Quick and Easy Meals Using the Freezer (PDF)

Making meals ahead and freezing them in single-serve sizes can save you time and money. And, homemade freezer meals will be lower in fat and sodium than store bought ones.

Contents include:

1 Page(s)

• Things you will need
  • Making Freezer Meals
  • Keep It Safe

This article is available in PDF format. Click here to download it.

Published by: Connecticut / Rhode Island Family Nutrition Program

I've tried the Once-A-Month cooking fad and found my own way of doing things. I didn't care for the recipes in the books you purchase, and I mainly cook from scratch as it is, so I just double or triple my food as I'm cooking it, and eat one, then freeze the rest...it keeps me stockpiled. The books are good for tips on how to freeze items, and give you a hand in organizing, but other than that, don't waste your money. If you can cook a casserole, or brown meat, you can cook 3 casseroles and brown 10 lbs. of beef at once and freeze it. Works just the same!

I agree 100% with Lilith June about "OAMC" fad.

Many think this idea is something new, but I will tell you that I come from a large family of 5 kids + 2 parents and lots of animals and my mother was always busy keeping up with so many things but she was smart enough that while she was already preparing meals, she'd just make extra and stick it in the upright freezer for another time.

Our freezer was FULL of all kinds of GOOD stuff! And leftovers are ALWAYS BETTER the next time around after the flavors have blended. Mmm-Mmm!:)

If mom were alive today and was told about the "Once-A-Month-Cooking" idea, she would laugh her head off!

Don't forget dessert! When baking I sometimes make an extra batch of brownies or cake and put the extra in the freezer. It is great when someone invites you over for coffee or a last minute BBQ invite, I can just take a dessert out of the freezer.

As a matter of fact, just yesterday this saved me! I baked a bundt cake and half of it stuck to the bottom of the pan. I discovered this at midnight and wasn't about to bake another cake that I needed for today. Luckily I had some pumpkin loaves in the freezer and it saved me!

A group of kids with their dad preparing tacos for a quick weeknight dinner.
Quick Meal Ideas for Busy Families
Food and Recipes Freezing Freezer MealsMarch 4, 2004
Kenmore Fridge
Kenmore Freezer Not Working
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook
A cooked whole lobster.
Freezing Lobster