Information on Zebra Finches

I have 4 zebra finches, 2 males and 2 females. One of the females laid four eggs in one nest and is sitting on a different nest with all the others. After 1 week or something she laid 4 more in another nest and all of the birds sit on them, but during the day they don't. If anybody could explain please? Thank you.

By Fayed from Giza, EG

I called my sister-in-law who once owned Zebra finches as I know nothing about them and she said, "The female will sit on the nest much longer and hardly get off it the closer the time comes for the eggs to hatch. When the female first lays her eggs, she will leave her nest a few days for food and water and will get back on the nest. It's more the bird's nature."

April 2, 2011 Flag

I just got 4 Zebra finches, 2 girls and 2 boys. I have both pairs in the same cage. One pair already laid 4 eggs. But, the father is always sitting on the eggs, and the mother sits on them only sometimes. Is this normal?

By AnimalGirl1O1 from North Hills, CA

Answers:

Information on Zebra Finches

It's normal for the male and female finches to share incubation time. As it get closer to the time the babies will hatch, momma will begin spending more and more time on the eggs. She's off eating to bolster herself up so she can feed the little ones.

Once they hatch, for a day or so, she'll probably spend all her time with the chicks feeding and guarding them; the male bird will feed her. After a few days, the male will be allowed to keep the chicks warm while mom goes on a brief feeding frenzy. (06/15/2010)

By MsHawklet

June 12, 2010 Flag

I have a pair of Zebra finches that have both been sitting on 8 eggs for almost three weeks now. My concern is when I look at the eggs I see yolk and a hollow space.

I read somewhere that I should be able to see small veins. Does this mean the eggs are not fertile? This happened with the last clutch (I tossed them out at 3 1/2 weeks). I don't understand what's going on.

By Christie from Dubuque, IA

Answers:

Information on Zebra Finches

I have had finches also. Female birds can lay eggs that are not fertile. Finch incubation is from 13-18 days. If they haven't hatched by then they are not fertile. I would just get them out of the cage and dispose of them. Anyway, good luck. (01/04/2010)

By LULUbobo

Information on Zebra Finches

If you think that the eggs are not fertile, go ahead and let her sit on them for a couple of weeks. If you take them away before she feels that she has completed her "mission" she will continue to lay, and could very possibly get calcium-depletion from the continued egg production. (01/11/2010)

By one.of.a.kind

Information on Zebra Finches

I assume you are candling the eggs to visualize them. That is good. Are the parents turning the eggs in the nest? They should be if they think there is a possibility. The parents can delay hatching and slow development by varying the temperature of the eggs.
In the last clutch, when you "tossed the eggs" did you crack them open to see what was going on?
Usually the parents will move the eggs out of the nest or quit sitting them if they are not developing. They will then mate and replace them.

Maybe your male or female is infertile. Check their nutrition, calcium source, and water supply. Vary their food. Grow some of your own. It they can get some direct sun on part of the cage part of the day, that is a good thing. (05/18/2010)

By consulted

January 4, 2010 Flag

I am new to birds. I recently bought Zebra Finches. Now I see there are eggs in the nest. Does anyone have info on these birds that they can share with me? Thanks.

Sharyl

Answers:

Information on Zebra Finches

Check out this site:

http://zebrafinch.info/

(07/23/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Information on Zebra Finches

We recently had 2 babies hatch. I give my finches millet, spinach, boiled egg, orange slices, lettuces, and sometimes 1/2 piece of whole wheat toast (good for their beaks). What a joy they are. Just leave them alone; parents will take care of them. On their own they will leave the nest, but let the parents feed them. Have fun. (07/11/2007)

By Reina

Information on Zebra Finches

They will lay a few eggs, and within a few weeks you will have some babies hatching! (02/20/2008)

By Ingrid

Information on Zebra Finches

Just leave the clutch alone and make sure you have enough shredded paper so the male can take it to the nest, and the nest is up high. Once they hatch, throw in some boiled eggs, just a little bit and some green leaf lettuce. (09/12/2008)

By missy

Caring for Zebra Finches
Caring for Zebra Finches
Pets BirdsApril 2, 2011
female gold finch
Determining the Gender of a Finch
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Pair of Zebra Finches on Perch
Breeding Zebra Finches
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches
🎉
🎄