Sweat Odor on Faux Fur

I bought a lovely vintage 60s faux leopard fur coat from eBay recently but when I received it I found it smelt strongly of stale sweat but was unable to send it back. I have had it dry cleaned hoping that this would freshen it up but it did nothing to improve the odour! The dry cleaner said that the perspiration odour had gone through the lining and impregnated the fur fabric, which is 75% modacrylic and 25% mohair.

I don't know what to do about this now. I'm not sure whether this type of fabric can be wet washed carefully by hand which probably is more likely to lessen the odour, or alternatively whether any type of spray on odour neutralizing product would be sufficiently effective. The manufacturer's label says CLEAN AS FUR so I guess it isn't a good idea to put it in the bath! Can anyone offer me any good advice here?

S Gray from England

I can't say for sure that any of these will work, but they are worth trying.

Put the coat in a paper bag. Fill another bag with kitty litter. Put the bag with the coat in the bag with the kitty litter. Place in the sun for several days.

Spray the coat with a mixture of water and white vinegar. You might want to test this first on the lining or an edge. Let dry.

Febreeze sometimes works on BO. Try that if nothing else works.

You might try putting in a box with some charcoal briquets to absorb the odor. Don't put the bricquets on the jacket just next to it and seal up the box. Also you might try some baking soda. You should be able to sprinkle in on and leave for a few minutes and then shake it off. Hope you did not pay a whole lot for the jacket.

I'd try to turn the coat inside out, with lining showing, and gently spray with an odor remover with an enzyme activator. These can usually be found in pet & urine remover formulas and they smell nice & work great! The enzymes will "eat" the odor. Just like the sweat penetrated the coat lining to the fur without ruining it, you might be able to get the odor remover to penetrate a little to the fur without damage. Worth a try. I'd test it out on a little section first.

Good luck

I have done this with my leather coat with a fur collar after having been in a smoke filled place all night (which makes me gag lol) First I sprayed the coat with Febreeze and hung it out to dry over night.. Most of the time all smells are gone by morning, but If not, I have also put the coat in the dryer for only about 5 minutes on low with about 5 bounty sheets in with it.. that usually does the trick with no damage to the fur or leather.

This works for almost any "smelly" item (clothing, refrigerators, freezers, semi-trailers with stinky cargo....everything!), no matter what the smell:

Turn your faux fur wrong side out, & place it into a large plastic bag, along with an uncovered bowl (or other open container) with about 7 oz. of fresh coffee grounds in it. Seal bag with twist tie, but be careful not to spill the coffee grounds....it may not hurt your fur, but play it safe. Leave it this way for a few days. Remove fur from bag, do sniff test.....the offensive odor should be gone. See my note in the tips section.

Donna....in the Land of Oz, USA

Wow! I would just like to thank everyone who has responded to my cry for help and advice. What a wonderful thing the internet is!

There are certainly a number of very interesting and diverse suggestions here and I don't know which to try first! I think I'll have a go with the coffee, charcoal and baking powder remedies first and if they don't work I'll move on to the ones which involve getting the coat a bit wet.

Watch this space!

On real fur they say to rub in cornmeal and brush out.....lightly for both, you don't want to damage the fur, otherwise send it to a furrier, a dry cleaner is not quip to work with such garments

MAC (modified acryllic) can be machine washed in cold water. Mohair (N.B. strange mix faux and angora together? are you sure?), but if it is the following washing instructions for the real material. Mohair is a smooth fibre so a good shake will dislodge most dust and dirt particles. If the product needs further washing it can be handwashed in water with a light wool detergent or some fabric softener.

Try to avoid over washing as this can affect the pile. Rinse with clean water. It can be spun dry and then hung over a line or laid flat to dry. I work for the largest producer of faux furs in Europe.

Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingJanuary 6, 2007
Faux Fur
Fixing Matted Faux Fur
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
🎉
🎄