic, and he stopped by our house everyday for twelve days straight.

He is located in New Berlin, Wisconsin and his phone number is (414)282-3700. Dave does excellent work and he was also the most reasonable in price. Other pest removal places charged for each individual visit, and they all don't treat the animals in a humane manner. I highly recommend him. - Kitty Wuerl

hi. my name is mike. i'm having problems with the squirrels going into the bird aviary. how can i get rid of the squirrels with rubber snakes? do i hang the snakes on trees,fences,or the bird aviary itself?can you help me out ? thank you.

mike

We created a new request for Mike so that it will get noticed. It can be found here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf819814.tip.html

I had the same problem and a friend suggested I "borrow" a cat to put up there for one day... (of course leave some water and food for the cat) - put the cat up into the attic in the morning, take him out in the evening) do this for 2 days and the problem is solved!! They fear cats tremendously, and the smell of the cat will drive them away... it worked for me!

We had same problem in our house. Were told that if trapped, the critters must be removed at least 12-miles away; and you will only trap about 10% of squirrels in your neighborhood. Others will follow the scent of previous squirrel residents. What a life they have - free roof over their head, heating, cooling, comfortable flooring in the form of insulation, and tasty snacks in the form of electric and phone wiring, and possibly carrying diseases. I concider them rodents with cute tails.

Please visit us at www.squirrelevictor.com....We at Evictor Products have a product called the "Squirrel Evictor". It uses a high intensity strobe light that annoys their sensitive eyes and removes them from a residence safely and harmlessly. It is a more humane method of eviction that will make trapping squirrels obsolete! It is cheaper and more efficient than trapping.

GARLIC. Minced garlic around their entry sites. A squirrel got into my attic through the soffit and set up house. Minced garlic put into the attic at the soffit area finally drove it out. I used an extension pole with a light bulb-changing cone on the tip. I tied a string to a knot in the bottom of the inside of a narrow plastic bag. I put the bag into the cone and secured the top of the bag to the pole. I then filled the bag that was tucked into the cone with minced garlic, then raised that end into the soffit, then pulled the string and that dumped the garlic into the attic. If the garlic pieces are bigger than minced, the squirrel will just bat them into the insulation and bury them there.

I have been working on garlic vs. mouse. Mouse leaves, but returns after 3 weeks. Pepper sauce aids the garlic. I'll try peppers in vinegar in a spray bottle for the holes where plumbing gives access to the house. Then I'll stuff those holes with Spic 'n Span steel wool.

We had squirrels in our attic last fall and were told to put moth balls. We put several boxes of moth balls in the attic. The squirrels stayed - WE had to move out of our home for a few days, but they didn't seem to mind the moth ball smell. We had a moth ball smell for 3-4 months - it was bad! We ended up putting metal plates on the places where they chewed their way in to the cedar on our house. They are back! Going to plan B---

They tear up my chair cushions to get cotton out I guess to make a nest--I have replaced 2 times

Use Rataway, it is nonpoisonous stops rats, squirrels, mice, raccoons, woodpeckers, dogs, puppy's, cats pigeons

from nesting and chewing. go to Rataway dot com

email Rick Suddes at a o l . c o m or

ratawayman at a o l c o m

Squirrel was making a nest in my work van. It ate the wires and cost me more then 2,000 in damages and still fighting with it.

For $4.99 my simple, safe, humane, inexpensive, effective, reusable, environmentally friendly, and long lasting way of getting squirrels out of your attic will do the trick and restore your peace of mind. Search eBay for squirrels in the attic $4.99

I don't know why, but there are more squirrels this year than I've ever seen, my problem? Somehow they are getting into my garage! I had babies in there in the spring and recently my husband found two just inside the garage door and had to shoo them out. They're cute, at a distance, but how do I stop them from coming in the garage? PLEASE HELP! I'm at my wits end!

What do I do? These attic squirrels are driving me crazy!

We found the hole in the eaves where the squirrels were coming into the house. Imho, this is the most important thing to do because if you don't take care of the entry, you'll always have a problem.

I live in a rural area. In the fall, field mice enter houses to keep warm. We keep out a constant supply of Rid-Ex. (sp) The mice take it and store it away for food. I don't feel too badly if the squirrels eat it, too. After all they are rodents and in spite of their cuteness can spread fleas and disease.

Squirrels going through fascia board into attic.
Keeping Squirrels Out of Your Attic
Home and Garden Home Improvement Pest ControlJanuary 31, 2001
A squirrel eating a pumpkin in a vegetable garden.
Keeping Squirrels Out of a Vegetable Garden
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
tiny grey squirrel
Caring for an Orphaned Baby Squirrel
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:55:50 AM on 10.0.2.28 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.